Repositories for supported Debian, Raspbian, and Ubuntu releases

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Re: Repositories for supported Debian, Raspbian, and Ubuntu releases

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2022-07-09, 18:01

I'm currently working on 31.1.1, but a little late because I was hit by a pretty bad 48-hr stomach flu on Thursday morning. First i386 and amd64 builds should be appearing on the OBS in a few hours.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-07-09, 19:41

Off-topic:
stevepusser wrote:
2022-07-09, 18:01
I was hit by a pretty bad 48-hr stomach flu on Thursday morning.
Oof! I hope you are feeling better and/or get well soon, Steve!
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2022-08-03, 01:20

64 and 32-bit x86 builds of 31.2.0 are finishing up on the OBS, as well as arm64 (aarm64).

There appears to be a problem with the armhf (armv71) builds there, however. They are failing with a flurry of errors which are variations on one like this:

Code: Select all

error: inlining failed in call to always_inline 'vpadd_u8': target specific option mismatch
here's a zip of one of build logs; the errors start at 7304s.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1no1oTC ... sp=sharing

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-08-03, 04:59

stevepusser wrote:
2022-08-03, 01:20
There appears to be a problem with the armhf (armv71) builds there, however.
Looks like a cross-compile issue. Apparently, gcc only allows SIMD intrinsics to be used for instruction sets that are enabled for the compiler to use. i.e. it needs specific simd compiler flags to be passed to gcc for it to allow the use of those intrinsics in code, regardless if you provide the correct headers. That seems like a terrible oversight on gcc's part to me :/
Unfortunately I don't have a quick solution there but I'm guessing the build needs to be given specific -m flags on the erroring ARM Neon source code to work (e.g. -mavx or -msse4.1).

EDIT: a quick search gave a hint, maybe you need to specify -mfpu=neon in your config?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2022-08-03, 19:02

Moonchild wrote:
2022-08-03, 04:59
stevepusser wrote:
2022-08-03, 01:20
There appears to be a problem with the armhf (armv71) builds there, however.
Looks like a cross-compile issue. Apparently, gcc only allows SIMD intrinsics to be used for instruction sets that are enabled for the compiler to use. i.e. it needs specific simd compiler flags to be passed to gcc for it to allow the use of those intrinsics in code, regardless if you provide the correct headers. That seems like a terrible oversight on gcc's part to me :/
Unfortunately I don't have a quick solution there but I'm guessing the build needs to be given specific -m flags on the erroring ARM Neon source code to work (e.g. -mavx or -msse4.1).

EDIT: a quick search gave a hint, maybe you need to specify -mfpu=neon in your config?
OK, I assume that will go with the rest of any gcc flags in the mozconfig file.

I'll run a test build as a separate package, but it takes many hours to finish. A build error after 7400 seconds on the armhf emulated machine is still near the start of the build, but at least I can see if it gets past that error this afternoon.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2022-08-03, 20:12

The test OBS build/gcc rejected this syntax in the mozconfig:

ac_add_options --enable-optimize="-O2 -Wl -mfpu=neon,--no-keep-memory,--reduce-memory-overhead"
Assume I don't know anything about the syntax, because I don't. :? How is it supposed to read?

With 31.2.0, I also enabled av1 in the mozconfig per the packager's page example, since I don't have to worry about the problems it had with older gcc versions any longer. I'm running another test build with that disabled for armhf, just in case that caused the problems.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-08-03, 20:26

--enable-optimize will be literally passed to gcc. I don't think using commas in there is right but I simply don't know enough about the gcc CLI to help you.
I'm assuming space-separated options is what you'd need?

ac_add_options --enable-optimize="-O2 -Wl -mfpu=neon --no-keep-memory --reduce-memory-overhead"

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2022-08-03, 23:41

The comma-separated options is what I had in there before to reduce the memory consumption on 32-bit builds during the final libxul linking, since that was limited to 4 GB, along with the quotes around the whole schmeer. They did work, I just tried guessing where to add the extra flag. I do remember someone writing a while back that future releases shouldn't eat up as much RAM during linking, but don't know if we are there yet.

I did find this additional thing to worry about in the "gcc ARM flags":
If the selected floating-point hardware includes the NEON extension (e.g. -mfpu=neon), note that floating-point operations are not generated by GCC’s auto-vectorization pass unless -funsafe-math-optimizations is also specified. This is because NEON hardware does not fully implement the IEEE 754 standard for floating-point arithmetic (in particular denormal values are treated as zero), so the use of NEON instructions may lead to a loss of precision.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-08-04, 07:28

stevepusser wrote:
2022-08-03, 23:41
the use of NEON instructions may lead to a loss of precision.
Can't really help you there, nor do I know in what way that would impact Pale Moon (or if it's significant for a browser? We're not making scientific applications here...)
Also it seems to that gcc will simply skip one compiler optimization if using Neon and use FP emulation for it. So trading off some performance for accuracy. At least that's what I read there.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2022-08-04, 21:17

OK, I found out how to pass those gcc flags from the debian/rules file, and also how to have those particular flags only passed on autodetected armhf builds, so here's the complete set of flags in the ongoing test build on the OBS. Debian's debhelper automatically adds flags, which is probably why there are so many:

BUILD=. -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -mfpu=neon -funsafe-math-optimizations -fno-exceptions -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-rtti -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-exceptions -fno-math-errno -pipe -pthread  -g -O2 -Wl,--no-keep-memory,--reduce-memory-overhead -fomit-frame-pointer  -Wno-error=shadow 
The -Wl,--no-keep-memory,--reduce-memory-overhead flags are to reduce memory use during linking after the compile is finished...

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2022-08-05, 20:07

armhf builds succeeded for Debian 10, 11, Ubuntu 20.04, 21.10, and 22.04. Failed: Raspian 10, 11, and Debian testing and Sid. All managed to get through the actual compile--the ones that failed died during the final linking when ld threw out errors about "undefined references to blah blah blah".

What's annoying is that Raspian 10 and 11 are supposed to be equivalent to Debian 10 and 11, so I would expect those builds to also succeed. As a workaround, Raspian users can use the matching successful Debian armhf repo.

I'd try building the Debian testing and Sid versions on gcc-10 instead of 11 to see if that helps, except Ubuntu builds fine with gcc-11. :wtf:

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2022-08-06, 03:28

stevepusser wrote:
2022-08-05, 20:07
the ones that failed died during the final linking when ld threw out errors about "undefined references to blah blah blah".
Off-topic:
Oddly enough, I'm currently encountering a similar issue on gcc-11 after updating to Ubuntu 22.04. This wasn't the case back in u20.04 as I was able to build and run without any problems there. I've tried gcc-10 and it threw a warning at the same point as well, with the following message:

/usr/bin/ld: warning: ../../../../platform/toolkit/library/StaticXULComponents.ld contains output sections; did you forget -T?
This was on the master branch, which is why I doubt that the changes in my own dev branch caused this. The resulting binaries crashed immediately, so I'm now rebuilding with the recommended gcc-9 version. It does take an hour or so to complete, but I'm hoping that it will compile just fine now (fingers crossed).

Another thing is I'm not entirely sure if I'm doing it right in specifying the GCC version to be used. I added the following to my mozconfig:

export CC=gcc-9
export CXX=g++-9
export CPP=cpp-9
export LD=gcc-9

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-08-06, 04:41

FranklinDM wrote:
2022-08-06, 03:28
Off-topic:
Oddly enough, I'm currently encountering a similar issue on gcc-11 after updating to Ubuntu 22.04. This wasn't the case back in u20.04 as I was able to build and run without any problems there. I've tried gcc-10 and it threw a warning at the same point as well, with the following message:

/usr/bin/ld: warning: ../../../../platform/toolkit/library/StaticXULComponents.ld contains output sections; did you forget -T?
I've produced successful builds on newer Linux that all throw that warning during the build. I also know why it is produced (it's supposed to contain those), so that shouldn't be a major issue.

export CC=gcc-9
export CXX=g++-9
These two lines seem correct, but..
export CPP=cpp-9
export LD=gcc-9
These two, do not seem right. "CPP" is not a separate thing as far as I know. And LD is a separate program from GCC. The two main linkers that get used on Linux are gold and and bfd, and some also use the lld linker from LLVM. Some newer distros make "gold" the default ld, and put bfd under ld.bfd.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2022-08-06, 04:41

Hmm, that's interesting. I also did gcc-11, as well as gcc-12, and while they both gave me the same warning at the linking of libxul, I didn't get any crashes on runtime. I'm on the testing branch of Devuan GNU/Linux. I also only export CC and CXX, so the CPP and LD exports might cause issues for you.

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2022-08-06, 05:25

I've removed the CPP and LD exports from my mozconfig, re-cloned the UXP and Epyrus repositories, and am now building again. If the resulting binaries still crash, I think I'll just have to reinstall Ubuntu from scratch and perhaps try out CentOS 7 as well, while I'm at it.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-08-06, 05:42

FranklinDM wrote:
2022-08-06, 05:25
I've removed the CPP and LD exports from my mozconfig, re-cloned the UXP and Epyrus repositories, and am now building again. If the resulting binaries still crash, I think I'll just have to reinstall Ubuntu from scratch and perhaps try out CentOS 7 as well, while I'm at it.
I'm in the process of setting up an Ubuntu 22.04 test machine and seeing if UXP builds/runs at all on that OS. If it does, then perhaps a reinstall might be in order. But if not, then it probably wouldn't help.

EDIT: The build was successful with GCC 11 and default linker settings for me.

Just to rule something out... do the official binaries of Pale Moon or Epyrus work for you on there, or is it just your builds that crash instantly on newer Ubuntu? I remember some reports that our builds don't work out of the box on there for people with certain video card drivers, and it was after they updated that they started running into this problem. So this might not be a development issue at all.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2022-08-06, 07:07

athenian200 wrote:
2022-08-06, 05:42
Just to rule something out... do the official binaries of Pale Moon or Epyrus work for you on there, or is it just your builds that crash instantly on newer Ubuntu?
Yes, official binaries for both applications work (I'm currently using stevepusser's GTK2 build to write this post), including those that I've built in the older Ubuntu 20.04. I've been able to compile and it doesn't crash anymore - however, no window shows up and top says that it's eating ~15% CPU in the background doing nothing. The console messages after executing mach run doesn't provide anything useful:

frank@frank:/projects/uxp/epyrus$ ./mach run
 0:00.55 /projects/uxp/epyrus/obj-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/dist/bin/epyrus -no-remote -profile /projects/uxp/epyrus/obj-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/tmp/scratch_user
[calBackendLoader] Using Thunderbird's builtin libical backend
I'll just go ahead and reinstall the OS, I'm guessing something went wrong during the upgrade process.

GDB backtrace:

(gdb) bt
#0  0x00007f6d0917fb55 in  () at /projects/uxp/epyrus/obj-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/dist/bin/libxul.so
#1  0x00007f6d0aa9f9c9 in  () at /projects/uxp/epyrus/obj-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/dist/bin/libxul.so
#2  0x00007f6d0aa9fe3a in  () at /projects/uxp/epyrus/obj-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/dist/bin/libxul.so
#3  0x00007f6d0aa917a7 in  () at /projects/uxp/epyrus/obj-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/dist/bin/libxul.so
#4  0x00007f6d0aabca75 in  () at /projects/uxp/epyrus/obj-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/dist/bin/libxul.so
#5  0x00007f6d0aad051b in  () at /projects/uxp/epyrus/obj-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/dist/bin/libxul.so
#6  0x00007f6d0aac5242 in  () at /projects/uxp/epyrus/obj-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/dist/bin/libxul.so
#7  0x00007f6d0aad051b in  () at /projects/uxp/epyrus/obj-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/dist/bin/libxul.so
#8  0x00007f6d0ab07bea in  () at /projects/uxp/epyrus/obj-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/dist/bin/libxul.so
#9  0x00007f6d0ab11e7d in  () at /projects/uxp/epyrus/obj-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/dist/bin/libxul.so
#10 0x00007f6d0ab12fa2 in  () at /projects/uxp/epyrus/obj-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/dist/bin/libxul.so
#11 0x00007f6d0aad0cc8 in  () at /projects/uxp/epyrus/obj-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/dist/bin/libxul.so
#12 0x00007f6d0ab9d7e3 in  () at /projects/uxp/epyrus/obj-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/dist/bin/libxul.so
#13 0x00007f6d0aa74b76 in  () at /projects/uxp/epyrus/obj-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/dist/bin/libxul.so
#14 0x00007f6d0aa784cc in  () at /projects/uxp/epyrus/obj-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/dist/bin/libxul.so
#15 0x00007f6d0aa78107 in  () at /projects/uxp/epyrus/obj-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/dist/bin/libxul.so
#16 0x00007f6d0aa8e04c in  () at /projects/uxp/epyrus/obj-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/dist/bin/libxul.so
#17 0x00007f6d0aa8e4f8 in  () at /projects/uxp/epyrus/obj-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/dist/bin/libxul.so
#18 0x00007f6d0aa8e654 in  () at /projects/uxp/epyrus/obj-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/dist/bin/libxul.so
#19 0x00007f6d0aa80e0f in  () at /projects/uxp/epyrus/obj-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/dist/bin/libxul.so
#20 0x00007f6d089a96fe in  () at /projects/uxp/epyrus/obj-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/dist/bin/libxul.so
#21 0x00007f6d089cff3c in  () at /projects/uxp/epyrus/obj-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/dist/bin/libxul.so
#22 0x00007f6d08d4daca in  () at /projects/uxp/epyrus/obj-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/dist/bin/libxul.so
#23 0x00007f6d08d30589 in  () at /projects/uxp/epyrus/obj-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/dist/bin/libxul.so
#24 0x00007f6d0a77191c in  () at /projects/uxp/epyrus/obj-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/dist/bin/libxul.so
#25 0x00007f6d0aeed04e in  () at /projects/uxp/epyrus/obj-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/dist/bin/libxul.so
#26 0x00007f6d0af1150e in  () at /projects/uxp/epyrus/obj-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/dist/bin/libxul.so
#27 0x00007f6d0af11e3c in  () at /projects/uxp/epyrus/obj-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/dist/bin/libxul.so
#28 0x00007f6d0af1212b in XRE_main () at /projects/uxp/epyrus/obj-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/dist/bin/libxul.so
#29 0x0000561667696a45 in  ()
#30 0x00005616676960c7 in  ()
#31 0x00007f6d0d440d90 in __libc_start_call_main (main=main@entry=0x561667696060, argc=argc@entry=4, argv=argv@entry=0x7fff7f9aa7d8)
    at ../sysdeps/nptl/libc_start_call_main.h:58
#32 0x00007f6d0d440e40 in __libc_start_main_impl
     (main=0x561667696060, argc=4, argv=0x7fff7f9aa7d8, init=<optimized out>, fini=<optimized out>, rtld_fini=<optimized out>, stack_end=0x7fff7f9aa7c8)
    at ../csu/libc-start.c:392
#33 0x0000561667696335 in _start ()

random
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by random » 2022-08-11, 06:29

stevepusser wrote:
2022-08-05, 20:07
armhf builds succeeded for Debian 10, 11, Ubuntu 20.04, 21.10, and 22.04. Failed: Raspian 10, 11, and Debian testing and Sid.

What's annoying is that Raspian 10 and 11 are supposed to be equivalent to Debian 10 and 11, so I would expect those builds to also succeed. As a workaround, Raspian users can use the matching successful Debian armhf repo.
What is the difference between the Raspbian and Debian versions anyway? Before there were Raspbian 11 versions available, I always used the Debian 11 Palemoon package on Raspbian 11.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2022-08-12, 22:18

As far as I know, they should be equivalent. Raspian does leave off certain Qt 5 packages that Debian includes, https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=320031
which caused problems when I built Stellarium armhf packages on Debian armhf that ended up depending on runtimes that aren't in Raspian, but Raspian users were able to just installing the missing debs from the Debian repo, and then it worked fine.

But that doesn't affect Pale Moon builds.

Pentium4User
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Pentium4User » 2022-08-19, 11:43

Ubuntu 21.10 can be removed, EoL.
The profile picture shows my Maico EC30 E ceiling fan.