Repositories for supported Debian, Raspbian, and Ubuntu releases

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Re: Repositories for supported Debian, Raspbian, and Ubuntu releases

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2022-12-24, 20:49

The OBS is still throwing the same fatal compiler error for ARM with the PR jxl-0.7...

Code: Select all

[ 2995s] In file included from /usr/src/packages/BUILD/platform/media/libjxl/src/lib/jxl/modular/transform/transform.cc:11:
[ 2995s] /usr/src/packages/BUILD/platform/media/libjxl/src/lib/jxl/modular/transform/palette.h: In function 'jxl::Status jxl::InvPalette(jxl::Image&, uint32_t, uint32_t, uint32_t, jxl::Predictor, const jxl::weighted::Header&, jxl::ThreadPool*)':
[ 2995s] /usr/src/packages/BUILD/platform/media/libjxl/src/lib/jxl/modular/transform/palette.h:124:20: error: variable 'std::atomic<int> num_errors' has initializer but incomplete type
[ 2995s]   124 |   std::atomic<int> num_errors{0};
[ 2995s]       |                    ^~~~~~~~~~
[ 2996s] make[7]: *** [/usr/src/packages/BUILD/platform/config/rules.mk:886: transform.o] Error 1
[ 2996s] make[7]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/packages/BUILD/obj-armv7l-unknown-linux-gnueabihf/media/libjxl'
[ 2996s] make[6]: *** [/usr/src/packages/BUILD/platform/config/recurse.mk:71: media/libjxl/target] Error 2
[ 2996s] make[6]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2022-12-25, 02:47

That log output looks like it's still building from release, not from my PR... The line number of that num_errors variable should be 126, not 124.

Did the git pull lead to an error? My PR is after all not up-to-date with the master branch, which would make fast-forward not possible... I suggest deleting the platform directory and do the following from the Pale-Moon directory:

git clone https://repo.palemoon.org/jobbautista9/UXP.git platform
cd platform
git checkout jxl-0.7

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-12-25, 08:36

The jxl 0.7 work branch has now been merged into master, so you should be able to build from that as well if you want to build a test version.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2022-12-25, 21:24

I did first take a look at the actual jxl code in the pulled source, and it included the /debian folder from its github repo. The changelog file in there (platform/media/libjxl/src/debian/changelog):

jpeg-xl (0.7) UNRELEASED; urgency=medium

* Bump JPEG XL version to 0.7.

-- JPEG XL Maintainers <jpegxl@google.com>  Fri, 10 Sep 2021 16:08:17 +0200

jpeg-xl (0.6) unstable; urgency=medium

* Bump JPEG XL version to 0.6.

-- JPEG XL Maintainers <jpegxl@google.com>  Fri, 10 Sep 2021 16:08:17 +0200

but the original 31.4.2 code has the same changelog, too. :(

Mæstro
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Mæstro » 2022-12-26, 21:35

As of 26 Ⅻ 22, Debian 10 is still on v31·4·1. Am I right to infer from the above that there have been special problems compiling for Debian this round? I have no burning need for the newest version to come soon, but I want to confirm I understand what is happening and I would like to know what to expect.
Browser: Pale Moon (Pusser’s repository for Debian)
Operating System: Linux Mint Debian Edition 4 (amd64)
※Receiving Debian 10 LTS security upgrades
Hardware: HP Pavilion DV6-7010 (1400 MHz, 6 GB)
Formerly user TheRealMaestro: æsc is the best letter.

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2022-12-27, 02:25

It only affects armhf and arm64 on Debian. i386 and amd64 should otherwise be fine.

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mæstro
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Mæstro » 2022-12-27, 18:27

Has Pusser then built Pale Moon 31·4·2 for Debian 10 amd64 after all? No such upgrade has appeared for me, but I have got others since 20 Ⅻ. I am beginning to suspect the problem is on my side.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2022-12-27, 22:24

TheRealMaestro wrote:
2022-12-27, 18:27
Has Pusser then built Pale Moon 31·4·2 for Debian 10 amd64 after all? No such upgrade has appeared for me, but I have got others since 20 Ⅻ. I am beginning to suspect the problem is on my side.
Well, I do have the arm versions automatically building without jxl for now, so I think the issue may be on your end. I'm trying now to see if we can get jxl to build on arm platforms. I may have to try a special version for Ubuntu 18.04 amd64 until its EOL April 30, 2023, since it fails to build.

What do you see with "apt policy palemoon"? You should be seeing the 31.4.2 in one of these repos:

https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... r/palemoon

https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... 3/palemoon

Looks like Ubuntu 18.04's gcc-7.4 errors out when try to build highway on that platform. They do have gcc-8 available in their repo, though.

[  965s] /usr/src/packages/BUILD/platform/media/highway/src/hwy/ops/x86_512-inl.h:832:44: error: cannot convert 'const Raw {aka const __vector(8) double}' to '__m512 {aka __vector(16) float}' for argument '1' to '__m512d _mm512_abs_pd(__m512)'
[  965s]    return Vec512<double>{_mm512_abs_pd(v.raw)};
[  965s]                                             ^

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2022-12-27, 23:09

I just added Ubuntu 22.10 Kinetic repositories by manually editing the metainfo xml for my accounts. Like some sort of caveman or something. There won't be any 32-bit "i386" packages, since that no longer exists on the OBS for 22.10, apparently.

Also did a git pull of the master palemoon code and uploaded it for a test build.

Mæstro
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Mæstro » 2022-12-28, 00:32

stevepusser wrote:
2022-12-27, 22:24
What do you see with "apt policy palemoon"? You should be seeing the 31.4.2 in one of these repos:
My output was:

palemoon:
  Installiert:           31.4.1-1.gtk2
  Installationskandidat: 31.4.1-1.gtk2
  Versionstabelle:
 *** 31.4.1-1.gtk2 100
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
After this, I had run the terminal commands for Debian 10, which had returned without errors. On running Mint Upgrade next to see whether the package appears, I get the following error message:
Nicht alle Paketquellenindizes konnten heruntergeladen werden
Die Anwendungspaketquelle steht möglicherweise nicht mehr zur Verfügung oder ist aufgrund von Netzwerkproblemen nicht erreichbar. Sofern für diese Anwendungspaketquelle noch eine ältere Paketliste verfügbar ist, wird diese verwendet. Anderenfalls wird diese Anwendungspaketquelle gänzlich ignoriert. Bitte überprüfen Sie Ihre Netzwerkverbindung und vergewissern Sie sich ebenfalls, dass die Adresse der Anwendungspaketquelle korrekt in den Einstellungen eingetragen ist.
GPG-Fehler: http://download.opensuse.org/repositori ... /Debian_10 InRelease: Die folgenden Signaturen konnten nicht überprüft werden, weil ihr öffentlicher Schlüssel nicht verfügbar ist: NO_PUBKEY 0FAD31CA8719FCE4Das Depot »http://download.opensuse.org/repositori ... /Debian_10 InRelease« ist nicht signiert.
My own translation into English (I do not know how the official English translation reads; my system language is German):
Not all package source indices could be downloaded:
The application package source is possibly no longer available, or is inaccessible due to network problems. Insofar as there is still an older package list (?) available for this application package source, it will be used. In any other case, this application package source will be completely ignored. Please check your network connection and make certain in any case that the application package source’s address has been entered correctly into the settings.
GPG Error: (link) InRelease: The following signatures could not be examined, for their public key is not available: the depot (—) is not signed.
After this, I had gone into Mint’s package source manager, deleted Opensuse from thence, downloaded the current Debian 10 amd64 deb and installed it as root. Mint Upgrade no longer produces the error described above, and the output after this is:

Installiert:           31.4.2-1.gtk2
  Installationskandidat: 31.4.2-1.gtk2
  Versionstabelle:
 *** 31.4.2-1.gtk2 100
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
Nevertheless, there are no additional package sources listed in my package source GUI, meaning I suspect the problem would return with the next round of upgrades.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2022-12-28, 02:22

You may have to try adding the key for my Debian 10 repo again. You must be using the LMDE version of Mint, based on Debian, instead of the standard Mint release, which needs to be using the Ubuntu builds.

The new git pull from master did build a successful package for armhf (aka armv7l) with jxl on Debian 11, so I'll push an update for everyone tomorrow after checking to make sure I don't get any other weird build issues with it--besides the arm64 libxul linking failure I now get when that builds almost finishes. I don't know how much in demand arm64 builds are, though.

[ 9723s] /usr/bin/ld: /usr/src/packages/BUILD/obj-aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu/toolkit/library/../../media/highway/targets.o: in function `hwy::SupportedTargets()':
[ 9723s] ./obj-aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu/media/highway/./platform/media/highway/src/hwy/targets.cc:296: undefined reference to `getauxval'
[ 9723s] /usr/bin/ld: /usr/src/packages/BUILD/obj-aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu/toolkit/library/../../media/highway/targets.o: in function `DetectTargets':
[ 9723s] ./obj-aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu/media/highway/./platform/media/highway/src/hwy/targets.cc:316: undefined reference to `getauxval'
[ 9723s] /usr/bin/ld: libxul.so: hidden symbol `getauxval' isn't defined
[ 9723s] /usr/bin/ld: final link failed: bad value
[ 9723s] collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
[ 9723s] make[7]: *** [/usr/src/packages/BUILD/platform/config/rules.mk:773: libxul.so] Error 1

Mæstro
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Mæstro » 2022-12-28, 03:28

Aye, I use LMDE, as my signature indicates. Pale Moon upgrades had always gone well for me until I needed reinstall my OS two weeks ago. How would I add your Debian 10 repository’s key? I do not recall having needed to do this when first installing your .deb in 2020.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-12-28, 08:16

stevepusser wrote:
2022-12-28, 02:22
I'll push an update for everyone tomorrow after checking to make sure I don't get any other weird build issues with it
Please don't push updates built from master as releases, Steve. master is -not- stable and not aligned with the feature set release has (especially now) and I want to avoid confusion.
People can have a little patience, yes? JPEG-XL will come in a more full capacity with the next dev release (might even make it a milestone 32 because of other changes...)
It's fine if you want to toss out a test version from the jxl 0.7 branch with only those changes to armhf, but that too should not be marked as a release version.
stevepusser wrote:
arm64 libxul linking failure
That is in third-party code. You may have to poke Google/highway devs about that.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2022-12-28, 09:13

hwy/targets.cc seems to be missing an #include directive for <sys/auxv.h> which defines getauxval(3). It does include the header if it detects ARM, but not for ARM64:

#if HWY_ARCH_X86
#include <xmmintrin.h>
#if HWY_COMPILER_MSVC
#include <intrin.h>
#else  // !HWY_COMPILER_MSVC
#include <cpuid.h>
#endif  // HWY_COMPILER_MSVC

#elif HWY_ARCH_ARM && HWY_OS_LINUX
#include <asm/hwcap.h>
#include <sys/auxv.h>
#endif  // HWY_ARCH_*

merry mimas

random
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by random » 2022-12-28, 10:19

Moonchild wrote:
2022-12-28, 08:16
People can have a little patience, yes? JPEG-XL will come in a more full capacity with the next dev release (might even make it a milestone 32 because of other changes...)
I was excited that it now builds with jxl on Arm, but as jpeg-xl is not required by any website, there is indeed no need to rush things. I'm already very happy that Palemoon runs on the Raspberry Pi (while Firefox and Chrome get less and less usable on the slower / RAM-limited devices).

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2022-12-28, 19:30

OK, I'll wait for the next release. I built the test package in the same repo as the standard gtk2 to save some time and the OBS's resources setting up a new one, but no one will see it with the publish flag disabled.
but that too should not be marked as a release version.
It's versioned as 31.4.2+git20221227, which is how Debian and MX usually version packages that are git pulls after releases. But no one will see it unless I switch on the publish tab. For MX, we have a testing repository I could put it, since the MX 21 standard builds go into our main repo, since they almost always patch security issues.

jobbautista, OK, fixing the arm64 build looks really simple--hopefully, that include can be pushed into master before the next release.
TheRealMaestro wrote:
2022-12-28, 03:28
Aye, I use LMDE, as my signature indicates. Pale Moon upgrades had always gone well for me until I needed reinstall my OS two weeks ago. How would I add your Debian 10 repository’s key? I do not recall having needed to do this when first installing your .deb in 2020.
The instructions include adding the repository's apt security key. It must have been added along the line somewhere if updates used to work. The need for a key can be disabled, but this is not advised. You also don't need a key if you just download a deb file and install that.

The instructions to add the key for Debian 10's GTK 2 version are:

echo 'deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/stevenpusser/Debian_10/ /' | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/home:stevenpusser.list

curl -fsSL https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:stevenpusser/Debian_10/Release.key | gpg --dearmor | sudo tee /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/home_stevenpusser.gpg > /dev/null

Mæstro
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Mæstro » 2022-12-28, 22:23

Pasting those instructions into the terminal returns no errors, but when I run Mint Upgrade again, I get the same error message about package source indices as I have described above. I repeat my translation into English here:
Not all package source indices could be downloaded:
The application package source is possibly no longer available, or is inaccessible due to network problems. Insofar as there is still an older package list (?) available for this application package source, it will be used. In any other case, this application package source will be completely ignored. Please check your network connection and make certain in any case that the application package source’s address has been entered correctly into the settings.
GPG Error: http://download.opensuse.org/repositori ... /Debian_10 InRelease: The following signatures could not be examined, for their public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 0FAD31CA8719FCE4 the depot ‘http://download.opensuse.org/repositori ... /Debian_10 InRelease’ is not signed.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2022-12-29, 20:13

Well, let's get the key file "Release.key" manually to make sure you have it. Copy and paste this into your browser address bar and hopefully it will download the file directly; if not, right-click the link and choose "Save Link As..".

https://download.opensuse.org/repositor ... elease.key

Mæstro
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Mæstro » 2022-12-29, 20:27

The link works as intended. After downloading the key, I had opened Mint’s repository manager (Anwendungspaketquellen, Application Package Sources, in German) and added the key, clicking the prompt within to refresh APT. To test, I have used the refresh button in Mint Upgrade again, and this time, it has checked your repository, which listed as ready (fertig) in Mint Upgrade’s dropdown menu (it had appeared before as fehlgeschlagen, aborted), without any error message. While I will watch carefully on the next Pale Moon release, I believe this has solved my problem. Thank you!

tower
New to the forum
New to the forum

Unread post by tower » 2023-01-01, 20:03

stevepusser wrote:
I don't know how much in demand arm64 builds are, though.
I use it for my Raspberry Pi 4B. It's not as fast as Chromium, but it's usable when I overclock the board. There aren't any other options for privacy/security browsers that I'm aware of. I appreciate the support.