Pale Moon 27.6.0 breaks Citibank login Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Pale Moon 27.6.0 breaks Citibank login

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-12, 08:06

Thanks, I'll make the appropriate change.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

kduncan5

Unread post by kduncan5 » 2017-12-20, 15:27

Still not fixed in 27.6.2

I modified the override as instructed and it works correctly now, just letting you know it's not fixed yet.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-12-20, 15:49

kduncan5 wrote:Still not fixed in 27.6.2

I modified the override as instructed and it works correctly now, just letting you know it's not fixed yet.
This "override" is required for the site to work correctly. This IS the "fix". The bank will very likely not make any changes on their end so that's all there is to using this bank on-line as Citibank has required some kind of "override" to be done for some time (on a side note: I continually have to keep a number of exceptions in NoScript for this site to work which is just the way it is for Citibank).
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

LAR Grizzly
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by LAR Grizzly » 2017-12-20, 17:37

Strange, I can log into my Citi Bank account, without problems, using the default useragent for citi.com in v27.6.2
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-12-20, 18:16

LAR Grizzly wrote:

Strange, I can log into my Citi Bank account, without problems, using the default useragent for citi.com in v27.6.2
You are correct --- The default was updated as of 27.6.2 to the current:
general.useragent.override.citi.com set to the default value: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0 (Pale Moon) so as long as a user had not modified the setting nothing would need to be changed as of PM (27.6.2)....

I am presuming that kduncan5 had modified the UA Override for Citibank from the default but it was not modified at that time to FFv57 (since it was not needed at that time) so in that event if the setting is not the default then the modified value is retained (even when updates occur) hence takes priority over the default value so whatever the UA Override that kduncan5 had was retained and hence needed to be changed to the current required default for FFv57. (Note FYI: user modified pref settings remain intact when a Pale Moon update is installed)
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

kduncan5

Unread post by kduncan5 » 2018-06-18, 15:02

Citi is at it again. I modified the 2 entries in the override string to 57, but it was a no go. Searched for FF's latest version (60), changed the 2 entries to 60, still no go. Don't know what to do next. Had to use IE to get into my account, I hate IE; slower than snail shit.

Current string is:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0 (Pale Moon)
Last edited by kduncan5 on 2018-06-18, 15:08, edited 3 times in total.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-06-18, 15:50

kduncan5 wrote:Citi is at it again. I modified the 2 entries in the override string to 57, but it was a no go. Searched for FF's latest version (60), changed the 2 entries to 60, still no go. Don't know what to do next. Had to use IE to get into my account, I hate IE; slower than snail shit.

Current string is:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0 (Pale Moon)
Citibank has worked for me without any problems since PM 27.6.2 using the following UA Overrides:
This default setting: general.useragent.override.citi.com set to Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0 (Pale Moon)
This added setting: general.useragent.override.city-data.com set to Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0

I have not been sure whether the second UA Override for Citibank is absolutely necessary -- but have not wanted to rock-the-boat testing this out..... ;) (I use NoScript's XSS which requires exceptions for many banks and more importantly I also use the NS ABE security as well which needs occasional rule-set adjustments from time to time due to Citibanks penchant to frequently do suspicious redirects -- so once I get Citibank working I don't like to fool with it...)

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-06-18, 17:01

Did you try without the (Pale Moon) part?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0
You never know what might or might not bug a particular site.
Likewise, if there are associated domains, as pointed out above with citi, you may need to add overrides for them also.

For testing (I suppose is preferable to leaving it enabled all the time?), there is a global override:

general.useragent.override

& if a site works with that, but does not work with a site specific override, that might point out that there are additional site specific domains that you may need to add.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-06-18, 17:06

kduncan5 wrote:Citi is at it again....
What is the URL that you use for the login page?

I happen to use: https://online.citi.com/US/JPS/portal/Index.do?Promo_ID=SPBL (as you can see, I like clean/simple login pages w/out a lot of distraction myself ;)).... you may be using a different URL -- if the one you are using is different then you can post it and so it can be checked out to see if it works the same as the URL I use....

Btw, what do you get when you attempt to login?
Off-topic:
(Off-topic note: I will get this NS ABE error using this link via the forum: Request {GET https://online.citi.com/US/JPS/portal/I ... mo_ID=SPBL <<< viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17274&p=143647#p143647 - 6} filtered by ABE: <online.citi.com> Deny because I have Citibank using an ABE rule-set to specifically allow the login to work within my start.me start-page [which is the only way I use the login URL] -- that said, this will not be an issue for anyone else unless the XSS and/or ABE protection is used in NS in which case XSS exceptions and ABE rule-sets are necessary for Citibank)
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-06-18, 17:22, edited 2 times in total.

kduncan5

Unread post by kduncan5 » 2018-06-18, 21:22

I was using the newer login page citi provided: https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/citi.action

I tried yours, my login works just fine, and that's with my updated string (60). Was going to ask where you found that login page but it doesn't really matter, I'm changing my login URL as soon as we're done experimenting here.

The message I get when trying to log in using my link:

"I am sorry ...Our Server generated some error while processing your request.

Please contact the administrator.

Sorry for the inconvenience."

I've been getting that message for over a week.
Last edited by kduncan5 on 2018-06-18, 21:31, edited 2 times in total.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-06-19, 10:36

I happen to use: https://online.citi.com/US/JPS/portal/I ... mo_ID=SPBL (as you can see, I like clean/simple login pages w/out a lot of distraction myself ;))
Definitely agree on the clean/simple pages. (I do the similar with bankofamerica.)
Without a valid logon, that page appears it will work.

So, PMR, did you try logging in using the link KD provided, does that work for you?
(KD's link is the link pointed to from the main citi webpage, https://online.citi.com/US/login.do.)

Confirmed.
And I wonder why that is? Happens with PM & SeaMonkey, even with spoofed useragents.

kduncan5

Unread post by kduncan5 » 2018-06-19, 10:55

Went ahead and changed my links to the one PMR uses, verified it still works fine, even with my updated string:

Thanks for that link! Citi needs to quit screwing around, it's the only online banking/credit card site that does that.

I wish these sites would allow alternate browsers. I dislike IE, FF is too slow, and Chrome is too invasive and a hog, for my tastes.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-06-19, 11:51

kduncan5 wrote:I was using the newer login page citi provided: https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/citi.action

I tried yours, my login works just fine, and that's with my updated string (60). Was going to ask where you found that login page but it doesn't really matter, I'm changing my login URL as soon as we're done experimenting here.

I've been getting that message for over a week.
I get the same error as you do using your URL --- that is because you are using the "credit cards" link which will not log-in properly....
.... notice in your URL the following: "https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/citi.action" -- this is the problem (it is not a login page for Citibank but rather the banks credit card page).

The normal login URL which will also work (not the abbreviated one I use which does not have all the advertising clutter) is the following: https://online.citi.com/US/login.do, notice the "login.do" and that it does not have "credit-cards" in the URL. I think what you had done at some point is copy the "credit cards" URL for citibank and saved it as a bookmark to be used as a login URL (which again will give you the error you get and I get as well).

So if you prefer the more elaborate (busy) login page (probably most people use) that looks like this:
normal login page for citibank.png
then feel free to use this login which also works since it is a login URL for Citibank: https://online.citi.com/US/login.do... I think what you had done at some point is click on the "Credit Cards" tab (click on screen-shot to enlarge so you can see the "Credit Cards" tab - first tab in the screen-shot) and then you probably saved the URL as a login bookmark which resulted in your login page issue.

By the way -- either login should work with the Pale Moon default UA Override (the "version 60" change you made to the Citibank Useragent Override is not required).

Oh and it's no inconvenience -- I'm glad I could help. ;)

Addendum: Just noticed your post therube above -- all your questions are answered in this post (at least should be). :D

Second Addendum: I have stuck-out the above because therube has correctly pointed out that the URL you were using does work in other browsers (i.e. Basilisk, Opera, Chrome, IE11 to name a few) -- however using the same URL you were using I do get the same error you get using Firefox 47.0.2 (so my explanation was not entirely incorrect regarding the URL).
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-06-19, 14:16, edited 4 times in total.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-06-19, 12:08

Off-topic:
therube wrote:
I happen to use: https://online.citi.com/US/JPS/portal/I ... mo_ID=SPBL (as you can see, I like clean/simple login pages w/out a lot of distraction myself ;))
Definitely agree on the clean/simple pages. (I do the similar with bankofamerica.)....
Yep, I use this login URL for Bank of America: https://secure.bankofamerica.com/login/sign-in/signOnV2Screen.go (nice and clean) and this one for Union: https://sso.unionbank.com/obc/forms/login.fcc to get the same result.... etc....

Oh and your other comment/questions are covered in my previous post (I had noticed your post after I posted and commented on this at the end of that post).... ;) The login issue is because the URL that was being used was not actually a login page for Citibank (there is a more busy page than the URL I personally use that most people probably do use which is the one I posted and you had posted as well -- either valid login page will work with the default PM UA Override btw)

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-06-19, 13:24

Well https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/citi.action is the default when you click the Credit Cards link on the main citi page.
And https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/citi.action does work in other browsers to log you in - but not in PM (27).

Yep, I use this login URL for Bank of America: https://secure.bankofamerica.com/login/ ... 2Screen.go (nice and clean)
Yep, that's the one.
(And then, I generally disable JavaScript too - after logging in. Though online billpay does require it.)
Last edited by therube on 2018-06-19, 13:25, edited 1 time in total.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-06-19, 14:12

^ I hadn't tested the URL in other browsers -- sure enough other browsers (i.e. Basilisk, Opera, Chrome and IE11) -- however interestingly, I do get this same error:
FF.png
when using my 47.0.2 version of Firefox. I have edited my original post to reflect the additional information you have provided. ;)

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-06-20, 04:28

The page you show is what you get when things are not working.

Basilisk should be working.
(I have no actual [valid] login, but at least using bogus un/pw, you're sent to an "Incorrect Information Entered, Try again page", which would be expected.)

Try Basilisk in a new, clean Profile & see what you get.

Oh, never mind that.
You left out the word, work.
sure enough other browsers (i.e. Basilisk, Opera, Chrome and IE11)
sure enough other browsers WORK (i.e. Basilisk, Opera, Chrome and IE11)
Last edited by therube on 2018-06-20, 04:31, edited 1 time in total.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-06-20, 04:45

^ Very astute of you! -- you ARE absolutely correct -- I DID leave out that the word "work" -- I was confused by your post until I read mine and realized what I did (unfortunately it's too late to edit the post to add the word for the sake of clarity)

So I'll say here --- for the record (since I can't edit it) I meant to say:
Pale Moon Rising wrote:^ I hadn't tested the URL in other browsers -- sure enough other browsers (i.e. Basilisk, Opera, Chrome and IE11) WORKED -- however interestingly, I do get this same error:
FF.png
when using my 47.0.2 version of Firefox. I have edited my original post to reflect the additional information you have provided. ;)
... only FF had the problem -- but could be due to the older version (I'm not interested in updating FF further -- never really use the browser)....

zzz242
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by zzz242 » 2018-07-05, 18:02

Pale Moon Rising wrote:Currently in Pale Moon 27.6.0 general.useragent.override.citi.com using Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0 (Pale Moon) logs in successfully. :thumbup:

Currently in Pale Moon 27.6.0 general.useragent.override.citi.com using the default Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:3.4) Goanna/20170101 PaleMoon/27.6.0 renders this when logging in :thumbdown::
I checked my Citibank login, and whereas it works fine in FF, in PM it produces the following error page:
I am sorry ...Our Server generated some error while processing your request.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
I then tried the first change to the user agent mentioned here, but it had no effect; I still get the same error page. This is on PM 27.9.3.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-07-05, 18:43

Using general.useragent.override.citi.com using Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0 (Pale Moon) should work.

Try exiting/restarting Pale Moon

What URL are you using for your Citibank log-in page?

Try this URL to log-in: https://online.citi.com/US/JPS/portal/Index.do?Promo_ID=SPBL (works for me). ;)