How to print more lines per page and keep margins as is

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
SenDion

How to print more lines per page and keep margins as is

Unread post by SenDion » 2018-06-03, 23:16

Problem
Upon printing web pages, one finds that the font size is 16px or more. With such big font, the page barely fits 20 lines, as compared to typical 60-70 lines (produced by a typewriter). For instance, this page is printed out using 16px font. I found that setting the font size (for a paragraph text) to 10px does the job. How to accomplish this?

First try
I went to "Main menu : Tools : Preferences : Content : Fonts & Colors" and made the following settings:
fonts.png
However, it didn't do any good. For some reason, the CSS style of the web page overrides my settings. Is it an expected behaviour?

Second try
I used an element inspector to manually disable the font size in the cascading style
css_style.png
This worked out well. However, such method seems to be too cumbersome: one has to tweak the cascading style of every web page that he/she desires to print out.

Third try
Printing at 50% scale seems to achieve the goal. However, it leaves big side margins: 2.3" instead of 0.5". Consequently, about 80 characters are fit per line instead of 140-150.

Question
Is there a better way to fit more lines per page? "Better" means simpler and/or easier, while keeping margins as specified in "Main menu : Page setup : Margins & Header/Footer".
Last edited by SenDion on 2018-06-04, 02:56, edited 8 times in total.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: How to fit more lines per page

Unread post by ron_1 » 2018-06-04, 00:44

Do you know you can adjust the size of the printout by going to the Print Preview option under File in the toolbar?

SenDion

Re: How to fit more lines per page

Unread post by SenDion » 2018-06-04, 02:51

helloimustbegoing wrote:Do you know you can adjust the size of the printout by going to the Print Preview option under File in the toolbar?
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried this method. It doesn't look too bad. At the same time, the result is not impressive either (see the "third try" in the original post). For some reason, the typesetting doesn't fill the space between the left and right margins specified in "Main menu : Page setup : Margins & Header/Footer".

Can CSS overrride these margins? May be I am overlooking the effect of CSS on the typesetting?
Last edited by SenDion on 2018-06-04, 02:57, edited 1 time in total.

Galaxy
Moonbather
Moonbather

Re: How to print more lines per page and keep margins as is

Unread post by Galaxy » 2018-06-05, 19:46

I went to the website you referenced and changed the font size to 10px. Refer to the image below. Is that close to what you are looking for?
Attachments
Image.PNG

SenDion

Unread post by SenDion » 2018-06-17, 20:38

Galaxy wrote:I went to the website you referenced and changed the font size to 10px. Refer to the image below. Is that close to what you are looking for?
Yes. Your result looks impressive. Please, let me know how to reproduce it on my side. I am getting (see the "first try" in the original post):
print_preview.png
Last edited by SenDion on 2018-06-17, 21:25, edited 1 time in total.

Galaxy
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Galaxy » 2018-06-18, 01:05

SenDion wrote:Yes. Your result looks impressive. Please, let me know how to reproduce it on my side. I am getting (see the "first try" in the original post):
I am using Print Edit as already suggested by back2themoon. Get it here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... /versions/

There's a good detailed description on how to use it here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... rint-edit/

Once you have Print Edit installed, click on the Print Edit icon in the toolbar, then highlight the text you want to change, click on Format. Then you need to access the properties list for formatting text. I posted a response here on how to do that: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=19386&p=143596#p143596

The only change I made to the text in the properties list is changing the text size to 10px as shown in the image below. Then I clicked Apply, then OK. Click on Preview, then print it out if everything looks okay. I usually use 'Shrink to Fit' for the Print Preview scale, which is what I used in this case.

You can also use Print Edit to delete text or images and ads that you don't want.
Attachments
Image1.jpg