Security certificate permissions

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
j_thorusen
Moongazer
Moongazer

Security certificate permissions

Unread post by j_thorusen » 2022-10-02, 02:00

Operating system = Windows 7:
Browser version = 31.3.0.1:
32-bit:
Problem URL=https://www.iloveknk.com/Support/Tutori ... ations.pdf:
Browser theme (if not default):
Installed add-ons:
Installed plugins: (about:plugins):

I gave the URL above a permission even though it came back as an untrusted site. I found out what I wanted to know. I would now like to revoke the "exception" that I added. Pale moon does not seem to have an option for a one-time exception and I cannot find a way to delete an exception once granted. How can I restore optimum security by deleting this exception / permission?

Thanks,
Jim T.
KB6GM

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Security certificate permissions

Unread post by vannilla » 2022-10-02, 08:58

Not the actual solution, but the dialog to add the exception has a checkbox that can be unchecked to make the exception temporary.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-10-02, 10:49

You can prevent permanent exceptions the way vannilla stated

To remove a previously-added permanent exception, go to Preferences -> Advanced -> Certificated -> button "View Certificates" to open the certificate manager. Then go to the "Servers" tab, find the listed exception for www.iloveknk.com, select and click delete.

FTR, I had no issue downloading from that URL and the certificate seems to be in order.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

LAR Grizzly
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by LAR Grizzly » 2022-10-03, 17:54

vannilla wrote:
2022-10-02, 08:58
Not the actual solution, but the dialog to add the exception has a checkbox that can be unchecked to make the exception temporary.
Is there a setting that can be changed to always have that box unchecked by default?
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.1, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2022-10-03, 19:20

You could open the site where you add an exception in a new private window.
In private browsing mode the exception is temporary and won't be saved.

j_thorusen
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by j_thorusen » 2022-10-11, 03:11

Greetings, All!

Thanks for the info. It appears I was in "private" browsing mode by default so all of those certificates were non-permanent. So... problem solved. However, I went through all of my certificates and deleted everything I didn't recognize. This didn't create any insurmountable problems, as I was able to go back and install certificates for my most frequently visited sites. However, I killed the ability of eBay's web page to display correctly. Any thoughts on what I did? Even reseting the preferences to default does not enable eBay to display correctly.

Thanks,
Jim T.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2022-10-11, 07:24

j_thorusen wrote:
2022-10-11, 03:11
However, I killed the ability of eBay's web page to display correctly. Any thoughts on what I did?
It's probably unrelated to this matter, but in any case make a dedicated thread about this and provide any error message you see in the console.
Do not use this thread for eBay, make a new one.

j_thorusen
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by j_thorusen » 2022-10-11, 09:09

Thank You.

I will do as you suggest and generate a new thread.

Regards,
Jim T.
KB6GM