SOLVED - PM v28.12 problems rendering pages with a specific Dept Store website Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

SOLVED - PM v28.12 problems rendering pages with a specific Dept Store website

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2020-08-12, 22:54

I'm getting tired of reminding my wife to use FF for the Khols dept store website ever since PMv28.12 (she's always asking what's wrong because I always have her use Pale Moon, like I do, but she forgets in the case of this websites she needs to use another browser, i.e. FF). So I thought I'd post the issue finally to see if there's something that can be done to solve the issue (and possibly determine why PMv28.12 started producing this issue that did not occur in the past).

Based on my tests as described below it appears the current Pale Moon version 28.12.0 has a problem rendering pages that was (is) not the case with the previous Pale Moon version 28.11.0.

The websites URL is Kohls department store: https://www.kohls.com/ (w/ a lot of moving parts).

I've tested both PM versions in Safe Mode.

Pale Moon 28.11 does NOT have the issue (described below) with hanging due to Unresponsive Script errors using the same website (linked above).

Pale Moon 28.12 DOES have persistent issues with this website hanging ("unresponsive" error in browser header) caused by two "Unresponsive Script" errors. And when I "stop" the Script Errors that occur (to prevent the hanging) then any further item images after doing this do not display on the websites pages. So the site is virtually useless in the current Pale Moon 28.12 build.

Confirmation regarding the issue would be appreciated (either/both using Pale Moon 28.12 that has the problem and/or using Pale Moon 28.11 [and before] that doesn't have the problem).

Is there anyway to deal with these issues with this website in Pale Moon 28.12.0? (i.e. a setting of some kind)

The two unresponsive Script Error examples that I get using Pale Moon 28.12.0 (if I "stop" them then PM becomes responsive - but images no longer display):
PIC-1 Script error problem.png
PIC-2 Script error problem.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2020-08-13, 07:23, edited 1 time in total.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

THX-1139
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: PM v28.12 problems rendering pages with a specific Dept Store website

Unread post by THX-1139 » 2020-08-13, 01:03

I am having no problems with kohls site, I did have allow it in eMatrix for the "add to cart" button to work but then it all worked fine; showed in
my cart and it looked like I could check out if I wanted but I have a store 2 blocks away from me (if I really want).

I have None of the issues described above.
Pale Moon 32.5.0 (64) Win7 pro (64) Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz-16 GB DDR3

"The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove they're not a robot."

"Man needs difficulties; they are necessary for health." ~Carl Jung

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2020-08-13, 01:38

@ Pallid Planetoid

I clicked on the Kohl's link you provided. The site opened up after about 1 second of time. I surfed on the site for awhile, went to different pages by clicking on the buttons (Backpacks, Tees). It never froze, hung and I didn't get any "unresponsive script" prompt.

At this time, I'm using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 28.12.0 running in 64 bit linux Mint 20 (Ulyana) Xfce. The only extensions I user are NoSquint and uBlock Origin with UBO enabled for the Kohl's site.

As far as I know, the problem is not with Pale Moon. The problem is on your end someplace which is something I know you don't want to hear.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2020-08-13, 01:47

Thanks very much for the feedback. :thumbup:

The only thing I didn't try is a "fresh" new profile (already tested in Save Mode").

I get the same issue as before (NOW W/ "Fresh" PROFILE) using Pale Moon 28.12 as illustrated in screen-shots 1-3 (after which once the scripts are stopped the website is then responsive but images fail to display at that point:PIC-1 the usual "Not Responding" banner error precedes the next two "Unresponsive Script" errors (PIC-2 and PIC-3) in the order below
PIC-1:
PIC-1 Persistent 'Not Responding' preceeds each 'Unresponsive Script' error.png
PIC-2:
PIC-2 First 'Unresponsive Scrip' error.png
PIC-3:
PIC-3 2nd 'Unresponsive Script' error.png

Anyone have ideas why I continue to have this issue unique to me using a "Fresh" profile?

... I'll try clearing cookies and cache... be right back... (Note: the problems occurs when searching the website btw)....

OK -- I cleared cookies for the website and cleared browser cache while still using the "fresh" new Profile and the Script errors didn't occur this time... I'll now check in my default Profile after once again clearing cookies and browser cache.

It appears that clearing cookies and clearing cache has likely solved my problems with this website (hopefully my positive results will remain consistent).

That's surprising to me that "Safe Mode" and "Fresh" profiles were of no consequence -- but clearing cookies and/or clearing browser cache appears to have done the trick -- knock-on-wood....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2020-08-13, 01:52

Thanks to both of you Kathuluforz and Night Wing for your feedback that led me to continue testing by eventually clearing cookies and cache which either one or the other or both apparently made the difference.

I'll have to keep in mind how much impact either of these to things can make in the future. :shock: (I didn't imagine doing either of these things would have fixed the kind of behavior involving "Unresponsive Scripts" that I was getting :think: -- Huh, so cookies and/or cache can impact scripts on a website... :problem:).
Off-topic:
I sure wish the USBank site issue was as easy to fix -- but I did already try both clearing cookies and cache many times but not so lucky in that case unfortunately. :thumbdown:

BookMark
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by BookMark » 2020-08-13, 05:09

Adding a "Me too" - 28.12 works OK for me also. It let me choose and save a store, which is a common place to have problems. The main page is open in another tab right now, and the little car is still driving across the screen.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-08-13, 07:06

The site has ads and 3rd party scripts up the wazoo - so could also be why it was responsive for me since everything is blocked by default.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX