Minor problems after updating from v26 to v27

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
PalleP
Fanatic
Fanatic

Minor problems after updating from v26 to v27

Unread post by PalleP » 2018-02-14, 18:33

Hi all users of the last usable browser left :wave:

I have until a few weeks ago used the last v26 version, because I really didn't want to throw the classic download window into the bin. This function was actually what made me switch from Firefox to Pale Moon.
But now v26 is gone and v27.7.2 is installed (clean install) and Download Window is added as extension. This addon is very close to get the real function back, but misses a few details to be perfect.
I have had problems with the font rendering in v27 (thin and rather unreadable characters) but it became much better after I have unchecked "Enable downloadable fonts" in Pale Moon Commander.
But the fonts are still rendering better (my opinion) in v26. I can compare because I have saved a portable v26.
My main problem now is that the small button symbols (or whatever they are) on many sites do not render correctly. They render correctly in Pale Moon v26 and other browsers I have tried.
Since I am not able to explain what those elements are, I will give examples:
On Ebay the stars are replaced with strange doodle on the page where you leave feedback.
Another example is on the Orio website (spareparts for your fantastic Saab turbo). The magnifying glass in the search box is again a strange doodle:
ht**s://webshop-dk.saabparts.com/new-products

I have searched here and can't find anyone reporting this issue, but maybe I make a wrong search because I don't know what the doodles are.
I hope someone can see the doodles and therefore come with a more serious issue description :lol:

Thehandyman1957

Re: Minor problems after updating from v26 to v27

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-02-14, 23:44

Can't seem to repeat this.
Screenshot - 2_14_2018 , 4_42_03 PM.png
I'm using W7 64 bit with the latest 64 bit PM

What add on's are you using, what operating system and video card?

PalleP
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by PalleP » 2018-02-15, 17:48

Yes, sorry, I forgot the details.
Win7 32bit, AMD Radeon HD5450, add-ons as seen on screenshot.
I have tried in safe-mode; same result, without hardware acceleration; same result, different comp modes; same result, portable version; same result, PM v26.5; no problem.

PalleP
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by PalleP » 2018-02-15, 19:08

Well, I now found the culprit.
This happens because I unchecked the "enable downloadable fonts" checkbox for the earlier mentioned reason.
I guess I will then just have to live with the dull and pale fonts I then get on certain websites, when this function is on :(
But if anyone knows how to cure this, I will be happy to hear how.
Last edited by PalleP on 2018-02-15, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-02-16, 20:10

You should enable downloadable fonts for the modern web. There is no "cure" for this because it's not an error. It is a user choice to block these fonts, and as a result not get icon font glyphs.

Although I can understand people not liking the fact that some large providers are often used to supply these fonts (e.g. Google), it is still an inherent decision by the website designers to use these fonts and a requirement for a browser to download them.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

PalleP
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by PalleP » 2018-02-16, 21:18

Yes, I can see that it is necessary to enable them althhough I don't know what they are. But the reason why I disabled them was the pale (not black) and dull fonts (text) i get on some sites.
I did not have this problem in v.26.x so I guess these downloadable fonts are also used to write text, and that v26.x simply replaced them with better fonts.
Well, don't bother, this is an absolutely minor thing that I will have to live with. Other people with better eyes than mine will probably not notice it.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-02-16, 21:40

Oh, it's absolutely correct that "trendy" font choices are regularly not the most legible ones (often opting for tall, thin fonts with less contrast). v26 didn't have as extensive support for types of font formats or unicode fonts in use, so it's quite possible that it would fall back to a system font already on a number of sites (the same effect you get with disallowing downloadable fonts altogether).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2018-02-17, 06:04

Heard that webdevelopers consider making a site produce much traffic as possible, because it gives to the site better google search rank, that is sound mind explanation of why do they stuff to the site many fonts, useless scripts and socsial buttons.

Is it possible to put fonts on the local host and make sites get fonts from it instead, save you much traffic and prevent googlefonts tracking too?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-02-17, 08:02

Of course it is. However that has little if anything to do with page rank or w/e.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-02-17, 08:03, edited 1 time in total.

DavidShah

Unread post by DavidShah » 2018-02-17, 19:34

Today I updated to 27.7.2 and now when I am opening the browser it loads and automatically crashes then when I retry to open it will not give any output. I'm on Win 7. Anyone else encountering the same after update how am i supposed to fix it guys?

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-02-18, 18:49

DavidShah wrote:Today I updated to 27.7.2 and now when I am opening the browser it loads and automatically crashes then when I retry to open it will not give any output. I'm on Win 7. Anyone else encountering the same after update how am i supposed to fix it guys?
Did you update from v26 to 27? If not, you really should start a new thread. You'll get a better response that way.

Also, we will need more information to help you.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=49

If you updated from 26 to 27, you need to start with a new profile as there
were issues with keeping v26 profile when updating to v27.
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=13804

DavidShah

Unread post by DavidShah » 2018-02-18, 19:42

Thehandyman1957 wrote:
DavidShah wrote:Today I updated to 27.7.2 and now when I am opening the browser it loads and automatically crashes then when I retry to open it will not give any output. I'm on Win 7. Anyone else encountering the same after update how am i supposed to fix it guys?
Did you update from v26 to 27? If not, you really should start a new thread. You'll get a better response that way.

Also, we will need more information to help you.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=49

If you updated from 26 to 27, you need to start with a new profile as there
were issues with keeping v26 profile when updating to v27.
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=13804
After resetting all user preferences to defaults from the recovery option I just got it resolved. Thanks for the solution :)

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-02-19, 02:10

Glad to hear it. :thumbup: