PDF.js alternative

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Sun-Glasses

PDF.js alternative

Unread post by Sun-Glasses » 2016-11-23, 16:30

Hello to all,

I noticed that Pale Moon 27.0 lacks the PDF.js component as was announced in the release notes. Now, I did use this component on a daily basis and contrary to Moonchild's claim that it "didn't render even half of the PDF files correctly" I did never have any problem with it whatsoever. Now, do you know any alternative to it which can be used as an in-browser view mode for PDFs? Please note that I am a Mac user, so it would be great if the programs you mention would be Mac-compatible as well. Thanks to everybody responding here.

JustOff

Re: PDF.js alternative

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-11-23, 17:05

While I personally think that any in-browser PDF Viewer is bad solution, you can always use Google Docs and there are two helper addons for this task: Google Viewer and Google Docs Viewer, the both work well with Pale Moon 27.

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2016-11-24, 03:27

Sun-Glasses wrote:Hello to all,

I noticed that Pale Moon 27.0 lacks the PDF.js component as was announced in the release notes. Now, I did use this component on a daily basis and contrary to Moonchild's claim that it "didn't render even half of the PDF files correctly" I did never have any problem with it whatsoever. Now, do you know any alternative to it which can be used as an in-browser view mode for PDFs? Please note that I am a Mac user, so it would be great if the programs you mention would be Mac-compatible as well. Thanks to everybody responding here.
PDF.js was more a "point of proof" than a real product. Since it may render all your PDFs it may lack of controls for PDF issued by banks, government and other legal situations. I was about to suggest Sumatra PDF but since is only Windows/Linux. Better try this page that try to fill question better that I can do:

Alternatives to Sumatra PDF for Mac with any license
http://alternativeto.net/software/sumatra-pdf/?platform=mac

HarmonicResonance

Unread post by HarmonicResonance » 2016-12-03, 14:07

A quick note - neither of the Google viewers allow you to display PDFs in the browser on Macs. They both prompt you to download the PDF.

HaleSun
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by HaleSun » 2016-12-04, 01:39

HarmonicResonance wrote:A quick note - neither of the Google viewers allow you to display PDFs in the browser on Macs. They both prompt you to download the PDF.
User kosamja recommended an addon in another thread which appears to work for Macs: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=13998#p99829

stepaniuk

Unread post by stepaniuk » 2017-05-15, 15:12