Firefox HTML Inspector still available

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
slacky

Firefox HTML Inspector still available

Unread post by slacky » 2012-10-13, 06:24

Firefox came with that built-in HTML/CSS editor/inspector. But it is still available Palemoon. (I thought it was removed).
I actually like that it's there, but is it supposed to be there?

It can be accessed with Ctrl+Shift+I in Palemoon_x86 15.2

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Firefox HTML Inspector still available

Unread post by Blacklab » 2012-10-13, 08:47

Well spotted Batman! :) Assumed (because that's what Mozilla said)that the built-in Inspector had been completely removed some time ago! With PM 12.x I went through lots of CTRL + other key combinations looking to see if there were any hidden shortcodes that were still available but fallen into disuse/no longer publicised - so I must have missed it? Will have to have a play and look for the manual/guide - must be somewhere in Mozilla's many sites?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-10-13, 10:19

Some of the developer tool code is still present in Pale Moon, although disabled. Complete removal of the developer tools is something I haven't been able to manage without breaking other parts of the browser. For example, session restore is extremely likely to break if the inspector/editor is removed - which is an undocumented and strange dependency that I have not yet found in the code.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2012-10-13, 10:25

But PM don't load the code for the tool if i didn't start it, or?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-10-13, 10:28

The code is only loaded on-demand.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

slacky

Unread post by slacky » 2012-10-13, 11:38

So, what if access was given to the user to stuff that are not completely removed. You can still block partially removed stuff that may cause instabilities.
Or would that be a development hell when you finally manage to remove it (Users demanding it back) ?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-10-13, 12:14

slacky wrote:Or would that be a development hell when you finally manage to remove it (Users demanding it back) ?
^This. You understand the dilemma.

It's "not intended to be in the build" even if it is still there. So actually tacking it on to the UI like Firefox will cause issues for me because the smaller but more vocal group of web developers will nag the hell out of me when actually removed, which I really don't want.

By the way, the shortcut shouldn't work if the inspector is disabled in preferences. So that's a bug.

EDIT: Filed: bug #801282
Last edited by Moonchild on 2012-10-13, 12:25, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Bug filed.