Flash player memory use

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
fk0fk0

Flash player memory use

Unread post by fk0fk0 » 2012-09-26, 19:08

I came here for the first time, because i had palemon and the plugin container eat 2,1gb of ram, while browsing a thread on an imageboard containing a dozen of video embedded from youtube; after reach that size, instead of the embed appeared a light green exclamation error, that i suppose is the flash player.
Didn't happen before the update.
Hope it help.

fk0fk0

Re: Versions 15.1 and 15.1.1

Unread post by fk0fk0 » 2012-09-27, 01:41

edit: i can't see my previous message; briefly:
Visiting an imageboard, on a single page thread containing a dozen of youtube embed video, the memory of usage Palemoon and the plugin container increase, and after 2-3 minutes around 2,1gb of ram usage, the embeds disappear and show an light grey error alert (i suppose it's the flash player), then the ram usage drop down.
The same page with the same embeds minus one didn't cause problems before the latest update, but it's better if i check it again....

------------------------------------------------

About my previous message, the one with the thread containing embed videos:
I tried the current version of Firefox and things are even worse, it take much less time to get the errors and the memory usage is still very high; after the embed errors the memory usage drop down, so it act worse but similar.
Also, my system is windows xp 32bit with 3.1gb of visible ram due to 32bit limitations and same shared video memory for igp.

lyceus

Re: Flash player memory use

Unread post by lyceus » 2012-09-27, 04:10

I suggest that upgrade to the last version of flash player, also the plug-in Flashblock -> https://addons.mozilla.org/es/firefox/addon/flashblock/.

Flashblock stop all flash to load and start to play automatically, until you press a play button placed in replacement of them; this reduces the memory used in pages like you tube and you save the hassle to see flash enabled banners.

tribaljet
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by tribaljet » 2012-09-27, 12:18

lobocursor wrote:I suggest that upgrade to the last version of flash player, also the plug-in Flashblock -> https://addons.mozilla.org/es/firefox/addon/flashblock/.

Flashblock stop all flash to load and start to play automatically, until you press a play button placed in replacement of them; this reduces the memory used in pages like you tube and you save the hassle to see flash enabled banners.
I second this. Flashbock allows for Flash content to be played on demand rather than automatically, which can be a burden for systems with lower specs and/or slower connections.
Portuguese translator of Pale Moon

fk0fk0

Unread post by fk0fk0 » 2012-09-29, 21:08

Something is not working properly, it seem that the flash player download the videos in background to create the small pictures index on the navigation slider and cache them totally in ram.
I tried to delete the various flash settings in %userprofile%, i can confirm that same settings has been cleared but this strange behaviour continue;
i suppose that flash player get something elsewhere and act like this.
I also wonder why the memory usage is big, since it's impossible that all videos together use even half.
I used flashblock a lot in past, until replaced by noscript, however flashblock can allow the embeds one by one.
Maybe i'll try a previous flash version since i keep stored all offline flash installers, i' m more interested in pointing the issue than to find a workaround.

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2012-09-29, 23:45

fk0fk0 wrote:Maybe i'll try a previous flash version since i keep stored all offline flash installers, i' m more interested in pointing the issue than to find a workaround.
Sadly, the only way to "fix" this is to point the trouble to Adobe labs, but they seems that fix one feature and bug two in the process.

In the past Flash had been a nuisance in the 11.1 - 11.2 versions since they added sandboxing and the "nice feature" to not easy downgrade quoting security concerns. So you only can try to made a trial an error for find the correct version that works better with you.

Please try http://www.filehippo.com they store old versions of the flash player, so the trial an error path may be less bothersome.

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2012-09-30, 08:37

You can try the most recent version of Flash without the sandboxing feature (Released 9/18/2012) Flash Player 10.3.183.25 (18.23 MB) it should be up to date with security patches, from the Adobe page here.

fk0fk0

Unread post by fk0fk0 » 2012-10-03, 07:18

Thanks, i'll try that when i have the time.
Also, in the imgboard where i experienced the huge memory trouble, they changed the code to prevent the embeds from starting, guess i wasn't the only one; to confirm the behaviour i'll try to play a bunch of videos at the same time before and after downgrading.