Google Search to be removed from Pale Moon

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Google Search to be removed from Pale Moon

Unread post by Tomaso » 2016-08-16, 20:57

Moonchild wrote:it's been available as extra "free" support to them for financially supporting the project through the monetized parts of their AdSense service.
Google AdSense is still present on PM's main page.

--
Any reason why you've disabled direct linking to the respective XML files?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-08-16, 21:26

Tomaso wrote:Google AdSense is still present on PM's main page.
And it will remain so. That has, however, nothing to do with search from the start page.
Depending on how Google will continue to treat me (or continues to persecute me) that may change in time or not.
Tomaso wrote:Any reason why you've disabled direct linking to the respective XML files?
The JS function called is the designated way to install search engine plugins. It's supposed to be done this way - the raw XML method is a bonus.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2016-08-16, 21:36

Moonchild wrote:the raw XML method is a bonus.
..which I'd appreciate if you made available. :)

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-08-16, 23:23

The javascript method is the ONLY way it is going to trigger the install.. JUST going to the URL will only display XML..

Also, I am feeding this through a script that outputs XML instead of using the actual xml files on the filesystem so that I can implement protections against hot linking if necessary.

If you wish to view the post-installed form of the xml you can find it a directory called "searchplugins" at the root of your user profile.

EDIT: 32 search engine plugins have been added to the Add-ons Site and the page is now listed in the menu.

Is this a sufficient response for removing Google from our default set of inbox search plugins?

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2016-08-17, 04:40

Nice! Though a question @Matt A Tobin: Will there be an icon for the search engines and maybe a summary of what it does? :)
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-08-17, 05:23

LimboSlam wrote:Nice! Though a question @Matt A Tobin: Will there be an icon for the search engines and maybe a summary of what it does? :)
I am still weighing my options for icons.. Wondering what the best way to go about it is.. Create thirty-two 64x64 px icons + more to come.. Reduce the icon size to 16x16 and use whatever the xml has set for them which would also eliminate the description.. Or what.. If I did keep the larger icons.. WOULD you be willing to come up with the text for each search plugin.. I had enough trouble doing it for the initial 5 or 6 and then simply wrote an if block that says if $desc == one space exactly then $desc = 'The ' . $title . ' Search Plugin' as a default description.. A good chunk of these search plugins's sites I have never even heard of.

I figured, for the moment though, get a good offering out there now and make it not look like crap. And what is up now is the result :)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-08-17, 08:32

Getting the 64x64 px logos is going to be important for people to quickly find what they are familiar with.
I can do that after I'm done with RelEng, or someone else who is well-versed in graphics can. Transparent PNG files would be best.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2016-08-17, 15:22

Matt A Tobin wrote:you can find it a directory called "searchplugins" at the root of your user profile.
I'm aware of this, but that would be more of a workaround, forcing me to actually install all the plugins that I'd like to keep!
The "searchplugins" folder is not located in my user profile directory btw, but in PM's program directory (Program Files\Pale Moon\browser\searchplugins).

And now I've noticed that there's no more direct links for XPI files either?
Damn, this really sucks!
I like to keep a updated collection of add-ons on a USB stick, for quick and easy installations..
Now, this has become a real problem!! :(

Could you at least make these files available on the FTP, providing a addons:get login link or something?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-08-17, 15:29

I'm sorry this has become so burdensome for you but I am trying to bring these bits of code together to reduce redundancy and stardardise how things are done towards the goal i set out to do two years ago.. That of Project Phoebus.

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2016-08-17, 15:39

Matt A Tobin wrote:I am trying to bring these bits of code together to reduce redundancy and stardardise how things are done towards the goal i set out to do two years ago.. That of Project Phoebus.
OK.
But how about that FTP solution that I mentioned?
I don't see how that can be a problem, since it's already used for many other files.
Actually, I'd even prefer such a solution over the old direct linking method!

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-08-17, 16:37

That would be a lot of work as i am trying to get away from standard ftp and allowing public access to our unrestricted datastore is percisely the situation i want to avoid. I want to also prevent extra load on our server. As well as the surface area for potental attacks and abuse..

I do have every intention to work out a solution for previous versions if that is any consolation.

Your suggestion is RESOLVED WONTFIX .. Sorry.

Also, this whole thing is off-topic.. I will split it out when i get home.

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2016-08-17, 16:51

Matt A Tobin wrote:WONTFIX
Well, that sucks.
Guess I'll just have to get the files from the user/program directory then, like you suggested.

btw; the Unbubble search engine download is broken.

wost_

Unread post by wost_ » 2016-08-17, 19:14

EDIT: Never mind.
Last edited by wost_ on 2016-08-17, 21:01, edited 1 time in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-08-17, 20:36

Welp.. guess i need to add some sort of key that is generated and sent or something. Thanks for the extra work.

Enjoy abusing the server until I get around to it.

Lunix

Unread post by Lunix » 2016-08-17, 21:40

Having DuckDuckGo as the default search for Pale Moon makes sense. IE and Edge come with Bing set as the default. Everybody understands that browser makers have to set as default whichever search provider pays them best.

artJay

Unread post by artJay » 2016-08-17, 22:26

I don't have anything against the removal of Google Search. Reinstalling the engine takes only several seconds for people who really need it, plus it's already been said here that Google engine can easily be reached via DuckDuckGo bangs. In fact I've been using bangs for so long that I don't even recall searching anything via typing words directly into browser's Google search box. :D

I'm surprised that this announcement caused so much disturbance amongst users.

JodyThornton

Unread post by JodyThornton » 2016-08-17, 23:11

I don't think it was really disturbance as much as speculation as to how the browser's impression might be affected. Nothing wrong with that. Makes for good conversation and thought (I don't know why everyone it seems in tech-type forums gets turned off by speculation on what a company may or may not do, or how a product's future may roll out. In other fields, like the one I work in, changes are abound and we speculate or predict next moves all the time. It's by far the best part)

Top Gun

Unread post by Top Gun » 2016-08-18, 00:29

I feel bad about registering an account just for the sake of posting this, especially since I've generally been very happy with Pale Moon since I first tried it, but I did feel as though I wanted to share my initial reaction to this. I have no problem whatsoever with Moonchild making a decision like this that's in the best interests of the project, especially when he's basically getting screwed over by Google's policies. However, I do have something of a problem when a component of my browser that I use on a daily basis is forcibly removed without my having any say-so in the process. I've had Google as my preferred quick search bar engine since, well, I don't even know what ancient version of Firefox I started with (3 maybe?) And yes, while it was a simple one-click step to restore it, the principle of having features removed without any action on my part rubs me the wrong way. It's primarily for that reason that I jumped ship from Firefox to Pale Moon in the first place. Again, I understand removing Google as a default option from future Pale Moon distributions and from the start page, but reaching into individual installs to remove it as well seems like a step too far in my opinion.

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2016-08-18, 01:06

Top Gun wrote: Again, I understand removing Google as a default option from future Pale Moon distributions and from the start page, but reaching into individual installs to remove it as well seems like a step too far in my opinion.
I know is bad to cross posting but in the hurry to made a tutorial to make Google back to Pale Moon, at the moment to write this is only in Spanish. Still the images are made with the English version of Pale Moon so you can follow the tutorial while I made it in English.

Como instalar de nuevo Google Search en Pale Moon 26.4.0+ (How to install again Google Search in Pale Moon 26.4.0+)
https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12825

EDIT: Go here for the full English version now:
How to install again Google Search in Pale Moon 26.4.0+ https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12826

illiad
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by illiad » 2016-08-21, 08:12

JodyThornton wrote:Actually in all fairness, I think that Microsoft removed the Google search add-on for Internet Explorer. At least they did for a short time.
havent seen it here, and I am regularly installing/ checking IE updates on win 7... they may have made it 'difficult to find' adding more steps, but the plus!! I found adblock plus is now available and working on IE, for those tied to it, using in house software to check customer casework.. :)
VM 300Mbs in london england :lol: :coffee: on Intel Core I7 3GHz on Gigabyte X58a.
PM 32.4.1(64bit) on win7(64bit) sp1 - does ytoobe better than FF!! 8-) :lol: :P
Got 24Gig, Nvidia GTX 1060 :D dont need 4k - not rich, not gamer, newer GPUs only for $$$ peeps
:eh: useragentstring(com) :problem: FF 115.3.1 :angel: :P