many little signs e.g. a magnifying glass in search field dont'show

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Bigo2
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

many little signs e.g. a magnifying glass in search field dont'show

Unread post by Bigo2 » 2018-01-16, 06:48

Hi - I'm not sure how to describe my problem - what is actually the common name for those little signs, like e.g. the little picture of magnifying glass in a search field, or those rating stars, or little arrows in various menus...?
When browsing, in some pages those little pictures do not display. Instead there are little oblong fields and inside there is something written like e.g. E8 and under could be 29 or 28 or 00...
A picture is worth a thousand words, so I have attached two of them: No.1 is showing the problem when using my current Pale Moon and the No.2 is showing how it should to be, that one is from my Comodo IceDragon.
Can you please let me know how to fix it? Thanks.
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: many little signs e.g. a magnifying glass in search field dont'show

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-01-16, 07:08

You need to allow downloadable fonts for those to work. By the looks of your screenshot, you are not, because the font displayed is a fallback font.
Without downloadable font support you cannot get the font icons many sites use.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Bigo2
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Bigo2 » 2018-01-16, 08:00

OK! Thanks Moonchild - in about:config the gfx.downloadable_fonts where set "false"... I don't know why - supposedly the default is "true". I did not do it!
Thanks.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-01-16, 08:37

Probably one of your extensions. some "security" extensions disable downloadable fonts (and subsequently break the web) out of some odd sense that it would mitigate a security issue :?:
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite