Repositories for supported Debian, Raspbian, and Ubuntu releases

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Repositories for supported Debian, Raspbian, and Ubuntu releases

Unread post by andyprough » 2023-02-16, 19:43

stevenpusser wrote:
2023-02-16, 01:37
Are there any tools that advertise being able to convert the code automatically?
I don't know if this is relevant, but I built Pale Moon with tauthon instead of python2.7 on Hyperbola GNU/Linux, since Hyperbola only offers tauthon. Seemed to work fine, I don't recall any issues. As you probably know, tauthon is a "backwards-compatible fork of the Python 2.7.18 interpreter with new syntax, builtins, and libraries backported from Python 3.x": https://github.com/naftaliharris/tauthon

I think I had to write some config option about tauthon in the .mozconfig - if you are interested leave me a note here and I'll look up what I did. The Hyperbola people have a lot of experience making their re-branded version of Basilisk with tauthon (they call it 'iceweasel-uxp' I think).

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2023-02-17, 00:01

Well, it doesn't look like anyone anywhere has "debianized" the tauthon source so it can be built into packages in the repo. I have done some simpler debianizations in the past, so I'll give it a try. At least I'm pretty good at Googling error messages that come up when I get a FTBFS.

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by andyprough » 2023-02-17, 00:28

stevenpusser wrote:
2023-02-17, 00:01
Well, it doesn't look like anyone anywhere has "debianized" the tauthon source so it can be built into packages in the repo. I have done some simpler debianizations in the past, so I'll give it a try. At least I'm pretty good at Googling error messages that come up when I get a FTBFS.
My Debian packaging lessons were interrupted before I could make sense of debianizing from source, but I'll bet we could get some help from anticapitalista if he has time. It would probably be a useful package for antiX. I'll ask him if he'd be willing to take a look at it.

EDIT: You might have to wait a bit, but one tauthon dev says binary packages are now a possible offering from their team, in response to a request for Debian packages: https://github.com/naftaliharris/tautho ... 1407495172

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-02-17, 06:26

Pentium4User wrote:
2023-02-16, 19:22
Doesn't that mean it will "die" in the future?
Python 2 is EoL.
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=28863&p=232152#p232152
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25625&p=210211#p210211

Build environments and run-time environments aren't necessarily the same. It doesn't matter if Python 2 is EoL and no longer gets security updates as it is only used as a tool in the build toolchain. The resulting binaries do not rely on it, so it doesn't matter if the tool itself is considered EoL and "unsafe" or what not because users of the application are not exposed to it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2023-02-17, 23:09

andyprough wrote:
2023-02-16, 19:43
stevenpusser wrote:
2023-02-16, 01:37
Are there any tools that advertise being able to convert the code automatically?
I don't know if this is relevant, but I built Pale Moon with tauthon instead of python2.7 on Hyperbola GNU/Linux, since Hyperbola only offers tauthon. Seemed to work fine, I don't recall any issues. As you probably know, tauthon is a "backwards-compatible fork of the Python 2.7.18 interpreter with new syntax, builtins, and libraries backported from Python 3.x": https://github.com/naftaliharris/tauthon

I think I had to write some config option about tauthon in the .mozconfig - if you are interested leave me a note here and I'll look up what I did. The Hyperbola people have a lot of experience making their re-branded version of Basilisk with tauthon (they call it 'iceweasel-uxp' I think).
Yes, I'm interested what you did in mozconfig. In Debian packaging, it's also possible to export an environment variable during the build in debian/rules, so maybe I can just tell it where to look for PYTHON or something..

I already learned how get the rules file to detect which distro code name it's being built on, so in that "if" statement, maybe

Code: Select all

export PYTHON = /usr/bin/tauthon
if that's even a thing.

I did get a minimal tauthon package built in the GTK 3 palemoon repo, but the PM builds can't find python, so yes, PM needs to be told where to find it.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2023-02-17, 23:14

Latest attempt shows that tauthon needs some extra modules built, namely struct and select to start with, so I have to see which extra build-depends will enable that in the build.

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by andyprough » 2023-02-18, 00:42

stevenpusser wrote:
2023-02-17, 23:09
Yes, I'm interested what you did in mozconfig. In Debian packaging, it's also possible to export an environment variable during the build in debian/rules, so maybe I can just tell it where to look for PYTHON or something..

I already learned how get the rules file to detect which distro code name it's being built on, so in that "if" statement, maybe

export PYTHON = /usr/bin/tauthon
if that's even a thing.

I did get a minimal tauthon package built in the GTK 3 palemoon repo, but the PM builds can't find python, so yes, PM needs to be told where to find it.
I'm wrong, there's nothing about tauthon or python in the .mozconfig I used on Hyperbola. I've attached a copy if you want to take a look (it's a bit messy, as I was merging a Pale Moon .mozconfig with a Hyperbola iceweasel .mozconfig).

I also don't see any environmental variable from the 'printenv' command in Hyperbola that points to tauthon or discusses python. It appears to me that tauthon simply broadcasts to the system that it is python2. I see that there is a /usr/local/bin/python2.7 program/script, which, when I run it says "Tauthon 2.8.2", and is an interactive help program. If I type "help", and then "help()", and then "modules", I get a list of all the python modules. Hyperbola does include struct and select modules.

Here's a copy of the Hyperbola PKGBUILD, if that would help: https://git.hyperbola.info:50100/packag ... n/PKGBUILD

EDIT: I built the 32.0.0 version on Hyperbola tonight to make sure it still works with tauthon, and it compiled and seems to be running fine.
Attachments
mozconfig-hyperbola.txt
(2.96 KiB) Downloaded 4 times

plunder
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by plunder » 2023-02-18, 12:42

stevenpusser wrote:
2022-06-17, 21:25
Stretch only has gcc-6 available, and as of version 31.0.0, Pale Moon requires a minimum of gcc-7 to build.

Debian is dropping any further security support for Stretch June 30, anyway, so maybe it's time to upgrade to Raspian 11 or 10?
I am on a freshly installed Raspian 10 (buster), on a Pi 3B. I have not downloaded any PM downloads.
Please could anyone show the commands how to download and install PM on the raspi, for me to copy/paste?
((btw it is very easy to do so with Firefox or Vivaldi on the raspi))
:wave:

Pentium4User
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Pentium4User » 2023-02-18, 16:58

The profile picture shows my Maico EC30 E ceiling fan.

plunder
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by plunder » 2023-02-18, 18:03

@Pentium4User , thanks for the pointer, it worked juhuu! :thumbup:
I used the instructions copy/paste for "Debian 10" to match my Raspbian 10 (buster):

echo 'deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/stevenpusser:/palemoon-GTK3/Debian_10/ /' | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/home:stevenpusser:palemoon-GTK3.list
curl -fsSL https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:stevenpusser:palemoon-GTK3/Debian_10/Release.key | gpg --dearmor | sudo tee /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/home_stevenpusser_palemoon-GTK3.gpg > /dev/null
sudo apt update
sudo apt install palemoon
That the sound/audio output from a music streaming site is still all §$%&# is yet another story and has nothing to do with the browser, it's a known problem on the raspi. Thanks again

random
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by random » 2023-02-19, 11:01

plunder wrote:
2023-02-18, 18:03
That the sound/audio output from a music streaming site is still all §$%&# is yet another story and has nothing to do with the browser, it's a known problem on the raspi. Thanks again
Distorted audio / noise or another problem? Audio works fine on my Raspi, only PM doesn't want to play MP3 files or streams properly.

plunder
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by plunder » 2023-02-19, 15:41

random wrote:
2023-02-19, 11:01
only PM doesn't want to play MP3 files or streams properly.
ahh that's what i meant. i tried all existing 'raspi-compatible browsers' on the raspi (all different Raspbian versions) and only few of them manage to play back audio streams properly, without noise/distortion. PM doesn't seem to be one of them, unfortunately.
well, Chrome on raspi does .. but haha on some streaming sites the Chrome browser would eventually crash after having streamed a few audio tracks from an online album.

some version of Firefox-ESR on some version of Raspbian is pretty stable (no crashing after a few audio tracks) and the audio is fine. since PM is related to Firefox, i had some hopes.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2023-02-21, 00:04

Since Pale Moon is using the system's libavcodec to play media, that makes me wonder if it's a crippled version in that distro.

I guess installing ffmpeg and using ffplay to try and play an mp3 would help answer that.

random
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by random » 2023-02-21, 09:59

It's a while that I tested it, but I only experienced problems in Palemoon regarding audio playback on Raspbian. I think opus (or maybe vorbis) was fine, but mp3 and aac was only noise. It sounded like a sample format issue. Like playing big-endian as little-endian or 32-bit as 16-bit or something like this.

I can make some tests again.

P.S.:
I found a previous post about the problem:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28647&p=230652&hili ... p3#p230690

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2023-02-22, 22:50

I also don't see any environmental variable from the 'printenv' command in Hyperbola that points to tauthon or discusses python. It appears to me that tauthon simply broadcasts to the system that it is python2. I see that there is a /usr/local/bin/python2.7 program/script, which, when I run it says "Tauthon 2.8.2", and is an interactive help program. If I type "help", and then "help()"...
I don't see my own deb package build installing any "python2.7" script anywhere, so I'll have to see if it exists in the source and then try and make sure it gets installed during the build, and that it can run tauthon.

And I'm working on packaging Pale Moon 32.0.1 right now, too.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2023-02-23, 00:39

I can't find that "python2.7" in tauthon anywhere. Is it possible that you could upload it or where it points if it's a symlink?

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by andyprough » 2023-02-23, 05:18

stevenpusser wrote:
2023-02-23, 00:39
I can't find that "python2.7" in tauthon anywhere. Is it possible that you could upload it or where it points if it's a symlink?
On Hyperbola, the package /usr/local/bin/python2.7 is sym-linked to /usr/bin/tauthon2.8, which is sym-linked to /usr/bin/tauthon. So, I guess whatever it is is provided by the tauthon package.

Here's a list of all the tauthon packages in Hyperbola: https://www.hyperbola.info/packages/?so ... =&flagged=. If you click on the package name and then the 'Upstream URL', most of them will take you to a Python package that seems to have been repurposed as a tauthon package. The 'Source Files' have the PKGBUILDs.

A couple of packages, tauthon-six and tauthon-pygtk seem involved in converting instructions from Python 2 to Python 3 (or vice versa) and in making tauthon work with gtk.

I'm not sure if this rambling post is of much use to you, but let me know if it would help you for me to dig around more in this Hyperbola laptop.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2023-02-23, 23:05

I think I tried those links in my latest attempt at tauthon, or was it the python2-config?...let me check.
I'm pretty sure I tried this link in my first try, in a debian/links file, and it didn't work either, but let me try again:

usr/bin/tauthon usr/bin/python2.7

(you don't have to use /usr in that sort of file for debian packages)

I did a manual build and install of tauthon on my MX 21 install, and then found that it doesn't have a uninstall option in the Makefile. It didn't create a python2.7 file in usr/local/bin, which was a good thing because it would probably have destroyed my real python2.7 install.

I'll try and ask the Tauthon devs on their github or whatever; maybe they'd be happy to see the first Linux package...?

Anyway, just uploaded 32.0.1 gtk2 source for the troublesome Bionic amd64 package that needs to build with gcc-8.

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2023-03-16, 20:57

I hope this is the place to post this.
Linux Mint has release version 21 (from 20.3) and the update utility is going to disable your repository on my machine because it is not explicitly supported.
I'm holding off on the update until the dust settles here.

Thank you!

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2023-03-16, 21:26

BenFenner wrote:
2023-03-16, 20:57
Linux Mint has release version 21 (from 20.3) and the update utility is going to disable your repository on my machine because it is not explicitly supported.
That's probably because Mint 20 is based on Ubuntu 20.04 and Mint 21 is based on Ubuntu 22.04. In an upgrade like that, it's pretty standard procedure for the upgrade utility to disable the older 20.04 repositories. Once you are done upgrading Mint, you can set up Steve's repository that supports Ubuntu 22.04, and that should work with your new shiny Mint 21.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.