[Solved] Cannot Install Pale Moon 15.0

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

[Solved] Cannot Install Pale Moon 15.0

Unread post by Night Wing » 2012-08-27, 11:54

I hope this is the correct place to post this, but if it isn't, please go easy on me.

I have messed up badly and I can't install (Pale Moon 15.0). I'll explain why.

I saw the announcement of Pale Moon 15.0 earlier this morning. I was using Pale Moon (v12.3). Since PM 15.0 is a major version, this didn't me anything to me since I'm a non technical person.

I tried updating to 15 from 12.3 by using the updater in the Help, then About Pale Moon and clicking on Check for Updates. Everything was going fine until Pale Moon tried to restart. Pale Moon closed and went to my Desktop and nothing ever happened. Pale Moon failed to relaunch since my computer stayed on my Desktop.

I knew I was in trouble then. I then uninstalled Pale Moon via Control Panel, Programs and Features. The only problem, in the Programs and Features, it listed Pale Moon as (v15.0). I then realized I was in big trouble. With that said, I then uninstalled Pale Moon (15.0).

Without Pale Moon, I have to use my backup browser Firefox. I then went to the Pale Moon home page site and downloaded Pale Moon (15.0) via the Sity hosting site. Downloaded the installer and everything was going well until Pale Moon tried to restart. All I got was a box saying, "Pale Moon Not Responding" and it stayed this way for 5 minutes. I immediately realized I was in "Big, Big Trouble". After waiting 2 more minutes, I knew I messed up really badly and I didn't know what to do so I closed the "not responding box".

Is there anyway I get get Pale Moon 15 on my computer? If there is a way, please realize I'm not a power user. I'm a non technical person who needs plain english and not power user geek instructions.

BTW, since this is my backup computer, I have the installer to PM v12.3 on my Desktop so if I can never go beyond (v12.3), that's okay with me.

I've got my main computer with Pale Moon v12.3 still on it, but I won't try to update to PM 15 on that computer until I or someone else figures out what I did wrong. I don't want a repeat of what I have with this backup computer and Pale Moon (15.0).
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Cannot Install Pale Moon 15.0

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-08-27, 13:44

It was my error, there was an issue in the manifests of the updater file (the list of files to be added and removed when upgrading). I pulled the internal updates offline asap, but apparently you tapped the update button before then :P

I've fixed it now and the internal updater should work properly.

Using the normal installer from www.palemoon.org should at all times work, though. Perhaps you are using an add-on or theme that is incompatible with v15, so try to start Pale Moon 15 with SHIFT held down, to get the safe mode dialog box, then disable all add-ons and reset toolbars and controls.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Cannot Install Pale Moon 15.0

Unread post by Night Wing » 2012-08-27, 17:32

Moonchild,

Great news! :) I've got Pale Moon 15 installed and it's working properly!! :D

Yes, I tried to update to PM 15, via the internal updater, at 6:45am this morning and ran into my fiasco. Your message not to use the updater was written at 7:11am this morning so for me, the damage was already done.

Anyhow, my power user next door neighbor came over to my house and mind you, this computer was turned off for 4 hours. When the computer was turned backed on and fully loaded, the PM 15 installer was sitting on my Desktop.

First, my neighbor right clicked on the installer and when the box popped up, he clicked "Open". Even after the computer was turned completely off for the past 4 hours, a box popped up saying "Pale Moon is still running".

This didn't deter my neighbor. He closed the box, right clicked on the PM installer a second time and this time, clicked on "Run as administrator". About 20 seconds went by and the Pale Moon install wizard popped up. The wizard went through the motions and when it came time to click on "Finish", I held my breath because when I got to this point earlier this morning, Pale Moon wouldn't respond. :silent: I had never tried this method earlier this morning.

Pale Moon then restarted and all is well. I'm a Pale Moon 15 happy camper. :mrgreen: I've learned my lesson though. From now on, I'll wait a day or two to see if "Murphy's Law" comes into play with other PM users who have to the have the latest version of PM as soon as the newest version of PM is released. I'm also not going to use the internal updater anymore. I'll completely uninstall PM and then update (upgrade) to the newest version via the installer.

In fact, my neighbor put a folder on my Desktop and labled it "Browser Installers". In this folder, he put the installers for PM 12.3 and PM 15 in it along with the installers for FF 14.0.1 and also SeaMonkey (2.0.14).

Lastly, my neighbor told me all was not lost. My second internal hard drive, which is my backup hard drive, has the system image of my "C" drive on it. Since it updates on the first of the month, he said we could put the system image on the backup hard drive back onto my main "C" hard drive so I wouldn't have lost Pale Moon.

Now, I've got to upgrade to PM 15 on my main computer. Hopefully, everything will run smooth during this update.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox