moving profile from XP 32bit to win7 64bit

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Edkiefer

moving profile from XP 32bit to win7 64bit

Unread post by Edkiefer » 2012-08-25, 17:57

This may sound like dumb question but I am new to 64bit OS . I know how to move profile folder content over from one version or system to another but is there a problem with moving 32bit profile data to a 64bit system . I assume since it is data and not exe or dll its ok, just checking though .

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: moving profile from XP 32bit to win7 64bit

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-08-25, 18:19

There's no problem moving profile data from a 32-bit to a 64-bit system. It would even not be a problem if you move to a 64-bit version of the browser, although for plugin compatibility's sake I do recommend you use the 32-bit version of Pale Moon on your new O.S. (you may be missing some plugin functionality otherwise, e.g. gaming plugins or bank-ID or similar)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Edkiefer

Unread post by Edkiefer » 2012-08-26, 03:43

Moonchild wrote:There's no problem moving profile data from a 32-bit to a 64-bit system. It would even not be a problem if you move to a 64-bit version of the browser, although for plugin compatibility's sake I do recommend you use the 32-bit version of Pale Moon on your new O.S. (you may be missing some plugin functionality otherwise, e.g. gaming plugins or bank-ID or similar)
That is interesting, so your saying don't bother to go 64bit of Palemoon even on win7 64bit OS , my memory usage is normally around 700mb . only extensions i use are Adblock Plus and plugins the usual Adobe Acrobat , Shockwave flash , Silverlight plugin ,VLC web plugin and a Windows presentation foundation . I didn't even think of checking those for 64/32bit . SO the plugins and extension should match the browser or OS . I mean if I use 32bit Palemoon do you use 32bit extensions or 64bit if available .

I don't have system running yet so maybe these questions sound odd , anyway thanks for help .

Ed

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2012-08-26, 03:56

Edkiefer wrote:SO the plugins and extension should match the browser or OS . I mean if I use 32bit Palemoon do you use 32bit extensions or 64bit if available .
The very few plugins made for an X64 browser.
As for the ones you have mentioned, they all work, except not sure about the Windows Presentation Foundation, Windows Media Player X64 plugin sure.
You use 32-bit on 32-bit Palemoon. Hardly any add-on fails to work, there has been a reported few, but rare few.

I use the 32-bit version on my Windows 7 Ultimate X64, mainly for the Nexon game plugin.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-08-26, 06:26

What I said only applies to plugins, not to add-ons. Almost all of the add-ons available are independent of O.S.
Plugins are invariably binary files (.dll) and require that they match the O.S., while add-ons (extensions) are created using platform-independent code, with a very few exceptions that use binary components.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Edkiefer

Unread post by Edkiefer » 2012-08-26, 13:38

Moonchild wrote:What I said only applies to plugins, not to add-ons. Almost all of the add-ons available are independent of O.S.
Plugins are invariably binary files (.dll) and require that they match the O.S., while add-ons (extensions) are created using platform-independent code, with a very few exceptions that use binary components.
ok, Now that i think of it that makes sense as things like flash get installed under windows folders so I guess best to match that with OS . I will use 32bit Palemoon anyway as I don't need 64bit browser (at least one that needs 4+gig of access to memory) .
Ok, just looked at Adobe site there is no specific 64 built flash installer same one for all windows (win7-XP ) so that makes it simpler :D

thanks for help

Ed

Soldier1st

Unread post by Soldier1st » 2012-08-29, 06:56

Edkiefer wrote:
Moonchild wrote:What I said only applies to plugins, not to add-ons. Almost all of the add-ons available are independent of O.S.
ok, Now that i think of it that makes sense as things like flash get installed under windows folders so I guess best to match that with OS . I will use 32bit Palemoon anyway as I don't need 64bit browser (at least one that needs 4+gig of access to memory) .
Ok, just looked at Adobe site there is no specific 64 built flash installer same one for all windows (win7-XP ) so that makes it simpler :D

thanks for help

Ed
Since Flash 11.3, Adobe has integrated the installer so there is no longer a separate x86/x64 build of flash. It makes installing/updating it alot simpler.