youtube video restarts and later freezes

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
cartel
Lunatic
Lunatic

youtube video restarts and later freezes

Unread post by cartel » 2024-05-25, 21:09

Operating system:7
Browser version:32.5.2
32-bit or 64-bit browser?:64
Problem URL:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F0q27Cm4iQ
Browser theme (if not default):
Installed add-ons:ubo
Installed plugins: (about:plugins):

If possible, please include the output of help->troubleshooting information (as text):
**PASTE troubleshooting information here**
Never had an issue but the last couple weeks the video plays for about 5 seconds then restarts from the beginning. then the video will freeze but the audio keeps playing. could be 7 minutes in could be 15, random.
Seems to do it only when signed in for the restarting.
just curious if anyone else is seeing this as I know google is retarded and theres no fixing that.
thanks
ImageImage

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: youtube video restarts and later frezzes

Unread post by Moonchild » 2024-05-25, 21:33

They did recently change something to try and push ads at arbitrary time stamps (e.g. when pulling a tab back out of sleep) so that's probably related. I can't say that I've noticed issues with videos restarting outright, though.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

andyprough
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by andyprough » 2024-05-26, 03:21

cartel wrote:
2024-05-25, 21:09
You should get updated to Pale Moon version 33.1.0 if at all possible - there are a number of improvements since 32.5.2 which could help.

Also, there is an improved version of uBlock Origin available - see the github link to it in the first post in this thread - viewtopic.php?f=46&t=31050#p250858

If you install this updated version of uBo, you'll want to go to the uBlock settings dashboard ...
uBosettings.jpg
uBosettings.jpg (7.64 KiB) Viewed 902 times
... and go to the "Filters list" tab, and 1) "Purge all filters" and then 2) "Update now"
uBofilters.jpg
This will get you using all the latest uBlock filters, which should hopefully work better with youtube.

@Moonchild - if this becomes an issue you may want to consider linking to @UCyborg's new uBlock version instead of justoff's old version, which is getting quite dated now and is likely to cause problems on youtube if anywhere due to Google always fighting against the ad blockers. I haven't seen anyone report any bugs with this new version after 1 1/2 months in service. It's been working great for me on multiple machines.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2024-05-26, 04:08

andyprough wrote:
2024-05-26, 03:21
if this becomes an issue you may want to consider linking to @UCyborg's new uBlock version instead of justoff's old version
Where is this link you speak of?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

andyprough
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by andyprough » 2024-05-26, 04:32

Moonchild wrote:
2024-05-26, 04:08
Where is this link you speak of?
Currently the Pale Moon Addons page is linking to justoff's old github version of uBlock Origin, on the Extensions: Privacy & Security page -
https://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/ ... -security/
The "uBlock Origin (Legacy) [External]" add-on at the bottom of the page links to justoff's 3-year-old version on gorhill's github page:
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock-for-f ... y/releases

I'm proposing changing this to at least link to UCyborg's github for the updated uBlock version - https://github.com/UCyborg/uBlock-for-f ... y/releases
If not just outright giving UCyborg his own add-on page for his version.
If that's possible. I'm hoping gorhill wouldn't have to sign off on it, but if so then it might not be as easy of a process as I'm thinking.

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2024-05-26, 08:56

The mentioned YT link works fine even with a fresh profile (no extensions).
Tested with Pale Moon 33.1.0 64-bit/Win7.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2024-05-26, 09:54

@ cartel

I have no problems viewing the video you posted. It plays fine. No problems with audio and no freezing. And I am still using the "old" YouTube 1.16.4.30 version which is enabled for YouTube. I am also not signed into YouTube.

I am blocking cookies for YouTube as well as blocking pop-ups for YouTube.

At this time I am using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 33.1.0 running in 64 bit linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.3 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2024-05-26, 10:13

andyprough wrote:
2024-05-26, 04:32
I'm proposing changing this to at least link to UCyborg's github for the updated uBlock version - https://github.com/UCyborg/uBlock-for-f ... y/releases
If not just outright giving UCyborg his own add-on page for his version.
I'd happily give him the extension to maintain on the add-ons site but he doesn't seem to have registered yet. So, I'll just edit the external, instead.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2024-05-26, 12:23

andyprough wrote:
2024-05-26, 04:32
Off-topic:
The only reason I do not use UCyborg's 1.16.6b1 version of UBO is because I think the small letter "b" denotes beta software. I am not one of those who experiments with beta software because if something goes wrong with it, I cannot fix it on my own.

And I have a suspicion I am not the only one who feels this way.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.3 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

andyprough
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by andyprough » 2024-05-26, 13:59

Moonchild wrote:
2024-05-26, 10:13
I'd happily give him the extension to maintain on the add-ons site but he doesn't seem to have registered yet. So, I'll just edit the external, instead.
That works, thanks!

cartel
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by cartel » 2024-05-30, 08:01

andyprough wrote:
2024-05-26, 03:21
cartel wrote:
2024-05-25, 21:09
You should get updated to Pale Moon version 33.1.0 if at all possible - there are a number of improvements since 32.5.2 which could help.

Also, there is an improved version of uBlock Origin available - see the github link to it in the first post in this thread - viewtopic.php?f=46&t=31050#p250858

If you install this updated version of uBo, you'll want to go to the uBlock settings dashboard ...
uBosettings.jpg

... and go to the "Filters list" tab, and 1) "Purge all filters" and then 2) "Update now"
uBofilters.jpg

This will get you using all the latest uBlock filters, which should hopefully work better with youtube.

@Moonchild - if this becomes an issue you may want to consider linking to @UCyborg's new uBlock version instead of justoff's old version, which is getting quite dated now and is likely to cause problems on youtube if anywhere due to Google always fighting against the ad blockers. I haven't seen anyone report any bugs with this new version after 1 1/2 months in service. It's been working great for me on multiple machines.
thanks I seen that but I just add any lists I need with the custom list option.
https://filterlists.com/ that shows all the lists.

Also I cant upgrade because I need noscript.
I tried umatrix and it just sucks. uMatrix has no development anymore either. It took me like 20 minutes get to set up 1 website and I still wasnt happy. I dont have time for that
ImageImage

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2024-05-30, 08:56

cartel wrote:
2024-05-30, 08:01
Also I cant upgrade because I need noscript.
You shouldn't be asking for any help at all if you're using NoScript. And well duh, of course uMatrix is obsolete, given how long you've been around here how have you not heard of the very much maintained fork eMatrix?
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2024-05-30, 09:35

moonbat wrote:
2024-05-30, 08:56
very much maintained fork eMatrix?
Off-topic:
It's funny because the "very much maintenance" is simply changing the copyright date every January or so.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2024-05-30, 10:34

We cannot support your setup. sorry.