Infuriating Google Ads on YT

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.
Please direct questions that are Mac or Linux-specific (dealing with installation and OS integration) to the appropriate Linux or Mac board.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only. The main focus here is on Pale Moon on Windows. Please direct your questions that are specific for Linux and Mac to the dedicated boards for those operating systems.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Locked
missbliss

Infuriating Google Ads on YT

Post by missbliss » 2017-03-23, 04:58

OK so now that everything else is working -the demonic entities aka google ads on YT are cropping into my consciousness for at least 1 second more than needed. Can someone please tell me the workaround this? TIA

User avatar
Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side
Posts: 3802
Joined: 2015-10-06, 16:59
Location: Los Angeles CA USA

Re: Infuriating Google Ads on YT

Post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-03-23, 05:04

You could try an add-blocker extension, i.e. ABPrime, uBlock, Bluhell Firewall (both of the latter two do a lot more than block adds, well actually at some level so does the first but not to the extent of the other two) and there are many others.... uBlock does a great job on the evil Yahoo email as well which is so persistent and deeply embedded to the extent ads are even in the actual inbox interface.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

CharmCityCrab
Banned user
Banned user
Posts: 638
Joined: 2015-06-25, 00:47

Re: Infuriating Google Ads on YT

Post by CharmCityCrab » 2017-03-23, 05:58

Ad-Block Latitide is another ad-blocking option, and it is made specifically and exclusively for Pale Moon.

Anyway, if you are just looking to block ads on youtube and want to leave ads unblocked everywhere else (or on a few specific sites), I think most of these extensions offer a way to do that.

missbliss

Re: Infuriating Google Ads on YT

Post by missbliss » 2017-03-23, 06:06

CharmCityCrab wrote:Ad-Block Latitide is another ad-blocking option, and it is made specifically and exclusively for Pale Moon.

Anyway, if you are just looking to block ads on youtube and want to leave ads unblocked everywhere else (or on a few specific sites), I think most of these extensions offer a way to do that.
Am using Latitude right now - and it's not blocking ads on YT - at all. I want all ads blocked - everything - especially those annoying dialogue boxes that slide into center - ugh!

User avatar
Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side
Posts: 3802
Joined: 2015-10-06, 16:59
Location: Los Angeles CA USA

Re: Infuriating Google Ads on YT

Post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-03-23, 07:06

missbliss wrote:
CharmCityCrab wrote:Ad-Block Latitide is another ad-blocking option, and it is made specifically and exclusively for Pale Moon.

Anyway, if you are just looking to block ads on youtube and want to leave ads unblocked everywhere else (or on a few specific sites), I think most of these extensions offer a way to do that.
Am using Latitude right now - and it's not blocking ads on YT - at all. I want all ads blocked - everything - especially those annoying dialogue boxes that slide into center - ugh!
It is my understanding that it is recommend that ABL (that you've mentioned) should be replaced with ABPrime (which I've done) for PM27, let me look it up: https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=15015&p=108447&hilit=abprime#p108447

Give uBlock a try.... (you can still leave the other ad-blocker while testing uBlock).... I use both uBlock and bluhell firewall....
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

missbliss

Re: Infuriating Google Ads on YT

Post by missbliss » 2017-03-23, 07:36

Pale Moon Rising wrote:
missbliss wrote:
CharmCityCrab wrote:Ad-Block Latitide is another ad-blocking option, and it is made specifically and exclusively for Pale Moon.


Give uBlock a try.... (you can still leave the other ad-blocker while testing uBlock).... I use both uBlock and bluhell firewall....
OK - am giving it shot. Let's see how this works out :) Thanks!

User avatar
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru
Posts: 28465
Joined: 2011-08-28, 17:27
Location: Tranås, SE
Contact:

Re: Infuriating Google Ads on YT

Post by Moonchild » 2017-03-23, 10:19

Pale Moon Rising wrote:It is my understanding that it is recommend that ABL (that you've mentioned) should be replaced with ABPrime
No, it is not recommended nor discouraged. It may be recommended by Tobin ;), but it is a choice -- they work slightly differently and both have their pros and cons. The biggest pro of ABPrime is also its biggest con: it will load and set up all filters before the browser initializes. This means (pro) that it will always block everything, even on the first page you visit if you automatically restore your session, and (con) this will delay browser startup, for some people by up to 20 seconds (even on my dev machine it was restrictively slow for my use, slower machines would need more time).
"Son, in life you do not fight battles because you expect to win, you fight them merely because they need to be fought." -- Snagglepuss
Image

User avatar
New Tobin Paradigm
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side
Posts: 8261
Joined: 2012-10-09, 19:37
Location: The factory in Neuconsin

Re: Infuriating Google Ads on YT

Post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-03-23, 16:26

My recommendation is use what works the best for you but let me clear up any lingering confusion.. If you liked Adblock Plus or Ablock Edge in the PM 24 era or ABL 3.0.x use ABL 4.x. If you liked ABL 3.5 when it was in super long beta or the five minutes it was released fully.. Use ABPrime. If you don't like The Adblock Family at all use uBlock.

If none of that suites you then find something else. Choice is a wonderful thing!
Look lively. LOOK LIVELY!
Image

missbliss

Re: Infuriating Google Ads on YT

Post by missbliss » 2017-03-23, 16:45

Matt A Tobin wrote:My recommendation is use what works the best for you but let me clear up any lingering confusion.. If you liked Adblock Plus or Ablock Edge in the PM 24 era or ABL 3.0.x use ABL 4.x. If you liked ABL 3.5 when it was in super long beta or the five minutes it was released fully.. Use ABPrime. If you don't like The Adblock Family at all use uBlock.

If none of that suites you then find something else. Choice is a wonderful thing!
Good to know. Am going with uBlock for now. So far it seems to be working though I'm still in testing mode. I'm going to put this puppy through its paces and then some.

Thank you !

Locked