Change on Pale Moon 15.2 beta - about "The identity panel ha

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
buggy

Change on Pale Moon 15.2 beta - about "The identity panel ha

Unread post by buggy » 2012-10-09, 20:53

Change on Pale Moon 15.2 beta - about "The identity panel has been redesigned"

Hello

For example here: https://www.google.fr/webhp
With PM 15.1 it was perfect i used Site Favicon in Urlbar as addon and all was well. Since the update to .2 it's not the case so i desactived it but it's the same i can't have a clean panel.
So can you explain to me the usefulness of having two perfectly identical icons now in this panel please?

Rohugh

Re: Change on Pale Moon 15.2 beta - about "The identity pane

Unread post by Rohugh » 2012-10-09, 21:16

I only see one Google and one lock icon in that page you linked to.

Google France

buggy

Unread post by buggy » 2012-10-09, 21:28

Thanks for your response but why i must read threads about that i have not changed anything since 15.1.
What i see: Image or Image

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-10-09, 21:42

It looks like "deactivating" didn't actually remove the overlay. Try completely uninstalling the add-on; you probably don't need it anymore anyway, as Pale Moon will always show the favicon now. That, or, another add-on might be interfering at the moment.

Google.fr shows as-intended for me as well, no problems. 2 Favicons should certainly not be there, the browse UI doesn't include 2 spaces for it.

EDIT: also: Pale Moon 15.2 isn't a beta. It's a release version.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

buggy

Unread post by buggy » 2012-10-09, 21:49

You're right i removed the addon and now i see only one icon. But now i have the text "google.fr" i do not want this, how can i make my own choice now?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-10-09, 21:57

See the Pale Moon 15.1 changelog:

Restore support for the browser.identity.ssl_domain_display setting
Support for this parameter, allowing you to select whether to display the domain verified domain name, the complete host name, or nothing (used in the previous point) was removed in the Firefox 15 code base. This has been restored.

Set this parameter (browser.identity.ssl_domain_display) in about:config to 0 to not display any text
See also: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.ident ... in_display
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

buggy

Unread post by buggy » 2012-10-09, 22:03

Ok thank you i'll try tomorrow... but i have not this problem with Firefox!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-10-09, 22:10

Firefox doesn't display domain verified names anymore. This functionality was completely removed in v15 (i.e.: not even an option anymore, at all.)

The "problem" is in Firefox for the other situation (and Pale Moon's default) for actually displaying it (or not being able to). Just because you prefer to have no text and Pale Moon has a default to show it, doesn't automatically make it a "problem with Pale Moon". Quite the opposite is true in this case.

buggy

Unread post by buggy » 2012-10-09, 22:21

For me it's always a problem when an addon do not work, in this case it was easy to turn our choice as we wanted but now i must go to about:config, if you want distribute a browser for only professional users tell us.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-10-09, 22:45

I think you're pulling this way out of proportion. At least you still have a choice.

It wasn't ever "easy to turn your choice as you wanted" before in any iteration of Firefox or Pale Moon. To change this display option, you have always had to go into about:config or use an add-on that would do this for you. In fact, the work put into redesigning the identity panel and address bar for secure sites (including restoring the domain verified name display) was to make browsing safer for everyone.

buggy

Unread post by buggy » 2012-10-09, 23:05

I talk in general for addons not only for this one. When you make minors config's change you must try to keep all functionality to keep Pale Moon compatible with useful addons, you must consider newbies and also the addons developers you don't think.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-10-09, 23:30

I'm sorry, but there is no way in heaven or hell I can keep Pale Moon compatible with all add-ons under the sun. I try to keep as much compatibility as possible with Firefox, for the sake of add-ons, but that stops at the point where it would prevent individual development.

Pale moon is a different product, as such, add-ons made for Firefox are never completely guaranteed to work with Pale Moon. Especially if an add-on hooks into the user interface to make changes to it, the add-on will not work in Pale Moon if that very user interface element is designed differently. The only way to keep it "compatible" would be to not change anything (in which case you may as well use Firefox...).

You are also confusing two different features of the add-on here: display of the favicon versus an unrelated option to show or hide the SSL domain. Those are two distinctly different functions. Because one function breaks over the different UI in Pale Moon and you have to uninstall the add-on as a result, you also lose the other, unrelated function in that add-on.
You always have the option to look around for a different add-on that would give you the feature you want, if you don't want to go into about:config.

buggy

Unread post by buggy » 2012-10-09, 23:43

I use Pale Moon only for that, because some addons i like the most works with it and not with Firefox, if you choose to not keep attention to this of course i return to Firefox cause for example for security as you talk i make tests on specialized sites with both and Pale Moon 15 seems to have a big problem, far behind. That's why i talked about beta version also.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2012-10-10, 07:05

Lol buggy i think you are only here to troll.
You don't read Moonchild's post.

It is easy as hell to change a setting in about:config. In firefox to must do this too, if you wan't change settings.

Moonchild add these features for us users and simple to config. Firefox doesn't have this. But i think to better go back fo firefox. So bye!

And btw: Pale Moon 15.2 isn't a beta anymore. It's a f**king stable final

buggy

Unread post by buggy » 2012-10-10, 08:15

Maybe stable but perfectible. You make change for security i talk security why not. In tests Pale Moon is always behind all browsers, Firefox is always better placed. Here each time someone talk about problems to alert about something always the same guys to think they are trolls or worse to close threads, it's not new. OKAY your browser is perfect.

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2012-10-10, 08:18

dark_moon wrote:Lol buggy i think you are only here to troll.
+1 :thumbup: Have to say that's what I've been thinking for a long time.... too much nitpicking and then ignoring MC's and other members' patient explanations and assistance? Nobody is forcing you to use Pale Moon if you don't like it - MC could hardly be more obliging towards his (genuine) user-base! :)

steviem1

Unread post by steviem1 » 2012-10-10, 08:42

buggy wrote:In tests Pale Moon is always behind all browsers, Firefox is always better placed.
Not true, :wtf: what tests, specify your source of information? And anyway, what does this have to do with this topic?

I seem to remember a similar thread you started some time ago, where you also completely ignored help and advice from other forum members and totally agree with the comments made by Blacklab and Dark_moon above.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin » 2012-10-10, 08:46

Buggy can go cool his heels for a little. He seems to think that he can be king of this castle and get a browser perfectly pre-configured just the way he wants it, and if not, makes a scene? Please.

Moonchild has better things to do than to contend with this kind of nonsense!
steviem1 wrote:I seem to remember a similar thread you started some time ago, where you also completely ignored help and advice
Correct, and already received a warning for that. That's two strikes now.
Did you know that moral outrage triggers the pleasure centers of the brain? It's unlikely you can actually get addicted to outrage, but there is plausible evidence that you can become strongly predisposed to it.
Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p002w557/episodes/downloads - "The cooperative species" and "Behaving better online"