How to run this?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
redmoon3003

How to run this?

Unread post by redmoon3003 » 2022-11-15, 19:33

Operating system:
Browser version:
32-bit or 64-bit browser?:
Problem URL:
Browser theme (if not default):
Installed add-ons:
Installed plugins: (about:plugins):

If possible, please include the output of help->troubleshooting information (as text):
**PASTE troubleshooting information here**
Bad news.

I downloaded palemoon-27.1.1.en-US.linux-i686.tar.bz2 ( because I needed 32 bit version)
https://archive.palemoon.org/palemoon/27.x/27.1.1/

How I run this?

Are bunch of files but from none you can install/launch

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: How to run this?

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2022-11-15, 21:48

redmoon3003 wrote:
2022-11-15, 19:33
[I downloaded palemoon-27.1.1.en-US.linux-i686.tar.bz2 ( because I needed 32 bit version)
How I run this?
version 27 is really old.

For the rest, are you familiar with basic Linux commands like tar ? If not read man tar
And then follow instructions in http://linux.palemoon.org/help/installation/ (tuning them for your Linux and WM flavour)
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-11-15, 22:28

While we no longer build i686 mainline binaries, the latest prebuilt version available is 28.16.0 on the archive server.
http://archive.palemoon.org/palemoon/28.x/28.16.0/

If you really have no opportunity to either run 64-bit Linux or build your own binaries from source, then you could use that version but it is strongly discouraged as there are many fixed bugs (security and otherwise) since then.

Suggestions in order of decreasing desirability:
  1. Run a 64-bit operating system. 64-bit processors have been a thing for a very very long time and if your hardware is 64-bit capable you really should be running a 64-bit OS.
  2. Build Pale Moon from source on your OS. This may be too much of a leap if you are having issues understanding how to run from the tarball, but ask someone local who is versed in Linux for help and you may just get it done :)
  3. Use the old binary I pointed you to. Please do consider the 2 options above for a better permanent solution.
  4. Use a different browser that is included in your Linux operating system.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2022-11-16, 11:55

Alternatively you can use stevepusser's builds if you're on a Debian-based distro. It will integrate with your system's apt package manager well. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11466&start=700

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2022-11-16, 19:46

That's why your original post requested information on your OS, so we could help you. Leaving it blank helps nobody.

Some other distros also host their own Pale Moon packages, and there are also some other volunteers doing their own palemoon or newmoon builds, but most won't be 32-bit.

Waiting for any info at all about your distro....

Drugwash
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Drugwash » 2022-11-17, 10:09

redmoon3003 wrote:
How I run this?
It is possible that the main file doesn't have the executable bit set, so you should try to check that and set it if necessary.
In your file manager of choice right-click the palemoon file in the main browser folder, choose Properties and there verify - and set - it as executable for your user (and optionally for your group). Make sure you apply the setting before closing that dialog.

After that it would be advisable to first run that executable through a terminal (open a Terminal in that folder and run ./palemoon) just in case there still are any errors, such as missing dependencies or whatever. If that is the case then you should check with your package manager (Synaptic?) and install any missing dependencies if available. Otherwise create a launcher/shortcut to the executable and place it on your desktop or in any panel/docker of your choice, for easy access.

As stevepusser said above it would've been helpful if you posted the required info about your system so we could provide a more specific help.
Last edited by Drugwash on 2022-11-17, 14:47, edited 1 time in total.

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2022-11-17, 12:14

Drugwash wrote:
2022-11-17, 10:09
It is possible that the main file doen't have the executable bit set
I doubt this occurs if it is un-tarred from the tar file, which sets all proper permissions
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

Drugwash
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Drugwash » 2022-11-17, 12:31

Lucio Chiappetti wrote:
2022-11-17, 12:14
Drugwash wrote:
I doubt this occurs if it is un-tarred from the tar file, which sets all proper permissions
That is correct in theory but we don't know precisely how the OP unpacked the archive and where, what OS they are running, what are their user permissions etc. So there is an admittedly small and unlikely possibility that the file does not have the proper permissions, and it would be best to first check that before going further to other assumptions. At least that is my personal reasoning when dealing with such things. ;)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-11-17, 14:38

Since the OP has been active on the forum today but decided not to reply, I think we should really leave it up to them to fill in the blanks here, first, instead of continuing to speculate. :)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Drugwash
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Drugwash » 2022-11-17, 14:51

Fair, for now.
Hopefully other users with same/similar problem would find this topic before jumping directly to posting.
I always think of that regardless of whether the OP comes back with a "solved" or "thank you", or not. ;)

redmoon3003

Unread post by redmoon3003 » 2022-11-18, 00:17

Lucio Chiappetti wrote:
2022-11-15, 21:48
redmoon3003 wrote:
[I downloaded palemoon-27.1.1.en-US.linux-i686.tar.bz2 ( because I needed 32 bit version)
How I run this?
version 27 is really old.

For the rest, are you familiar with basic Linux commands like tar ? If not read man tar
And then follow instructions in http://linux.palemoon.org/help/installation/ (tuning them for your Linux and WM flavour)

When I switched to linux I went and learned the basic commands, but I haven't needed to install anything in 4-5 years, so I will have to learn everything again.
I'm running 4-6 browsers with last update from 2016-2018 and works really great, but are here and there websites that gives me that "OH NOO, your browser is too old, upgrade to bla bla" and won't let me visit website. What I did to some was to open console and remove that, but I had to do it for each page I click, lol.

Moonchild wrote:
2022-11-15, 22:28
While we no longer build i686 mainline binaries, the latest prebuilt version available is 28.16.0 on the archive server.
http://archive.palemoon.org/palemoon/28.x/28.16.0/

If you really have no opportunity to either run 64-bit Linux or build your own binaries from source, then you could use that version but it is strongly discouraged as there are many fixed bugs (security and otherwise) since then.

Suggestions in order of decreasing desirability:
  1. Run a 64-bit operating system. 64-bit processors have been a thing for a very very long time and if your hardware is 64-bit capable you really should be running a 64-bit OS.
  2. Build Pale Moon from source on your OS. This may be too much of a leap if you are having issues understanding how to run from the tarball, but ask someone local who is versed in Linux for help and you may just get it done :)
  3. Use the old binary I pointed you to. Please do consider the 2 options above for a better permanent solution.
  4. Use a different browser that is included in your Linux operating system.

Let's be real, you can't switch from 32 to 64 by pressing a button, takes data backup and other things.
I will try 28 then.

jobbautista9 wrote:
2022-11-16, 11:55
Alternatively you can use stevepusser's builds if you're on a Debian-based distro. It will integrate with your system's apt package manager well. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11466&start=700

I will check that, I have ubuntu, I see they talk there about it.
stevepusser wrote:
2022-11-16, 19:46
That's why your original post requested information on your OS, so we could help you. Leaving it blank helps nobody.

Some other distros also host their own Pale Moon packages, and there are also some other volunteers doing their own palemoon or newmoon builds, but most won't be 32-bit.

Waiting for any info at all about your distro....

I was writing that with battery being 0%, lol
Drugwash wrote:
redmoon3003 wrote:
How I run this?
It is possible that the main file doesn't have the executable bit set, so you should try to check that and set it if necessary.
In your file manager of choice right-click the palemoon file in the main browser folder, choose Properties and there verify - and set - it as executable for your user (and optionally for your group). Make sure you apply the setting before closing that dialog.

After that it would be advisable to first run that executable through a terminal (open a Terminal in that folder and run ./palemoon) just in case there still are any errors, such as missing dependencies or whatever. If that is the case then you should check with your package manager (Synaptic?) and install any missing dependencies if available. Otherwise create a launcher/shortcut to the executable and place it on your desktop or in any panel/docker of your choice, for easy access.

As stevepusser said above it would've been helpful if you posted the required info about your system so we could provide a more specific help.

I just 2x clicked it and it opened like a normal .rar file.
I have wine app which allows windows apps to be run and pn other hand, with right click I see option to open every .exe file like it's a rar, seeing all the files inside.
Lucio Chiappetti wrote:
2022-11-17, 12:14
Drugwash wrote:

Back when I installed my apps years ago, I remember doing most of them from terminal, but some were just 2x click and I will have a button to click install, that was I all needed to do.

I don't have permissions to edit the main post.

Operating system: ubuntu for i386
Browser version: -
32-bit or 64-bit browser?: 32
Problem URL: -
Browser theme (if not default): -
Installed add-ons: -
Installed plugins: (about:plugins): -

I quick read your wiki page and I remember doing something similar

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-11-18, 01:11

Here's a tip - Don't quote the entire previous comment when replying. It makes your reply unnecessarily long and laborious to read. Click reply at the bottom and on the page where you type your reply, you can see previous comments listed below with a quote ["] button beside each one. Highlight the relevant portion of the thread you're replying to and click it and it will insert just that part. As an example, I've quoted just this line from your comment -
redmoon3003 wrote:
2022-11-18, 00:17
I will try 28 then.
Also if you're directly replying to the last comment there's no need to quote it when the context is obvious.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

redmoon3003

Unread post by redmoon3003 » 2022-12-09, 22:33

welp, I only waited this long because I thought someone gonna close this
and I could make a drama that I got no help, lol

(joking, I was actually too tired, too short on time)

here is what I did

1. downloaded the tar.bz2

2. copy path folder location (where is located the file)

3. open terminal type cd and paste the folder path

4. type tar xvjf myFileName.tar.bz2

5. Done, you can do it more by the book
from this link: https://sourcedigit.com/20839-extract-i ... es-ubuntu/

is really simple, but sometimes you're exhausted and don't want to try something new.

PS: in your tutorial is so much info, that a newbie could get intimidated by it.
http://linux.palemoon.org/help/installation/
Here is an example: most people don't even know to locate the "My Pictures" folder in their PC,
they just have it on shortcuts links. Trust me, I've been helping so many people with brutal basic things.

Thank u to everyone who worked in making this browser

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by andyprough » 2022-12-10, 06:08

redmoon3003 wrote:
2022-12-09, 22:33
here is what I did

1. downloaded the tar.bz2

2. copy path folder location (where is located the file)

3. open terminal type cd and paste the folder path

4. type tar xvjf myFileName.tar.bz2
Great job!
redmoon3003 wrote:
2022-12-09, 22:33
Here is an example: most people don't even know to locate the "My Pictures" folder in their PC,
they just have it on shortcuts links. Trust me, I've been helping so many people with brutal basic things.
Those people aren't installing tarballs onto their Linux computers, so the instructions wouldn't be for them anyway. Someone like you who figured out how to get it unpacked and working should be able to muscle through those instructions on how to get the binary and the icons linked in your system, if that's what you want to do.

redmoon3003

Unread post by redmoon3003 » 2022-12-15, 20:58

andyprough wrote:
2022-12-10, 06:08

Great job!
I appreciate your positive thoughts for me.

Leave this here if someone may need it:

if you download tar.xz

then do same steps, just instead of tar xif, type:

#1 copy path folder location (where is located the file)

#2 open terminal type cd and paste the folder path

#3 type:
tar -xJf MyFileNameee.tar.xz

example:
tar -xJf palemoon-28.16.0.linux-i686.tar.xz

My side hustle is social media manager for small business and I have to be online 24/7. Was really a pain to log in and log off to switch accounts. This browser really came in handy and I'm so grateful. Shoutout to my boy ajlkn from carrd.co for sending me here

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-12-15, 21:31

It would just help to read the tar manual with "man tar"
which would tell you the various flags for types of compression filters to use: z for gz, j for bz2, J for xz, etc.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2022-12-16, 01:25

Off-topic:
Jeesh--there are many GUI front ends for extracting and creating archives available in Ubuntu. Maybe you have file-roller? But we don't know what desktop you're using or what tools you have installed, so the terminal instructions are the lowest common denominator and always will work, even though weird for newbies.

As for myself--I'm Rob... :shock: