Firefox UI

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Firefox UI

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2012-10-04, 21:53

Is it possible to, or is it ever planned, to be able to add Firefox's current UI to Pale Moon? While I can understand from a design perspective how the current UI looks, it just seems to be that Firefox's seems to be that bit more refined in comparison. Even if it were recoloured, like Pale Moon's current UI, it would still be good to have. Mainly, with Firefox's UI, I notice that icons and such use the high contrast version that originally was for dark backgrounds, which, in my opinion, looks better than the dark icons.

Just my two cents of course, feel free to ignore if you feel the current UI is sufficient.

dark_moon

Re: Firefox UI

Unread post by dark_moon » 2012-10-05, 08:25

Which UI you mean? The australis from the new firefox version or the metro UI for Win8?

You can simple change the design for palemoon with styles, scripts, ..

But if you need the Win8 UI, you better change to firefox

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-10-05, 09:32

If you're talking about the "borderless inversed" navigation images on glass, you can set that up with UserChrome.css if you really want to. It is not part of Pale Moon's goals to use those controls or include the Firefox UI, as the current UI is considered the desired layout for Pale Moon.

Blacklab seems to be our resident UserChrome guru, so can probably help you get the right CSS commands from them. ;)
Reference hint for whomever wants to mess with this and create the proper userChrome.css:

Code: Select all

:-moz-any(#toolbar-menubar, #nav-bar[tabsontop=false]) :-moz-any(#back-button, #forward-button, #reload-button, #stop-button, #home-button, #print-button, #downloads-button, #history-button, #bookmarks-button, #bookmarks-menu-button, #new-tab-button, #new-window-button, #cut-button, #copy-button, #paste-button, #fullscreen-button, #zoom-out-button, #zoom-in-button, #sync-button, #feed-button, #alltabs-button, #tabview-button):not(:-moz-any(#alltabs-button,#tabview-button,#sync-button[status])) > .toolbarbutton-icon:not(:-moz-lwtheme),
  #TabsToolbar[tabsontop=true] :-moz-any(#back-button, #forward-button, #reload-button, #stop-button, #home-button, #print-button, #downloads-button, #history-button, #bookmarks-button, #bookmarks-menu-button, #new-tab-button, #new-window-button, #cut-button, #copy-button, #paste-button, #fullscreen-button, #zoom-out-button, #zoom-in-button, #sync-button, #feed-button, #alltabs-button, #tabview-button):not(:-moz-any(#alltabs-button,#tabview-button,#new-tab-button,#sync-button[status])) > .toolbarbutton-icon:not(:-moz-lwtheme),
  #nav-bar + #customToolbars + #PersonalToolbar[collapsed=true] + #TabsToolbar[tabsontop=false]:last-child :-moz-any(#back-button, #forward-button, #reload-button, #stop-button, #home-button, #print-button, #downloads-button, #history-button, #bookmarks-button, #bookmarks-menu-button, #new-tab-button, #new-window-button, #cut-button, #copy-button, #paste-button, #fullscreen-button, #zoom-out-button, #zoom-in-button, #sync-button, #feed-button, #alltabs-button, #tabview-button):not(:-moz-any(#alltabs-button,#tabview-button,#new-tab-button,#sync-button[status])) > .toolbarbutton-icon:not(:-moz-lwtheme) {
    list-style-image: url("chrome://browser/skin/Toolbar-inverted.png") !important;
  } 
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

stravinsky

Unread post by stravinsky » 2012-10-05, 11:28

@MC :

the "FF metro UI" is available only in the Metro version of Win8, right ? in the desktop version of win8, the UI is the usual ?

The "australis" UI will become standard in teh future for all version of FF ? What is the expected release version ?

stravinsky

Unread post by stravinsky » 2012-10-05, 11:41

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2012-10-05, 18:54

I was thinking more the current stable Firefox design, as per Firefox 15, much like how Moonchild described.

Thanks anyway!

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2012-10-05, 19:34

stravinsky wrote:@ Lootyhoof :

you can use this :

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... australis/
When Firefox goes to Austalis, that's when I will permanently revert back to the last version of Firefox that doesn't look like Australis. Since the Australis UI reminds me of the look of Google Chrome and not Firefox, I hope Pale Moon doesn't go down the same Australis path. When it comes to Google Chrome, the head honchos at Mozilla are in a "monkey see, monkey do" copy mode.

To wit: With Austalis, (at least for me), Mozilla Firefox will look just like Google Chrome and when it does, the head honchos at Mozilla should just give up, throw the towel in the ring and give Firefox a new name and I think appropriately so (in my opinion) to.....Google Firefox.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-10-05, 21:12

I have no intention of using Australis. Ever. I'd sooner create a whole new theme from scratch if that's what it takes to keep the current UI.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

stravinsky

Unread post by stravinsky » 2012-10-06, 05:10

i am using the Australis theme for a few days now on the nightly FF.
Its OK-ish. But readability of the tab titles is quite poor, if you have Aero glass enabled.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2012-10-06, 13:20

I like the Classic look of the Firefox tabs which are now in the present and past versions of Firefox, not the rounded tabs look of Google Chrome. The rounded tabs look makes me think a six year kid did this because he can't draw a straight crisp line. This constant (and rabid) obsessiveness with the look of Google Chrome by the Firefox developers and trying to copy it, is reaching a point which is slowly turning me off to Firefox.

Ever since version 12 of Firefox, the more the Firefox developers keep removing things I like by their choices and also adding more "new fluff" (which they make by default), the more I've had to go into "about:config" to reverse their changes. Non technical people like me don't like going in there "blind" to change things. It makes us feel uncomfortable with the fear we will make the wrong change and won't be able to reverse the change since we're not power users.

This is why I have to first make a public post on Mozillazine to ask for someone's help from the Firefox power users there, BEFORE I update to the latest Firefox version, so I don't make a major screw up in "about:config" when trying to reverse the changes the Firefox developers have made and are making every six weeks. This is why I...DREAD...next Tuesday, October 9th, when Firefox 16 makes it's public release.

Sooner or later, some changes will be made to Firefox where these default changes won't be able to be reversed in "about:config" and when that happens, it will force me to revert back to the last version of Firefox I liked. I've already done this with another browser, the SeaMonkey browser since I still use the old outdated 2.0.14 version because of the "old" and easy to work with Data Manager I like. I keep four browsers on both of my computers. The others are IE8 since I'm running Windows 7 on both of my HP desktop computers and IE automatically comes with Windows (I dislike IE9), Firefox (backup browser) and Pale Moon (default browser).

In my opinion, the only time the Firefox browser is now safe for us non technical users, is when the Firefox developers "are not working on it".
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Rohugh

Unread post by Rohugh » 2012-10-06, 13:43

Night Wing wrote:In my opinion, the only time the Firefox browser is now safe for us non technical users, is when the Firefox developers "are not working on it".
Good one. :D :D :D

By far and away the majority of Fx users are "non technical" so it would be best to go back to the old release schedule rather than trying to keep up with G Chrome in looks and version numbers.

sIDcORK

Unread post by sIDcORK » 2012-10-07, 15:12

Moonchild wrote:I have no intention of using Australis. Ever. I'd sooner create a whole new theme from scratch if that's what it takes to keep the current UI.
This has made me very happy Moonchild. Thank you.

stravinsky

Unread post by stravinsky » 2012-10-07, 16:04

@ MC :

how much effort does it take to implement a "PaleMoon UI" as a personalization/theme ?