Question about clean install of V27.0.3

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
context
Fanatic
Fanatic

Question about clean install of V27.0.3

Unread post by context » 2017-01-19, 04:16

I've installed a copy of Pale Moon (32-bit) on a brand new Win7 64-bit PC.

Everything went as expected and PM works fine. But I was surprised to see that five plugins (one of which is disabled) were apparently part of the install.

I'll appreciate if someone can explain their purpose (I've only seen Silverlight, previously) and whether any of them can be removed. I occasionally assist others in implementing PM and I know this question will come up.

Thanks in advance for help.
New Moon Plugins.PNG

1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Question about clean install of V27.0.3

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2017-01-19, 05:44

I have 27.0.1 portable installed on a USB stick, as well as 26.5.0 on my desktop. Both have the Intel Identity Protection duo (but an earlier version), Adobe Acrobat, and Photo Gallery (whatever that is---no indication of Windows Live), but no Silverlight.

Someone from Pale Moon will have to answer why these come preinstalled.

Harry

mseliger
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by mseliger » 2017-01-19, 08:02

These plugins are installed on your windows system.
1. Open

Code: Select all

about:config
2. Add a new boolean key

plugin.explose_full_path
set value to

true
3. Restart Pale Moon
4. Open

about:plugins
There you can find all plugins and you can see where they are stored if you have added the

plugin.explose_full_path
key.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Greetings
Maria
---
Ich bin ein Westfale, und zwar ein Stockwestfale, nämlich ein Münsterländer – Gott sei Dank! füge ich hinzu ...
Annette von Droste zu Hülshoff, Bei uns zu Lande auf dem Lande

context
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by context » 2017-01-19, 20:28

These plugins are installed on your windows system.
Thanks for your response.
I understand what your saying about how to view them (and others). In fact, I've located a utility* that can do that easily: http://blog.nirsoft.net/2016/02/29/new-utility-that-displays-the-details-of-all-web-browser-addonsplugins-installed-in-your-system/

But can anyone explain WHY these are associated with Pale Moon? Are they generic so that they automatically install for any browser? (My install was on a fresh PC, with very little software installed before Pale Moon.)

* BTW, Nir Sofer offers some amazingly useful utilities on his site. I've used several of them for years. He seems to specialize in getting at the details.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2017-01-19, 20:38

Plugins are in nearly all cases for all installed browsers automatically installed, so yes they are generic.
So you must have installed that stuff. Pale Moon only use the installed plugins from your system.

context
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by context » 2017-01-20, 00:21

So you must have installed that stuff.
Not knowingly. It's an Acer PC, so I can only suppose that they were bundled with the various factory utilities. But I was never prompted with an option to load or not. Time permitting, I'll pose a question to Acer support. For now, I'll leave them be. PM is working fine and fast.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2017-01-20, 09:42

Thats the problem with the bundled PCs. You can safe disable that plugins for Pale Moon. Not necessary.