Time Out Issue

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
brh_66

Time Out Issue

Unread post by brh_66 » 2012-10-08, 19:13

Hello,

As of this afternoon, I am having trouble trying to connect on Palemoon with the browser not loading/timing out(The connection has timed out-The server at start.palemoon.org is taking too long to respond) Is there a problem with the server or other technical issue preventing PM from working properly?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Time Out Issue

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-10-08, 21:59

There doesn't seem to be a problem with the server hosting the start page, so it may be related to your connection, firewall, security software (did you just upgrade to 15.2 before this started happening?) or similar.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2012-10-08, 23:13

There could be an intermittent glitch somewhere server side, I hit a 500 earlier today - that was on the forum server, refreshing latest posts.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-10-08, 23:17

satrow wrote:There could be an intermittent glitch somewhere server side, I hit a 500 earlier today - that was on the forum server, refreshing latest posts.
Really? I'll keep an eye on it then. Might be a server issue after all then - seems to work fine and fast as usual at the moment. Maybe a one-off.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2012-10-08, 23:55

It would have been somewhere in the region of 10 hours before I posted; I thought it was just a one-off too, as I clicked Refresh within a minute of the 500 and it loaded fast.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2012-10-09, 01:52

I've never had a problem today at all connecting to this forum's site. Fast as usual for me. I'm using the 32-bit version of PM 15.2 and I began using this version before 7am in the central time zone of the USA.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2012-10-09, 02:06

I also came across this problem, so I just waited it out to see an announcement or something.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-10-09, 07:17

Just to keep our reports straight, this was for the Pale Moon start page, not the forum (they are on different servers!)

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2012-10-09, 09:54

Moonchild wrote:Just to keep our reports straight, this was for the Pale Moon start page, not the forum (they are on different servers!)
I don't use the Pale Moon Start Page, so I don't know, but the homepage did not have any error, just when I first tried the forums. The point is that nothing is wrong now.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-10-09, 11:45

The forum regularly has some brief periods of downtime. It's one reason I don't use that WHSP for either the web page or the start page. They are just not keeping up to their promises for availability.

I checked metrics for the start page because of the OP, and all seems to be fine; no sudden drops in visitors or anything, so I'll just chalk this up to some maintenance done. The start page is on donated space, and I'm not "in the loop" on planned maintenance windows for it as a result. Not going to look a gift horse in the mouth, though.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2012-10-09, 13:22

Let me clarify. Both this forum and the Pale Moon page weren't giving me any slowness yesterday morning after updating to PM (v15.2).

Since I don't use the internal updater to update to a newer version of Pale Moon, I always go to the home page and click on the download buttons for my 32-bit versions of Pale Moon after uninstalling the previous older version of Pale Moon. I like to use the PM installer just in case I find something I really don't care for in the new versions so I can revert back to last older version of PM which I do like. I save the last two PM installers in a folder on my Desktop.

Yesterday, after updating to the 15.2 version of Pale Moon, I went back to the PM home page and I didn't experience any slowness with this new version.

My IP is Comcast if Comcast might be a wild card in the mix. I did update between 6am-7am my local time. For some people who had slowness issues, I think it was a server maintenance glitch from where the home page is stored on.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox