How to remove the TitleBar

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
BarbieBarb

How to remove the TitleBar

Unread post by BarbieBarb » 2016-06-12, 03:14

Where is the complete list of installable versions for Palemoon please :?:
I really want to go back to a previous version where there is NO TitleBar or at least an Option for NO TitleBar
like they do with Firefox in the "Customize toolbarbutton storage palette".

I am so use to NO TitleBar in Firefox and it best suits me.
The TitleBar takes up too much vertical space and I can always hover the tab to see the complete webpage title if needed.
I can easily min/max/close by rightclick in the taskbar Palemoon icon and some other cracks and corners.

With userChrome.css I have all my toolbars colored lightgrey and then the TitleBar is stuck with an eyesore blue.
Thankyou

EDIT
There is also a CustomButton that allows for min/max/restore/close
Chromeless Complete
http://custombuttons.sourceforge.net/fo ... 821b26f1ec
Last edited by BarbieBarb on 2016-06-13, 20:35, edited 3 times in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Install previous version of Palemoon

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-06-12, 03:47

We have never NOT had a Titlebar.. Be it the system caption bar or one drawn by the application (toggled depending on if you show the menu bar or not). The only thing that was different now compared to previous versions was that we did not always have a way to show the title bar text when the menu bar was hidden. Either way this does not take up any more space than not having the text since it literally painted into the previously empty space when you see/use the AppMenu button (the blue Pale Moon button).

BarbieBarb

Unread post by BarbieBarb » 2016-06-12, 05:00

Thankyou Matt A Tobin
Okay thanks for clarifying about the TitleBar.
I don't use the AppMenu button, I always display the menubar, and it is the verticle space I need to save.
Therefore I want the TitleBar gone and without an Addon preferably as too many addons can cause issues.
So I guess all I can do is wait and hope for future Option of NO TitleBar... fingers crossed.
TITLEBAR hide show button.PNG

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-06-12, 07:09

If you display the system menubar, you will always have a title bar because that uses the standard application window frame, just like all other applications.
It's nice that you "want" this without add-ons, but it's not going to happen without add-ons in Pale Moon. If you carefully pick your add-ons, then you will not have any issues.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Menu bar in titlebar

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2016-06-12, 22:26

BarbieBarb wrote: I am so use to NO TitleBar in Firefox and it best suits me.
The TitleBar takes up too much vertical space and I can always hover the tab to see the complete webpage title if needed.
Try this: In preferences (about:config) toggle "browser.tabs.drawInTitlebar" to Boolean "true" (double-left-click on "browser.tabs.drawinTitlebar" in about:config preferences to change the value to "true").
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2016-06-12, 22:29

BarbieBarb wrote: With userChrome.css I have all my toolbars colored lightgrey and then the TitleBar is stuck with an eyesore blue.
Try this preference setting (about:config): set "status4evar.status.urlbar.color" to "GrayText".
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Davesnothere

Unread post by Davesnothere » 2016-06-13, 18:19

I have always had to use an extension to make my title bar vanish in Mozilla-related browsers.

For FireFox non-Australis UI versions, and for Pale Moon up to and including the 25 series from which I am making this post, I use this one :

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... src=search

The current version of HCTBP is NOT what to use, and you need to go to the all versions page and get version 2.8.6 instead.

It has other features too, but you can disable what you do not need/want.

BTW, I also developed an extension to ONLY hide the titlebar for SeaMonkey (because the above one cannot be made to work there), and it works too for PM and non-A FF, but the above one is better if you can use it.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2016-06-13, 18:45

Maybe I'm missing something or not understanding but I am able to not display the title-bar at the top of the browser and instead display the PM button, tabs and browser control buttons all on the same row at the top line of the browser without the need of any add-on just using the Preference settings I've mentioned.

Example, PM button, tabs and browser control buttons all on top-line of browser with no title-bar:
Top browser line consisting of PM button, tabs and control buttons without any title-bar taking up extra room.
Top browser line consisting of PM button, tabs and control buttons without any title-bar taking up extra room.
Am I understanding you correctly?

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2016-06-13, 18:50

Wait, now I'm confused the topic is "Menu bar in titlebar" :?

Are we talking about the "Menu bar" or "Title bar"?

From what was actually posted I took the topic to be about not displaying the webpage "Title bar" (which is what my posts are based on).

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: How to remove the TitleBar

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2016-06-13, 19:02

Pale Moon Rising wrote: I am able to not display the title-bar at the top of the browser and instead display the PM button, tabs and browser control buttons all on the same row at the top line of the browser without the need of any add-on just using the Preference settings I've mentioned.
For that preference ( browser.tabs.drawInTitlebar ) to accomplish this, you must hide the Menu Bar and set Tabs on Top.
OP uses the Menu Bar:
BarbieBarb wrote:I don't use the AppMenu button, I always display the menubar...
I believe she is trying to move the Menu bar into the space/position currently occupied by the title bar. [CORRECTED. SEE EDIT BELOW]

EDIT:
Changed this post's title from "Re: Menu bar in titlebar" to BarbieBarb's corrected topic title "Re: How to remove the TitleBar" to properly reflect the purpose of the thread. (I never noticed that the original title had been modified.)
Last edited by coffeebreak on 2016-06-13, 22:25, edited 1 time in total.

BarbieBarb

Unread post by BarbieBarb » 2016-06-13, 20:53

I did not change this thread title to "Menu bar in titlebar".
Some mod must have changed it on their own to "Menu bar in titlebar" which is NOT what I am enquiring about,
and for that reason it should not have been changed.
The previous title was "Install previous version of Palemoon".
It probably should be "how to remove the titlebar" which I myself have changed it to now.

Thankyou Pale Moon Rising but...
Pale Moon Rising wrote: Try this: In preferences (about:config) toggle "browser.tabs.drawInTitlebar" to Boolean "true" (double-left-click on "browser.tabs.drawinTitlebar" in about:config preferences to change the value to "true").
This is already set to true as the default.
Pale Moon Rising wrote: Try this preference setting (about:config): set "status4evar.status.urlbar.color" to "GrayText".).
This is already set to GrayText as default.
Pale Moon Rising wrote: Maybe I'm missing something or not understanding but I am able to not display the title-bar at the top of the browser and instead display the PM button, tabs and browser control buttons all on the same row at the top line of the browser without the need of any add-on just using the Preference settings I've mentioned.
The PaleMoon button only appears in the menubar for me... even though those preferences in about:config are set as true already. Also I never use Tabs on Top as it makes it too long of a stretch to reach up to when constantly reaching for the tabs.
Thankyou
Last edited by BarbieBarb on 2016-06-13, 21:08, edited 2 times in total.

BarbieBarb

Unread post by BarbieBarb » 2016-06-13, 21:04

See post above ^
Davesnothere wrote: and for Pale Moon up to and including the 25 series from which I am making this post, I use this one :
Okay thanks.. I do not want to use an Addon because I already have too many but I will keep that in mind as an option thankyou.
It is Palemoon 26 now but most likely will work for that as well I would think.

Otherwise I guess I am stuck with this Palemoon button instead of displaying "File Edit View Historu Bookmarks Tools help"
as the only other way to remove the titlebar.
Thankyou

This is how I have my firefox layout... NO TitleBar at all but still displaying the menubar "File Edit View History Bookmarks Tools help"
in which I use CSS to make the font smaller and compress items closer together.
TOOLBAR layout.PNG
TOOLBAR layout.PNG (10.47 KiB) Viewed 6719 times

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2016-06-13, 21:21

coffeebreak wrote:
Pale Moon Rising wrote: I am able to not display the title-bar at the top of the browser and instead display the PM button, tabs and browser control buttons all on the same row at the top line of the browser without the need of any add-on just using the Preference settings I've mentioned.
For that preference ( browser.tabs.drawInTitlebar ) to accomplish this, you must hide the Menu Bar and set Tabs on Top.
Good point coffeebreak, yes I do have Tabs-on-Top and no menu-bar (as illustrated in my screen-shot of course) so this is a factor to consider in regards to what anyone else might one as far as where tabs are located as well as displayed the menu-bar or not. :thumbup:

So you're correct that BarbieBarb would need to have Tabs-on-Top and not have the menu-bar to get what I have ;), which doesn't help in this case since this is not what is desired. :(

Thanks for clarifying. :thumbup:

BarbieBarb

Unread post by BarbieBarb » 2016-06-13, 21:38

For me...
Both preferences are already set to true, Hide Menubar, "Tabs on Top"...
and the titlebar is still there, App button appears in titlebar and not in Tabs Toolbar.
Palemoon 25.5.0
TABS on top and no menubar.PNG

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-06-13, 22:32

Maximize the application for tabs to be in titlebar. The reason it is not that way when in a window is it reduces the hit box area for dragging said window down to JUST the gap below the caption buttons on Windows 7 and pretty much makes it undraggable depending on number of tabs on Windows 8+

BarbieBarb

Unread post by BarbieBarb » 2016-06-13, 22:58

Thankyou Matt A Tobin
Matt A Tobin wrote:Maximize the application for tabs to be in titlebar. The reason it is not that way when in a window is it reduces the hit box area for dragging said window down to JUST the gap below the caption buttons on Windows 7 and pretty much makes it undraggable depending on number of tabs on Windows 8+
That worked. Needed to be in Maximize mode. Thankyou for the explanation as well... I like to know why things are the way they are... because with explanation then I cannot question or complain about it.
Not going to ever use tabs on top but was just testing and checking it out and couldn't understand why it didn't work for me the same way as others.
Thankyou
Last edited by BarbieBarb on 2016-06-14, 00:34, edited 1 time in total.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2016-06-14, 00:26

BarbieBarb wrote:For me...
Both preferences are already set to true, Hide Menubar, "Tabs on Top"...
and the titlebar is still there, App button appears in titlebar and not in Tabs Toolbar.
Palemoon 25.5.0
TABS on top and no menubar.PNG
Just curious, what does setting "browser.tabs.drawInTitlebar" to Boolean "true" do for you?

Edit: well never mind, not important --- just noticed further down you posted "Not going to ever use tabs on top".... ;)

Davesnothere

Unread post by Davesnothere » 2016-06-14, 01:22

Pale Moon Rising wrote:Maybe I'm missing something or not understanding but I am able to not display the title-bar at the top of the browser and instead display the PM button, tabs and browser control buttons all on the same row at the top line of the browser without the need of any add-on just using the Preference settings I've mentioned.

Example, PM button, tabs and browser control buttons all on top-line of browser with no title-bar:
[pic]
Am I understanding you correctly?
Yes and no.

AFAIK, you are correct in what you reported, but it only applies IF you use the FF/PM Menu Button.

MY decade-plus-old way is to use the legacy horizontal Menu Bar, and I do not take well to change for the sake of change, which is how I regard the button.

Similarly, I see no point in moving my Tabs to the Top, as I have had them just above the web page content ever since Netscape 7.something introduced me to them.

Sorry for not qualifying those conditions earlier, and I am pleased that Pale Moon still offers the choice of having them that way.

However, choosing those options forces me to use an extension to be rid of the Title Bar, as I mentioned upthread, and I am OK with that.

Davesnothere

Title Bar, etc

Unread post by Davesnothere » 2016-06-14, 01:35

BarbieBarb wrote:
Davesnothere wrote: and for Pale Moon up to and including the 25 series from which I am making this post, I use this one :
Okay thanks.. I do not want to use an Addon because I already have too many but I will keep that in mind as an option thankyou.
It is Palemoon 26 now but most likely will work for that as well I would think.

Otherwise I guess I am stuck with this Palemoon button instead of displaying "File Edit View Historu Bookmarks Tools help"
as the only other way to remove the titlebar.
Thankyou

This is how I have my firefox layout... NO TitleBar at all but still displaying the menubar "File Edit View History Bookmarks Tools help"
in which I use CSS to make the font smaller and compress items closer together. [pic]
MY layout begins a lot like yours (identical for FireFox 24.x ESR and for Pale Moon 25.8.x).

Starting from the top :

Title Bar = OFF by extension
Horizontal Menu Bar = ON
Address Bar elements are dragged into the Menu Bar, some on each side of the Menu, and the Address Bar itself is turned OFF
Bookmarks bar = ON
TABs Bar = ON
Content = ON
Status Bar = Bottom Left Popup as needed

Total Top Toolbars = 3

Toolbar Buttons are set to Small.

EDIT : And BTW, I always run Maximized, which I just read makes a difference to the layout (and which I did not know before, due to always max'd).

EDIT : How are you getting rid of the Title Bar in FireFox ? - What version of FF ?
Last edited by Davesnothere on 2016-06-14, 13:39, edited 1 time in total.

BazBear

Unread post by BazBear » 2016-06-14, 02:47

While I understand BarbieBarb would prefer to avoid using an add-on, I will chime in to second Davesnothere's recommendation of Hide Caption Titlebar Plus. I'm using version 2.8.6.1 of that extension with PM 26.2.2 X64 on my Lubuntu 14.04.4 system (along with about a dozen other extensions) with no problems.

Screenshot of my setup-
2016-06-13-223847_1366x768_scrot.jpg