How to reduce tab height ?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
stravinsky

How to reduce tab height ?

Unread post by stravinsky » 2012-09-26, 14:32

How can i reduce the tab height ?

Height : that dimension of a tab that is perpendicular to the horizonatal window frame.

My basic idea is to gain some vertical screen space. For that i think
1.reducing tab height
2. reducing height of address bar

i already use "small icons" .

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Re: How to reduce tab height ?

Unread post by billmcct » 2012-09-26, 14:57

about:config "browser.tabs.tabMinHeight"
I am not sure but I think the address bar would have to be changed in userChrome.css .
I'm sure someone else will know.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

stravinsky

Unread post by stravinsky » 2012-09-26, 16:31

no such option in about:config :)

steviem1

Unread post by steviem1 » 2012-09-26, 17:11

If you don't use any Tab enhancement add-ons such as ''Tab Utilities'' or ''Tab Mix Plus'' you probably need to create the preference yourself in about:config: browser.tabs.tabMinHeight. Parameters: user set, integer, value. Experiment with different values, circa 30, to judge the effect.

Edit: It seems this preference can only be changed in userChrome.css, whereas you can change the Tab Width in about:config. Have a look at this MozillaZine topic: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 7&t=676675

Edit 2: I use ''Tab Mix Plus'' and that places the tab width and tab height options into about:config which don't appear by default (the same for ''Tab Utilities'') This means the tab width can be altered but it still doesn't allow tab height changes for some reason.

@ Stravinsky: See the later posts here for further info. on using and editing userChrome.css. for your particular issue.

Sorry for the confusion and misleading information.
Last edited by steviem1 on 2012-09-27, 07:58, edited 3 times in total.

stravinsky

Unread post by stravinsky » 2012-09-26, 18:41

more details please on creation of this parameter.

And what are the default values?

aorbiter

Unread post by aorbiter » 2012-09-26, 19:26

I use tab mix plus, not disabled, no option to change height. I created a new "integer" preference and copied and pasted the preference named above. I then set the integer value at 24 and stepped down to 18, 12 and 2. In all instances, I closed and restarted the program. There was no change in the height of the tab. I suspect (incorrectly?) the font size determines the height.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-09-26, 21:15

steviem1 wrote:Edit: It seems this preference can only be changed in userChrome.css, whereas you can change the Tab Width in about:config.
You can't change the tab width in about:config. That preference was removed in 4.0

The only way to change tab width and height is in userChrome.css -- I'm sure using Google will give you relevant results as to which tweaks you need to perform in the css file to get the desired result.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

steviem1

Unread post by steviem1 » 2012-09-26, 21:47

Moonchild wrote:You can't change the tab width in about:config. That preference was removed in 4.0
Yes, the confusion arose because I use ''Tab Mix Plus'' and that places the tab width preference in about:config and that allows you to change it from there. It also places the tab height preference, but unfortunately changing those values has no effect?

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2012-09-26, 22:03

As ever with searching for a CSS script it's like ET and LGM "probably out there somewhere" but difficult to find. Search engines, crawlers and cached pages all seem to fall over at this level of detail, and often the scripts found are out-of-date and no longer work with latest Pale Moon/Firefox versions.

To make this more difficult I remember Moonchild commenting (rough precis only) "Tabs are complex" in this old topic: http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1257 so writing a new CSS script from scratch would probably not be a simple task. A careful look through recent Stylish Scripts and MozillaZine topics would seem the best way ahead.

This mozillaZine topic is relevant and quite recent: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=2462879 and the third link in group of four looks spot-on BUT sadly it's a bit older than main post. The links and CSS script in this User Style: "Tabs Bar Minimal Size" http://userstyles.org/styles/9043/tabs-bar-minimal-size are also probably worth a look? :)

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2012-09-27, 00:07

stravinsky wrote:no such option in about:config :)
I am sorry for the incorrect info. I do have the option in about:config although "steviem1" is correct. It is because I have Tab Utilities installed. In the Tab Utilities options there is the options to change the width and height of the tabs however I have not tested these, also "aorbiter" could be correct about the font size.

Just tested this. The height option does not work however the width option does work in the Tab Utilities options dialog

Bill
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

Rohugh

Unread post by Rohugh » 2012-09-27, 08:47

Tab height is one of the many things that can be changed with the Stratiform addon.

steviem1

Unread post by steviem1 » 2012-09-27, 09:29

Not familiar with ''Stratiform'' but followed your link and it looks comprehensive with excellent reviews, that may the best way forward with opportunities for experimentation.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2012-09-28, 00:26

.tabbrowser-tab .tab-stack{height:YOUR VALUEpx}

stravinsky

Unread post by stravinsky » 2012-09-28, 07:49

Stratiform worked guys :) It added a parameter in about:config which controlled the tab height. Thank you all for the quick responses :thumbup: