Hvere should I post feature requests and bug reports?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
jb_wisemo
Moonbather
Moonbather

Hvere should I post feature requests and bug reports?

Unread post by jb_wisemo » 2021-12-02, 23:29

I don't know where to post requests for feature enhancements and report bugs, since the repositories are private. This would be a nice FAQ entry.

Last time I tried to post about a desirable feature, the threads got rapidly locked without meaningful discussion, so somehow I was wrong about where and how to post that suggestion. So I don't know where to post my future/next (unrelated) suggestions.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Hvere should I post feature requests and bug reports?

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-12-03, 00:09

Feature enhancements for the most part are better addressed with extensions because they detract from the core purpose of the browser - to display web pages. The powerful XUL extension mechanism has been retained for this reason, which is unlike FIrefox who chose to get rid of it and bloat the browser core with Pocket and telemetry and what not, forcing features on people who don't need them.

Before suggesting an enhancement, look for an extension that already does the same thing and ask yourself whether it is something unique to your workflow or truly generic that everyone could benefit from. Adblockers, built in translation, bitcoin wallets, third party service integration are examples of bells and whistles other browsers add on due to only supporting web extensions that can do little more than alter webpages. An extension system is about user choice. What you think is absolutely essential for you may be of no use to someone else, and it makes no sense to force it on them by including it in the browser core. With extensions, people can pick and choose what enhancements they want for their browser on their own.
Off-topic:
Can't believe I have to explain the benefits of customization but here we are :coffee:
And with bugs - broken websites aren't necessarily bugs. There's the website compatibility board to report those, usually there are workarounds except for as yet unimplemented features like custom elements or the new regular expressions operators.

Neither are edge cases like the weirdos who are shocked and horrified that the browser becomes sluggish with hundreds of tabs kept open, or who run it on a potato level hardware configuration that's decades out of date.

Now that we have gotten these caveats out of the way, an actual bug would be consistently reproducible on a fresh, unmodified profile. If you're not sure whether something is a bug or working as intended - ask. The browser support forum is where you go for such issues that are explicitly related to the browser and not individual websites.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

jb_wisemo
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by jb_wisemo » 2021-12-03, 04:50

I didn't ask about extensions (this time), the question was where should people (myself included) ask about actual enhancements of existing core features?

However since you switched the subject, where does one discuss the development of specific future or current extensions?

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-12-03, 05:04

jb_wisemo wrote:
2021-12-02, 23:29
where to post requests for feature enhancements and report bugs
In the Browser Development board.

Before doing so though, please read these two sticky posts:
Please read before suggesting core features
and
Bug reports: Please read first!

jb_wisemo
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by jb_wisemo » 2021-12-03, 11:11

Thanks, and where should I post about desired / existing extensions?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-12-03, 15:01

jb_wisemo wrote:
2021-12-03, 11:11
Thanks, and where should I post about desired / existing extensions?
Look through the boards available and use your brain. It should be really obvious.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

jb_wisemo
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by jb_wisemo » 2021-12-05, 16:37

It is not obvious to me, and I have been punished for getting it wrong before.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-12-05, 18:12

Off-topic:
"punished"? Wow you must be very thin-skinned if that's how you experience it.
So, what are extensions, along with plugins and themes? Find out that term and you'll know which board to post in.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite