update wiped out passwords

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
dimestorecandy

update wiped out passwords

Unread post by dimestorecandy » 2021-04-13, 01:47

Yahoo Mail stopped me from viewing my mail because I wasn't using an approved browser. I entered using "Old Mail" mode just to get to an email I needed.
I then went to Palemoon Update and updated to the latest version. After a Palemoon restart I discovered I no longer had any stored logins or passwords.
What gives?
P.S. I had to create an account here to post this and discovered the Captcha tool wont work on Palemoon, so I had to register to use THIS forum using Chrome instead.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: update wiped out passwords

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-04-13, 06:02

If you updated from an ancient version after keeping auto update disabled for so long and didnt' backup your profile before updating, well, you asked for it. The password store has changed formats and there are threads here on how to upgrade in stages to ensure the passwords get migrated. Why the devil does anyone have to disable updates in the first place? This isn't fucking Firefox that breaks things every 2 weeks or resets your preferences.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-04-13, 06:05

"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2021-04-13, 13:57

dimestorecandy wrote:
2021-04-13, 01:47
the Captcha tool wont work on Palemoon
I haven't had to use it in a while, but that sounds bogus to me.

Last that I checked, it worked just fine.
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

dimestorecandy

Unread post by dimestorecandy » 2021-04-13, 15:27

It's true. I tried to fill out the registration form twice and it wouldn't let me complete it.
Then I filled out the registration in Chrome and sure enough -
THAT form had a Captcha that asked me to check every picture with a motorcycle in it.
In Palemoon, no such Captcha ever appeared.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-04-13, 16:40

Then I'm guessing you are blocking the captcha with an extension.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite