How to RELOAD TABS instead of showing cached version?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Punction12

How to RELOAD TABS instead of showing cached version?

Unread post by Punction12 » 2018-12-13, 11:37

Hello everybody,

after years of using Pale Moon portable which i've continously updated, i now installed a fresh x64 installation-version. I have many tabs open, and when i start Pale Moon, all tabs except the last selected one, are grayed out.

The problem is: when i select a (grayed out) tab, Pale Moon shows me the last cached version of the site instead of reloading the site as Pale Moon did in my old config.

Is there an option "refreshing unloaded tabs automatically" when clicking them?
FYI: I am using Tab Utilities Phoenix (used TUP in portable version aswell).

Many thanks in advance

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: How to RELOAD TABS instead of showing cached version?

Unread post by therube » 2018-12-13, 12:35

many
How many is many?

(Backup first.)

Anyhow, as a start, clear your cache.

Set the Pref, browser.cache.check_doc_frequency to '1'.

Control+PageDown through your entire set of tabs.
Hopefully that will refresh them as you get page through each.

After you have done that, reset the browser.cache.check_doc_frequency Pref back to its default, '3'.

And that said, (FF) Session Restore has long had issues (& to this day) with, at times, loading stale or otherwise tabs.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-12-13, 13:37

Sorry therube but you're wrong suggesting that pref. That would influence all page loads which is not what the user would want.
Remember that Pale Moon is not Firefox and we do have a number of additional controls -- just drawing on the MozillaZine KB will leave you short in knowledge ;)

Instead, use the pref browser.sessionstore.cache_behavior and set it to 1
Info about the pref: http://xref.palemoon.org/uxp-trunk/sour ... oon.js#855
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-12-13, 13:42, edited 2 times in total.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Punction12

Unread post by Punction12 » 2018-12-13, 15:29

Many thanks Moonchild, your help works like charm. I'm now playing a bit around, which setting would more fit to me, 1 or 2 (bypass cache completely).

In my daily use of Pale Moon, the sites i open always need to be refreshed. Is there a good way to disable more caching information and getting more free RAM on the other side? To be honest, since your mega upgrade to v28 Pale Moon needs a lot of RAM when open many tabs (100+^^) - but is still the best browser in universe :thumbup:

tooshorttoolong
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by tooshorttoolong » 2018-12-13, 19:51

The way I fixed this issue is by setting the disk cache size to 0 (Preferences -> Advanced -> Network -> Cached web content -> Override automatic cache management -> 0.)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-12-13, 23:11

tooshorttoolong wrote:The way I fixed this issue is by setting the disk cache size to 0 (Preferences -> Advanced -> Network -> Cached web content -> Override automatic cache management -> 0.)
Absolutely not recommended to do this. Disk cache is an essential mechanism for browsing, especially in this day and age.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-12-13, 23:12

Punction12 wrote:Many thanks Moonchild, your help works like charm. I'm now playing a bit around, which setting would more fit to me, 1 or 2 (bypass cache completely).
I strongly recommend you use setting 1 in favor of setting 2. Setting 2 is only really useful if the sites you visit incorrectly set long expiration times on page elements that are dynamic, which is pretty rare. In all other cases it will just be a waste of bandwidth and time re-downloading static elements again.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-12-13, 23:13, edited 1 time in total.