[Solved] Palemoon 15 64-bit breaks Windows Clipboard

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
trparky

[Solved] Palemoon 15 64-bit breaks Windows Clipboard

Unread post by trparky » 2012-09-23, 00:49

So here's the details.

I reboot the computer and open a program, in this case, a text editor program called EditPad Pro 7. I open another app, in this case, Google Chrome (yeah, I know... be quiet). I select some text on a web page in Google Chrome and go to EditPad Pro 7 and paste it in. Cool, it works. I can copy and paste text!

I then decide to open Palemoon 15 64-bit. I do the same thing I did in Google Chrome, that is, copy some text from a web page and then I go to the EditPad Pro 7 window and try to paste the text I copied in Palemoon. Nope, nothing, nothing pasted. At this point, I can't copy and paste worth a damn in Windows, a complete system reboot is the only thing that can resolve the issue. Even closing Palemoon doesn't solve the issue. So I reboot and install Firefox and after launching Firefox for the first time, I exit out and copy my Palemoon profile into the place where the Firefox profile is stored. I open Firefox and copy some text, open EditPad Pro 7 and paste. Copy and paste works! Open Palemoon 15 64-bit, try to do the same thing and yep, once again all Windows clipboard functionality is completely broken.

What is going on here? I've had to switch back to Firefox just so I can browse the web and have Windows clipboard functionality while I browse the Internet.

trparky

Re: Palemoon 15 64-bit breaks Windows Clipboard

Unread post by trparky » 2012-09-23, 00:55

I even created a new Palemoon profile thinking that something is broken in my profile. I created one and then launched Palemoon while instructing it to open that new profile. Instant Windows Clipboard breakage!

Now excuse me while I go reboot for the fifth time this hour while troubleshooting this issue.

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2012-09-23, 01:12

The problem is that the clipboard manager does not cooperate.
Hmm, I use Ditto. I will try to recreate this problem.

Edit: Ha! I got it wrong, the program cannot take the copy/paste after PM.
Recommending a clipboard manager that can be easier in that matter.

Edit 2: Back-on track, I will have to get the program or try with a simple notepad?
I copy stuff from Palemoon and paste it on other testing browsers fine.

trparky

Unread post by trparky » 2012-09-23, 01:34

That's the thing... pasting text into Notepad (plain old Notepad) works fine even after launching Palemoon. Pasting into EditPad Pro 7, forget about it. I even tried launching a program that I myself wrote in Microsoft VB.NET which has no special Windows clipboard handling functionality, just plain textboxes for user input and even that program will not accept a paste after Palemoon is launched.

trparky

Unread post by trparky » 2012-09-23, 02:16

I feel very very stupid right now. I had one of those "WTF!" moments.

Turns out there is some part of my antivirus software that was denying access to the Windows clipboard as part of some privacy setting. ARG!!!! *bangs head on desk*

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2012-09-23, 02:21

trparky wrote:Turns out there is some part of my antivirus software that was denying access to the Windows clipboard as part of some privacy setting. ARG!!!! *bangs head on desk*
That was my first guess, but I wanted to try this myself.
Last edited by megaman on 2012-09-23, 02:22, edited 1 time in total.

trparky

Unread post by trparky » 2012-09-23, 02:22

My guess is that because certain programs were "denied" by the antivirus software, the program detected me copying text out of a protected program into a denied program.