USBank website totally unresponsive once logged-in

Users and developers helping users with technical Pale Moon issues (Windows and other non-Linux O.S.). Please direct questions about the Linux version to the appropriate Linux board.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only. The main focus here is on Pale Moon on Windows. Please direct your questions for Linux, Android and Mac to the dedicated boards.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in "technical chat"
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
van p
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: USBank website totally unresponsive once logged-in

Post by van p » 2020-07-31, 15:58

I just logged in again. It was slow logging in but otherwise worked pretty much like before.
Windows 10 Pro x64 v2004 8GB i5-4570 | Pale Moon v28.11.0 x64

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Post by Pallid Planetoid » 2020-07-31, 15:59

@ron_1 - have you contacted the bank about this in regards to Pale Moon?

It doesn't look like this issue will be resolved anytime soon, if at all, for Pale Moon.

So what I've been doing (since I really only want to use Pale Moon and this is the closest approach that can accomplish this for me) is I use THIS Pale Moon add-on that will provide a way to open the login page in Pale Moon which I can then right-click on the banks log-in page to use a choice of other browsers that all work for US Bank (I can then simply close the other browser and I'm back where I want to be -- Pale Moon ;))

I always use THIS add-on whenever these unfortunate issues occur in Pale Moon which I would suggest for you as well.
Screen-shot example of what you get with THIS invaluable Pale Moon add-on:
What THIS add-on does for you when issue arise in Pale  Moon like this.png
I have also used this approach for Citibank when Pale Moon has had issues with that bank in the past. As well as I currently use the add-on for the ATT issues discussed in THIS recent topic.
It's cool because I don't have to launch another browser but can still temporarily simply use another browser for these situations with Pale Moon just to deal with the specific case and return back to my browser of choice once again (all very easy to deal with this way).

Oh -- so then you haven't been getting that overlay dialog asking to switch to paperless that I previously posted?
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Post by ron_1 » 2020-08-01, 02:05

Pallid Planetoid wrote:
2020-07-31, 15:59
@ron_1 - have you contacted the bank about this in regards to Pale Moon?
I tried to, but after I clicked the submit button I got an error page; also it said I'd receive a confirmation email after submitting, which I did not get. So I'm assuming it did not go through. I didn't have the time to try again today (very busy moving from an apartment to a house). I'll try again when I have the time.

What's curious to me is that the site still works for van p.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Post by Pallid Planetoid » 2020-08-01, 02:31

ron_1 wrote:
2020-08-01, 02:05
.... What's curious to me is that the site still works for van p.
Yes, I find that odd too. It actually works fairly well but not totally ideal for van p. as I understand it. It's strange -- in my case when I log-in I see all of my data for my account -- but nothing at all on the page works beyond this including the exit button. It seems to me like it's not a full page load because while all my data appears to be complete the location of the pointer is not in the correct position on the page with Pale Moon and Basilisk like it is with all other browsers.

Where the pointer is in Pale Moon when the page loads (off the end of the banner):
Where starting point is in Pale Moon and Basilisk as if not fully loaded.png
Where the starting point is with all other browsers like it should be when the page loads (as it used to also be with Pale Moon):
Where starting point is in other browsers like it should be.png
It's as if something with the page load breaks using Pale Moon and Basilisk unfortunately as reflected by the position of the starting pointer which is presumably why nothing on the page responds in any way.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

van p
Lunatic
Lunatic

Post by van p » 2020-08-01, 04:02

Pallid Planetoid, FWIW, when my page first comes up, the pointer up into the blue banner is also offset to the right. As I click around, the pointer moves to the correct positions, but as I click, depending on exactly what I do, the pointer can get offset to the right again. Whether this helps or just confuses matters further, I don't know.
Windows 10 Pro x64 v2004 8GB i5-4570 | Pale Moon v28.11.0 x64

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Post by Pallid Planetoid » 2020-08-01, 05:03

^ Thank you very much for your feedback - you have some control over your web page as contrasted to what I have which is absolutely no response to anything I do on the entire page. It's as if in my case the page is a totally non-interactive page with nothing to all to dialog with. Clicking, hovering -- anything I do produces absolutely nothing anywhere throughout the page. And this is using the browser in Safe Mode as well.

And this has only been the case since around 7-14-20 -- prior to that I had absolutely no problems whatsoever anywhere on any page for USBank. Everything worked flawlessly prior to 7-14-20.

Hmm, let me check to see if I have control of the horizontal scroll-bar -- I suspect, and as I recall, I do since that function is independent of the web-page. Yep -- I can scroll-down and it appears part of the page is missing toward the bottom. But even the links at the bottom of the page (in the "connection secured" section) do not respond at all.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Post by Pallid Planetoid » 2020-08-01, 05:30

Oh and I should add a fresh Profile doesn't help as I get the same result with this as well. I will get the redirect the first time to the dialog page to enter a cell number but once I respond to that (press "Later" button) then that redirect stops and in any case I'm back to where I am with my default Profile - not response from the entire web-page. So it's sure a mystery to me what's going on with USBank in my case. :crazy:

And I would add this is with this login URL (which is the one I use): https://onlinebanking.usbank.com/Auth/Login -- that logs me in but then zero response once logged-in.

Interestingly other login URL's (that I presume are the same USBank) I've tried off the web i.e.: https://cashsolutions.usbank.com/Portal ... /Home.aspx give me a login error (UID or PWD incorrect error -- which is not the case.)

markd89
Moongazer
Moongazer

Post by markd89 » 2020-08-01, 15:52

I have this issue also.

markd89
Moongazer
Moongazer

Post by markd89 » 2020-08-01, 15:54

Pallid Planetoid wrote:
2020-07-31, 15:59
I always use THIS add-on whenever these unfortunate issues occur in Pale Moon which I would suggest for you as well.
I'm running on Linux, not Windows. Is there a way to hack this add-on to "Open in Firefox"?

moonbat
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Post by moonbat » 2020-08-01, 16:27

markd89 wrote:
2020-08-01, 15:54
I'm running on Linux, not Windows. Is there a way to hack this add-on to "Open in Firefox"?
What's Windows got to do with it? Works fine on Linux and there is nothing to 'hack'. You specify the path to the executable of the browser you want, and it autodetects Firefox if that's installed via package.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 20 Xfce x64 on HP i5 laptop with 12 GB RAM, always latest versions of PM & Basilisk unless specified.

markd89
Moongazer
Moongazer

Post by markd89 » 2020-08-01, 16:42

moonbat wrote:
2020-08-01, 16:27
markd89 wrote:
What's Windows got to do with it? Works fine on Linux and there is nothing to 'hack'. You specify the path to the executable of the browser you want, and it autodetects Firefox if that's installed via package.
Thanks Moonbat. I assumed it was Windows only because of the name and the examples.

So I installed it into PM, which worked.

However when I put the path for Firefox, into the preferences i.e. /usr/bin/firefox-esr and click Close, that path is not saved. I click Preferences again and it's blank.

What am I missing?

Thanks again!

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Post by Pallid Planetoid » 2020-08-01, 16:52

Enter optional browsers thus (path pointing to the browser executable):
Setting Open with extension.png
Click "OK".

markd89
Moongazer
Moongazer

Post by markd89 » 2020-08-01, 17:05

Thanks!

On Linux, here's what it looks like on my system. There's a close button but no OK button. When I click Close it's not saved.

Does anyone have this working on Linux?

pm4.png

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Post by Pallid Planetoid » 2020-08-01, 17:18

It appears the extension has a problem on Linux (the absence of the "OK" button and w/ only a "Close", which would presumably be equivalent to the "Cancel" button I've got, is evidently keeping you from saving your Settings). You might want to post this issue in the Browser extensions board for the developer riiis to look at.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Post by ron_1 » 2020-08-01, 17:49

There's probably a reason why it's marked as Windows only on its download page.

EDIT
On further thought, I'd guess the reason why the setting won't stick in Linux is because the file(s) where the settings are stored are in a read-only folder, i.e., you probably would have to manually edit said file as root. But, this is just a guess.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Post by Pallid Planetoid » 2020-08-01, 18:06

If it is not a "read-only" problem (which is a good point and worth looking at) then your point about "Windows only" is noteworthy and is something I missed (or forgot about) on the extension description.

The extensions description does explicitly say "use only in Windows" -- plain as day quote: "Open With Edge, IE, Chrome, and More" is an extension designed for use only in Windows." -- so that's plain enough all alone in the second paragraph of the description (see link below) ;)

Extension Link: Open With Edge, IE, Chrome, and More.
Off-topic:
A lot of people complain about Windows -- and I can readily say to a large extent including me!! But I always recall what my app developer boss has said in the past (which as I recall was in response to my incessant complaints about Windows at the time) quote: "I've had more than a couple people (in PP support) recently tell me that they are willing and going to switch to Linux or whatever from Windows. I'm guessing these are people who have never actually used Linux and, personally, I think they're in for a rude awakening if they ever do."

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Post by coffeebreak » 2020-08-01, 20:19

markd89 wrote:
Is there a way to hack this add-on to "Open in Firefox"?
I personally use Open With.
I use it on Windows, but its GitHub wiki indicates that it also supports Linux.
Pale Moon support was added with version 6.8.

Anything from v6.8.1 to 6.8.6 should work fine (I use v6.8.5, but most people probably use 6.8.6), after which it becomes a webextension.

To install it, download the source for your chosen version from Releases, then extract the contents and recompress the appropriate items (they're listed in the file xpi.list) to a zipped folder, then change the zipped folder's file extension to .xpi and voila.

Or in the alternative, the xpi is available through the Classic Add-ons Archive.
This is a searchable catalog to an archive of xul extensions held in cloud storage.

To use CAA, it must itself be installed as a browser extension. Once installed, the catalog's UI is modeled on classic AMO, and can be searched and installed from, or provide downloads, same as if it were a website - though the catalog (not the archive itself) lives locally in your browser profile.

markd89
Moongazer
Moongazer

Post by markd89 » 2020-08-01, 21:42

@Coffeebreak, thanks so much!!

I have 6.85 working nicely :-)

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Post by Pallid Planetoid » 2020-08-01, 23:20

I used "Open With 6.8.6" legacy add-on myself but stopped using it when the add-on that does this written and maintained for Pale Moon became available. Question: Won't there be a problem at some point when these AMO add-ons are no longer allowed to be used with Pale Moon?

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Post by coffeebreak » 2020-08-02, 01:22

Pallid Planetoid wrote:
2020-08-01, 23:20
Won't there be a problem at some point when these AMO add-ons are no longer allowed to be used with Pale Moon?
Go back and read. ;)
coffeebreak wrote:
2020-08-01, 20:19
Pale Moon support was added with version 6.8.