Changing identity box color

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
dark_moon

Changing identity box color

Unread post by dark_moon » 2012-09-22, 09:24

Btw how can i change the blue color for https sites?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Site security status

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-09-22, 09:49

You can use UserChrome.css for that, by adding:

Code: Select all

#urlbar[pageproxystate="valid"] > #identity-box.verifiedDomain {
  color: YOUR_COLOR_HERE !important; 
  }
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2012-09-22, 11:24

Thanks, Moonchild

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2012-09-24, 12:06

@ Moonchild & dark_moon: Just tried the above CSS script which changes text colour of https site name - very neat! Thanks.

However I had obviously got the wrong end of the stick.... I was expecting Moonchild's CSS script above to change the background pale blue colour at head of url bar behind the text whose colour the script actually changes.

Don't suppose there is a small CSS script that will allow that background colour to be changed as well? Or better still a single script for both https "header" background and text colour? Apologies for being a tweaker.... to misquote Douglas Adams in HHGTTG.... tweaking CSS is "mostly harmless!" :)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-09-24, 12:43

exchange "color" with "background-color" in the above code and you are set.

EDIT: or include both:

color: YOUR_COLOR_HERE !important;
      background-color: YOUR_BG_HERE !important;
      }
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2012-09-24, 12:47

VMT Moonchild! 8-) Suppose I could/should have worked that one out for myself! Engage brain? Doh! :think:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-09-24, 14:04

If you're using a dark theme, it should actually have included something like this to make it readable.

ninaholic

Unread post by ninaholic » 2012-09-26, 04:11

Moonchild wrote:If you're using a dark theme, it should actually have included something like this to make it readable.
Thanks. I managed to make PM15.1.1 behave closer to PM12.3 in "High Contrast Black" again by using this:

color: rgb(38,76,129) !important;
      background-color: rgb(224,234,247) !important;
      font-size: 11px !important;
      }
Took me forever to find where to put the "UserChrome.css" file though (my first time) :lol: apparently clicking on all these folders in the "Windows Explorer maze" finally got me to the right place:

C:\Users\{{user name}}\AppData\Roaming\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon\Profiles\{{random}}.default\chrome\

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-09-26, 05:31

ninaholic wrote:Took me forever to find where to put the "UserChrome.css" file though (my first time)
Next time, you should go to Help -> troubleshooting information, then click "Show folder" under profile. The file goes in the subfolder "Chrome" in the folder that shows up. Saves you a lot of navigating through the maze manually ;)

steviem1

Re: Changing identity box color

Unread post by steviem1 » 2012-09-26, 05:58

For those who would like to make changes using css code there is also a very useful extension called ''ChromEdit Plus'' - designed for the more non - techie types among us: http://webdesigns.ms11.net/chromeditp.html

johnb

Unread post by johnb » 2012-09-26, 10:43

Thanks to all for the info. Question- what about using stylish?

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2012-09-26, 12:44

Writing your CSS scripts using "Write New Style" option in Stylish Add-on is fine. If you don't otherwise need/use the Stylish Add-on or it's just for one or two CSS scripts that you are going to setup and then leave alone it's probably easier/simpler to write directly into Pale Moon's Profile "chrome" folder as Moonchild suggested:
[b][color=#0000FF]Moonchild[/color][/b] wrote:Next time, you should go to Help -> Troubleshooting information, then click "Show Folder" under profile. The file goes in the subfolder "chrome" in the folder that shows up. Saves you a lot of navigating through the maze manually ;)
(NOTE: To create the file to write your CSS scripts into.... Open "chrome" subfolder>Right Click>New>Text Document>Rename new file: "userChrome.css")

However as Steviem1 suggested if you are going to play/tweak CSS scripts on a more regular basis then ChromEdit Plus 2.9.10 Add-on really makes fine tuning scripts very much quicker and easier. Install CEP Add-on and then add "ChromEdit" Toolbar button (also 5 other new CEP toolbar buttons if you want them) which will be in normal PM "Customize Toolbar" window. If you don't want/like toolbar button(s) then CEP options are also added to normal PM "Tools" dropdown menu. Click "Open ChromEdit" and new window opens straight into "userChrome.css" file.... nice! BUT the huge advantage is that you now have both a "Save" and especially a "Restart" button at bottom of CEP window so you can alter CSS script, Save, and then Restart PM all from one window! 8-)

(NOTE: If you open your "userChrome.css" file in the normal way (perhaps via PM>Help>Troubleshooting>Show Folder, etc) you will find CEP compresses the "userChrome.css" file slightly - all unnecessary gaps and blank lines will have been removed automatically.)

PS. @ ninaholic: To avoid wading through "all these folders in the 'Windows Explorer' maze" I have used tiny 334KB "Search Everything" engine for a long time - brilliant for finding anything almost instantly, lost files or bits left behind after uninstalling even using Revo Uninstaller. See: http://voidtools.com/ or http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Fil ... hing.shtml I am sure there are other similar search programs available. :)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-09-26, 13:49

For the people wanting to use custom styles for dark/high-contrast use, you will be pleased to know that I'm redesigning the identity panel in Pale Moon 15.2 which will include a solid background as default if no lightweight theme is used, which should fix theme issues if "undefined" where you'd end up with a dark text on black background.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2012-10-07, 17:19

A little bit offtopic:

I make a simple script, which show you the SSL security. Look at the pics:

This is the css code:
#urlbar[level="high"] > #identity-box:after{content:"Secure SSL";color:green}
#urlbar[level="broken"] > #identity-box:after{content:"Broken SSL"!important;color:red}