Palemoon Portable NOT portable

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Palemoon Portable NOT portable

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-10-22, 18:37

Moonchild wrote:FTR: the website has also been updated to jump directly to the portable heading from the menu now, to prevent confusion.

Thank you.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-10-22, 18:39

infti wrote:So it appears that Palemoon-Portable.exe invokes Palemoon.exe within the portable environment. Is that correct? If so, that appears to be the root of the problem I have been experiencing.

Yes, that is correct.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-10-22, 21:15

infti wrote:So it appears that Palemoon-Portable.exe invokes Palemoon.exe within the portable environment. Is that correct? If so, that appears to be the root of the problem I have been experiencing.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20705#p154845
:P
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

infti
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by infti » 2018-10-24, 02:13

I believe I found the session for NON-portable Palemoon, but I can't find the session for Palemoon Portable. Can somebody tell me the location (path)?

Thanks again.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-10-24, 05:07

infti wrote:I believe I found the session for NON-portable Palemoon, but I can't find the session for Palemoon Portable. Can somebody tell me the location (path)?

Thanks again.
The location of the user profile of the portable version is (logically) contained within the portable browser itself; otherwise it would defeat the point of being portable ;)
It's under the "User" folder in your portable installation.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-10-24, 05:45

infti wrote:but I can't find the session for Palemoon Portable. Can somebody tell me the location (path)?

See previous page, viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20705#p154865:
coffeebreak wrote:all files related to sessions will be in the portable version's self-contained profile, at: \User\Palemoon\Profiles\Default

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2019-05-16, 08:56

Yesterday I tried to update manually PM-unstable -portable (installation on a different drive than PM -stable) but in this time I had PM-stable open and Windows did not let me install the unstable version because "some file are in use". Just after PM-stable we're closed the installation of PM -unstable- portable was possible. From what I know these 2 versions should behave like 2 separate browsers, I mean no things in common, then why this behavior?
Windows 10 pro /64 (version 1809)
PM last/64

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-05-16, 10:45

The staging mechanism is complex due to having to avoid using protected directories, and the portable uses the same mechanism as installed versions. Although there should be no interference, there is no guarantee that it won't have an issue updating the portable with the internal updater if you already have an installed version running.
This is one of the reasons why this is NOT the recommended way of updating any portable version.

To update the portable, the preferred way is to download and extract a new portable version to an empty folder and copy over the /Backups, /Downloads and /User folder from the old one. Alternatively you can extract a new portable version on top of the old one, overwriting files.

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2019-05-16, 11:03

Moonchild wrote:
2019-05-16, 10:45
Alternatively you can extract a new portable version on top of the old one, overwriting files.
Exactly what I did. But because PM-stable was open Windows says "files are in use and cannot be replaced/deleted" and that is strange because it reffers to files from the old version of PM-unstable wich are in their own directory on a different partition.
PM last/64

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-05-16, 11:27

Ah, I know what you ran into.
This has nothing to do with the internal updater, or with Pale Moon interfering with its portable self.

The issue is very simple: palemoon-portable.exe stays running while a palemoon.exe process is running. This is because it needs to do some post-run work after the pale moon binary shuts down.
This means, in turn, that palemoon-portable.exe will remain running as long as *any* version of Pale Moon is open on the system. I know this is a potential weakness in the portable shell but I haven't gotten around to looking at this in more detail.

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2019-05-16, 17:59

Moonchild wrote:
2019-05-16, 11:27
Ah, I know what you ran into.
This has nothing to do with the internal updater, or with Pale Moon interfering with its portable self.

The issue is very simple: palemoon-portable.exe stays running while a palemoon.exe process is running. This is because it needs to do some post-run work after the pale moon binary shuts down.
This means, in turn, that palemoon-portable.exe will remain running as long as *any* version of Pale Moon is open on the system. I know this is a potential weakness in the portable shell but I haven't gotten around to looking at this in more detail.
Thanks Moonchild!

I hope a redneck called NTP will see the answer.(he knows why)
PM last/64

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-05-16, 18:26

I know what now? Explain yourself.