Pale Moon v27.2.0 reported as virus by Avast

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
pHROZEN gHOST

Pale Moon v27.2.0 reported as virus by Avast

Unread post by pHROZEN gHOST » 2017-03-23, 03:00

I see reports of older versions with this issue. But there's nothing about the latest and greatest.
I just installed the update via "about pale moon". And, as soon as it runs I am told it has a virus.
I submitted the exe to the Avast team. And I have made the whole pale moon folder an exception.
Kinda silly to have to do it this way. Anything bad could now live in there.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Pale Moon v27.2.0 reported as virus by Avast

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-03-23, 04:39

I use Avast and did not have this problem updating from PM26.5 to PM27.1.1 and no problems updating to the subsequent releases PM27.1.2 and PM27.2.0, perhaps a new development since I last updated on 2017-03-18 when the latest build was released. :think: (btw, I have updated each time from the update via "About Pale Moon" as well)

I should mention that I'm using Avast version 2015.10.2.2218 however, but then I would think the issue you're having would most likely be due to the virus definition version which in my case is currently 170322-5 (which is of course very fluid considering just in the last 24 hours I've had a total of 144 virus definition updates).
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-03-23, 22:12

Avast always was known for its false positives. (I'm so glad I switched to Linux so I don't have to mess with things like this.)

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2017-03-23, 23:17

I received several warnings from their "moderators" for outlining issues with the product and the inflation and infusion of ad related garbage creeping into the antivirus.
Avast 5 was the last version i used.
it just transformed into a bloated mess and will eventually just explode. :D

the avast forum is saturated with users having issues and google chrome shite being installed without the users consent,
I just gave up with the forum. :evil:
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2017-03-26, 22:47

Had used it for a long time. When it turned to became more malware than had trashed it. Ans so, now it has a even more problems. Вest you do is to delete avast completely, use windows embedded antivirus.

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2017-03-27, 03:14

I should remark that almost all AV that have some cloud feature, will report any new program as virus or suspicious EXE until the program upload a copy for analysis. Even if the program is correctly signed and has a certificate. So this trouble is temporal and should be fixed very fast.

:sick: Like all other comments my advice is that you find another AV tool, PRONTO!

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-03-27, 17:24

As previously mentioned, I haven't had this issue for Pale Moon using Avast, but then if this is the case for some it's easily rectified by excluding Pale Moon (since we all know it's most definitely NOT a virus/malware threat!)....
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-03-28, 08:54

I have four Windows 7 SP1, 64 bit hard drives since I have four computers (2 desktop towers, 2 laptops). They all have the newest free version of Avast installed on them. On all of my four Windows 7 hard drives, Avast is not reporting 32 bit Pale Moon 27.2.1 as a virus. No problems whatsoever.

On the other hand, at the computer shop where I hang out at, Avast is having problems with Pale Moon in Windows 10.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-03-28, 09:30

Interestingly I'm only able to see a reference to a problem with Pale Moon 26.1.1 in the Avast forum: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=183481.msg1295188#msg1295188 (perhaps I'm missing something however).

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-03-28, 09:41

Unfortunately the only way to avoid potential false positives is to upload exact binaries to each and every individual AV author (if they have such a program) to get them whitelisted before releasing the binaries to the public. As you can imagine, that'd be a day's work all in itself, if not more, considering the number of vendors out there.
Also, whitelisting is bad practice -- it should not be needed on a regular basis if the AV engine is accurate in heuristically examining code.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite