[SOLVED] Update to Version 15 Issues

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
tander2491

[SOLVED] Update to Version 15 Issues

Unread post by tander2491 » 2012-08-28, 12:48

I just updated to version 15 this morning. After doing so, the close, expand, and minimize buttons don't exist - they're just a black space. Also the text for the bookmarks, tabs, and even some webpages isn't clear like it was with the previous release. How can I go about fixing this?
Last edited by tander2491 on 2012-08-29, 01:30, edited 1 time in total.

steviem1

Re: Update to Version 15 Issues

Unread post by steviem1 » 2012-08-28, 13:09

Try running it in Safe Mode - do they appear then? if so it's not the browser and you probably have one or two add-ons misbehaving... have a look at those first, using a process of elimination.

tander2491

Unread post by tander2491 » 2012-08-28, 13:24

They do appear again when the browser is started in Safe Mode. However afterwards I disabled all my addons and set the theme back to default and I still see issues running the browser in normal mode.

steviem1

Unread post by steviem1 » 2012-08-28, 13:57

Well it might be worth clearing your cache to start with.... it's just possible that during the update something has been corrupted in your profile but you could also try reinstalling PM 15, see if that helps.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-08-28, 14:29

Black window controls are usually caused by a problem with your graphics drivers or hardware acceleration. Some things in that respect have changed in Pale Moon 15.0 so you may have a compatibility issue now with what worked previously.
Please check if your video drivers are up-to-date and if you aren't using any proprietary video acceleration plugins in the browser.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

tander2491

Unread post by tander2491 » 2012-08-28, 14:44

Moonchild wrote:Black window controls are usually caused by a problem with your graphics drivers or hardware acceleration. Some things in that respect have changed in Pale Moon 15.0 so you may have a compatibility issue now with what worked previously.
Please check if your video drivers are up-to-date and if you aren't using any proprietary video acceleration plugins in the browser.
Nope. Only add-ons I run are Adblock, Thumbnail Zoom, Fire Gestures, and StumbleUpon. Currently running nVidia Beta driver 304.79. As I said, the window controls appear fine in safe mode.

I just disabled hardware acceleration and they re-appeared.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2012-08-28, 14:52

Like Moonchild say i think too, what the problem is the graphic driver.
Use the latest stable and not beta. Beta versions are dont for normal workstations.

I have no problems with the latest stable (301.42)

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2012-08-28, 15:01

I also have the nVidia 301.42 driver and no problems.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-08-28, 15:25

Nope. Only add-ons I run are Adblock, Thumbnail Zoom, Fire Gestures, and StumbleUpon.
I said plugins, not add-ons ;)
Open the add-on manager, and check the plugins tab. If you use NVidia, chances are good you have some proprietary 3D NV plugins there; try to disable those (and then close and restart the browser).

Safe Mode would work because Safe Mode also disables all hardware acceleration, which is obviously your issue.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2012-08-28, 17:27

Once again, I have said this before.
You have to disable FXAA on Pale Moon, at least disable it at the Global level and just enabled it on your games/whatever at the program-specified level.
There, you can keep hardware acceleration.
Firefox does not have FXAA available, something that I favor PaleMoon for.

Edit: I use the Beta and Stable versions of the drivers off and on, so they have the same result.

tander2491

Unread post by tander2491 » 2012-08-28, 21:08

megaman wrote:Once again, I have said this before.
You have to disable FXAA on Pale Moon, at least disable it at the Global level and just enabled it on your games/whatever at the program-specified level.
There, you can keep hardware acceleration.
Firefox does not have FXAA available, something that I favor PaleMoon for.

Edit: I use the Beta and Stable versions of the drivers off and on, so they have the same result.
Thanks for that! Created a profile for Pale Moon in the nVidia control panel and disabled FXAA. Re-enabled hardware acceleration and I can see the window controls. Thanks!

P.S. My previous issue of the font not appearing clearly has also been resolved by doing said fix.