Search box problem after Pale Moon 15 update

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Beachcomber

Search box problem after Pale Moon 15 update

Unread post by Beachcomber » 2012-08-28, 22:25

I love Pale Moon but I have to admit that I joined this forum because I have a problem with the upgrade to version 15. When I upgraded my search box stopped working. I couldn't type anything into it. The cursor was there, it was blinking but it wouldn't move. I had the identical problem with the 32 bit and 64 bit versions on Windows 7 and on a separate Windows XP computer.

i tried opening in safe mode, reinstalling and finally, in desperation I tried downgrading to version 12. This worked. I downgraded to version 12 on the other computer and that worked as well so my search box is now working but I am stuck on version 12. I had exactly the same problem with Firefox on both machines and solved that by downgrading as well.

Am I going to have to stay there until the next upgrade and hope that one is OK or is there some kind person here who can tell me what I need to do in order to have my search box work with Version 15.

By the way, I had to open Pale Moon in safe mode in order to be able to see the Captcha words when registering.

Beachcomber

Re: Search box problem after Pale Moon 15 update

Unread post by Beachcomber » 2012-08-30, 08:18

I have just updated my laptop and have exactly the same problem. Went back to version 12 and all is fine.

I have now updated three computers all running different operating systems and all experiencing the same problem of not being able to type into the Google search bar whilst reverting to the old version solves the problem.

Beachcomber

Unread post by Beachcomber » 2012-08-30, 08:26

OK, I have found the answer on a Mozilla forum.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-08-30, 08:32

Care to share the solution? Sorry that I didn't get around to looking at this yet.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Beachcomber

Unread post by Beachcomber » 2012-08-30, 10:26

It was partly my fault. I am in the habit of clicking inside the search box and expecting the current entry (ie Google UK) to disappear then I type my search request. However, this doesn't now happen and you just have to start typing but I find this most disconcerting. It can be set back to 'normal' by downloading the 'Stylish' add-on and typing the following into the style box:

@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);
*:-moz-placeholder:focus {
color: transparent !important;
}
*[autofocus]:-moz-placeholder:focus {
color: graytext !important;
}

The search box (and other text boxes) then return to normal. This applies to Pale Moon, Firefox and Thunderbird.