"This Connection is Untrusted"

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
ghwolff

"This Connection is Untrusted"

Unread post by ghwolff » 2018-10-18, 18:52

Using PM 25.2.0 (which I understand is the latest workable version for Windows XP SP3). Problem since yesterday is that an unusually high number of the websites I go to (although not all) give me "This Connection is Untrusted". See screenshot attached. Even this PM forum address gave me the "untrusted connection"! Had to use Chrome browser to access the forum. How do I fix this? TIA.
Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: "This Connection is Untrusted"

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-10-18, 18:56

ghwolff wrote:How do I fix this?
Try running one of the Pale Moon forks that are maintained for XP.

Without knowing the details under "Technical details" on your error screen, the exact reason why it's untrusted isn't known here.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

ghwolff

Unread post by ghwolff » 2018-10-18, 19:38

Am attaching screenshot showing the details under "Technical Details".
Attachments
Clipboard02.jpg

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-10-18, 20:17

(Logged in & posting this with: XP SP3, PM 24.6.2. No problem.)

"This Connection is Untrusted" error message appears - What to do
Last edited by therube on 2018-10-18, 20:18, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-10-18, 20:50

If the error is "sec_error_untrusted_issuer" like you've shown, it's most likely your antivirus intercepting https requests to try and helpfully "filter" that traffic.
Please disable this kind of web scanning. It's a bad idea and breaks end-to-end encryption and authenticity from web browsers.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-10-18, 20:50, edited 2 times in total.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

ghwolff

Unread post by ghwolff » 2018-10-19, 15:32

Thanks Rube for the link. I tried several of the suggestions, but none fixed the problem. What is strange is that "This Connection is Untrusted" only presents itself in PaleMoon. No other browser has this problem (Firefox, Chrome, Opera). Moonchild says the problem is with the antivirus or security program, but you have to ask yourself why do the other browsers work without the problem??

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-10-19, 15:36

ghwolff wrote:but you have to ask yourself why do the other browsers work without the problem??
Because the AV will have to install a wildcard certificate to be known to browsers for their interception and making browsers implicitly trust them, and the AV will likely NOT do this for Pale Moon because it isn't a "mainstream" browser.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-10-19, 15:38, edited 1 time in total.

ghwolff

Unread post by ghwolff » 2018-10-20, 13:37

For those who might have the same problem -- solved it by "upgrading" to version 26.5.0. Problem is gone, as well as some others too.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-10-22, 15:25

(I was going to mention 26.5.0, but when I looked, it said "Atom" & I wasn't sure if that was official PM or not.

Anyhow it was mentioned, "Try running one of the Pale Moon forks that are maintained for XP", which presumably would be more up to date [?] then 26.5 [& as I haven't really kept up with these XP forks, not sure how it may be more up to date or how it might differ?].

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-10-22, 21:11

therube: 26.5.0 is indeed older than the XP forks which are up to the latest 27.* version last I checked.