Temporary browser lockups

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
VictoriaInPhx

Temporary browser lockups

Unread post by VictoriaInPhx » 2012-09-17, 16:11

My problem is slightly different. Before the ver. 15 upgrade Pale Moon ran like a champ for me. I use it to play Kingdoms of Camelot over on Kabam.com and never had an issue.

When ver. 15 came out I started to experience frequent browser lockups, all of which required a termination in the Windows Task Manager. After a little while, those stopped so I went ahead and upgraded to 15.1 and right off the bat they've started again.

I am running a Windows 64-bit machine, Windows 7 Ultimate, Intel i7 processor and 16 gigs of RAM. I do run scriptish but that is the only add-on. My anti-virus/firewall is !avast Internet Security and it's not giving me any flags.

When I look in the Task Manager after a lockup I do see a memory usage over 500k of RAM. I've never seen one higher than 600k, though.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Temporary browser lockups

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-09-18, 16:51

VictoriaInPhx wrote: After a little while, those stopped so I went ahead and upgraded to 15.1 and right off the bat they've started again.
This is very typical for security software needing time to "catch up" on a new release, and causing problems until the security software vendor has updated their definition files to give pale Moon a "trusted" status (cloud-based security is a bane for small software developers). if you say that v15 had issues but they went away on their own after a while, and updating to the new version instantly brought it back, you should check your Avast settings and exclude Pale Moon from the "file system shield" and "networking shield" and other shields it has; that will most likely solve your lockups.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite