Statusbar and linkhover

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
dark_moon

Statusbar and linkhover

Unread post by dark_moon » 2012-10-06, 20:05

I have the statusbar in the urlbar.
So if i move the mouse over a link, the statusbar "addon" display me the link in the urlbar. All ok

But if i move the mouse over a picture, which show me the link and i click then on show picture via rightclick, the hoverlink is at the same position at the urllink.

Here is a picture:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Statusbar and linkhover

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-10-06, 21:21

I noticed there is a slight alignment jump when you mouseover a link and you have the status in the URL bar. This alignment jump should only move the address slightly, not double it up. Possibly it interferes with some of your other add-ons or potentially with your theme.

Can you check if using the standard theme also displays this problem?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2012-10-06, 21:28

Yep, the problem exist on a clean pale moon.

I only change one setting in the pale moon statusbar preferences: show test in adress bar

Here is the screen:

Link to verify this: http://www.emp.de/varg-guten-tag-cd-dvd/art_241417/
Move the mous over the Varg album and then rightclick - show image

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2012-10-06, 21:42

Either I am confused with what you are saying, or I am not reproducing this problem.

Edit: It happens when you select "Show links in address bar." Minor annoyance, but I have reproduced it.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-10-06, 21:58

For me it doesn't get doubled-up text, but as said, there is an alignment jump (with a brief fade). I guess it depends also on whether you have a delay set for showing/hiding the links (both mine are set to "0")
This is something I'll look into when I have time to have a look at the status overlay. I may have to check and see if I need a Firefox-15 base specific fix for it in the status4evar code.

EDIT: I reproduced the doubled-up text by selecting "fixed" for the position of the status in the URL bar. It's definitely the alignment issue that causes this (result of Firefox 15 having had the URL container changed... again). Setting "status alignment" to "Right" instead of "Fixed" only shifts the URL slightly.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2012-10-07, 09:36

With "Show Status in Address Bar" selected (for obvious reasons on netbook) have been seeing brief double text/alignment jump in address bar (as in badly set up stereo viewer) and assumed this was of because of (ongoing) changes to url header box/information preceding actual address. The effect is brief (both Link delays set to 0) and hardly a showstopper - more a cosmetic imperfection that catches the eye. I have not noticed the permanent double text described with mouse over/hover on link - and do not get effect using dark_moon's link - but I will now pay more attention and see if I can reproduce the effect elsewhere.

No themes, clean install of Pale Moon 15.0, and effect has remained constant through both 15.1 and 15.1.1 updates :)
Last edited by Blacklab on 2012-10-07, 22:34, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-10-07, 11:14

Blacklab: It's the effect I see - the only "permanent" ghosting is when the position is set to "Fixed" for me.
I'll list it as a known issue once I update the website for the publish of 15.2 - it's cosmetic in any case, but will be on my "to-do" list for later versions. It's caused by changes in alignment of the address bar because of Firefox's "default icon" displays having slightly different metrics - off by 2 pixels, or something.

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2012-10-07, 18:47

Wondered if this problem might have been reported by users of Status 4 Evar Add-on (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... us-4-evar/) for Firefox as well.... and on the developer's (Bluefang) truly enormous S4E MozillaZine thread: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... start=1530 there is short discussion starting with this comment in dvnito's post on 05 Oct 12 about half way down last page:
(EXTRACT ONLY) dvnito wrote:When I hover cursor over a URL on a page, the URL in the address bar jumps to the left by ~5 px and then jumps back when I move cursor away from the page URL.
Recommend reading last 5 posts but most obviously relevant is Gingerbread Man's post....
(EXTRACT ONLY) Gingerbread Man wrote:The following is what works for me. The proper value (assume he means pixel padding number) is different for each user.
(assume "different for each user" refers to different themes as dvnito's problem was S4E conflicting with Add-on to make Firefox look like Chrome! :crazy: )

Code: Select all

.urlbar-over-link-layer { padding-left: 7px !important }
Discussion also alludes to resetting/adjusting S4E settings in about:config and if you type "status4" into Pale Moon's about:config search bar you will bring up list of 37 "status4evar" settings. Trying CSS script with various pixel values but no joy yet..... of course this may all be a wild goose chase but worth a look? :)

EDIT: Reading further back down MozillaZine S4E thread I note Bluefang's 08 July 12 post towards bottom of Page 100:
Bluefang wrote:Version 2012.07.08.17 (which is latest update/current version of S4E)
Summary of changes from beta releases:
* Updated translations for: de, hu, tr
* Fix alignment issues with the new identity box in Firefox 14+.
* Fix content pop-up fade in/out effects when displaying links.
As S4E is built into Pale Moon it may just be that this "alignment issue" fix will be included in PM idc?