Trouble Acccessing Home Page

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
azra_medea

Trouble Acccessing Home Page

Unread post by azra_medea » 2017-10-20, 01:27

Greetings,

I am experiencing a strange issue when trying to load my home page on Pale Moon. I am getting the error "Problem loading page." This is the first time it's happening.

I appreciate any help.

Sincerely,

Azra

Operating system: Windows 10
Browser version: The latest version. (I have the same trouble trying to access the release notes page)
32-bit or 64-bit?: 64 bit
Problem URL: http://start.palemoon.org/
Theme: Main theme (I haven't changed it)
Installed extensions: none
Installed plugins: (about:plugins) none

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Trouble Acccessing Home Page

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-10-20, 01:32

Can you please provide the exact text displayed on the network error page, including "technical details"?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

azra_medea

Unread post by azra_medea » 2017-10-20, 02:06

I will try: It looks like this--

The connection was reset

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Pale Moon is permitted to access the Web.

And of course there is the -try again- button.
At the top it gives me the yellow sign with the ! and "problem loading page."

That is all that I can see. I really hope that is what you needed to help me.

Thank you so much!

Azra

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-10-20, 07:37

That problem URL: http://start.palemoon.org/ opens my start.me page successfully....

Do you have a start.me start-page account?
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-10-20, 08:03

Try rebooting your computer to see if this clears the problem.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-10-20, 10:34

http://start.palemoon.org redirects to https://palemoon.start.me at the cloud edge. Did you disable redirects somehow?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

azra_medea

Unread post by azra_medea » 2017-10-20, 22:18

Thank you,

My home or start page was all set up an working perfectly prior to the new release. I have rebooted my system a few times and restarted Pale Moon but this has not cleared the problem for me. The same thing and same exact error message happens when I try to pull up the first page (Pale Moon,) the release notes page or the F.A.Q. page as well, but luckily I can still get to the Pale Moon forum. This comes right up with no problems. Everything else gives me the same error as my home page which I miss terribly. I had it set up nicely. Now, I am just having to pull my organize bookmarks to get to everything I need to access. It works but its slow. :)

I really appreciate you all helping me trouble-shoot this. I love this browser. I hope I can get it to working right for me again.
Last edited by azra_medea on 2017-10-20, 22:31, edited 1 time in total.

azra_medea

Unread post by azra_medea » 2017-10-20, 22:21

P.S. Ah! Somehow I think the redirects got disabled because when I pull your link...my page comes up. I am not sure how this happened or how to correct it. Looking further...

If anyone can tell me how to fix those redirects I would really appreciate it. Maybe something happened when I updated.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-10-20, 23:12

azra_medea wrote: If anyone can tell me how to fix those redirects I would really appreciate it. Maybe something happened when I updated.
Go to Pale Moon "Options" > "General" tab, do you have this https://start.me/ entered as illustrated in the screen-shot:
start-page setting.png
Make sure it is exactly as shown (including the "s" https://start.me). If it does not start with https then enter the entire thing https://start.me/ and press the "OK" button to save.

You were starting out with an unsecure page and presumably getting redirected to a secure page which can sometimes be problematic, so by starting out with the secure page this might avoid the problem you are having. :think:

Post back your results. ;)

azra_medea

Unread post by azra_medea » 2017-10-20, 23:38

Thank you so much! That worked. Whew! :)

I appreciate you!

This is definitely my favorite (and only) browser for so many reasons.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-10-21, 00:46

Please make sure the URL is https://palemoon.start.me and not just https://start.me

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-10-21, 01:14

Moonchild wrote:Please make sure the URL is https://palemoon.start.me and not just https://start.me
Okay I changed mine (from what I've been doing up until now) to the above, but it still gets redirected to https://start.me/.... so is there a reason for adding the "palemoon." preceding the "start.me" in the URL since that part gets dropped in the redirect? (I have no problem adding this, just curious why? --- possibly the affiliation Pale Moon has with start.me and if so that's fine of course :thumbup:)

azra_medea

Unread post by azra_medea » 2017-10-21, 22:44

I just updated mine too.

Now there is one problem I am still having.

I can get to the my home page with no problems now, but sometimes when I try to click a news link from there, I get the connecting circle of doom. It never connects so I cannot get to the story. Occasionally, this also happens in Facebook. When someone posts a story or an article, I can't pull it up to read it. I thought this might be FB specific until I realized it also happens on certain news articles that I am trying to access from my homepage.

It doesn't happen on every link. This is also a problem that only began after the most recent update. Please advise, and thanks!
Last edited by azra_medea on 2017-10-21, 23:11, edited 1 time in total.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-10-21, 22:53

The question would be if the same links that have problems within the start.me page work better independent of the start.me page.... :think:

Post some of the links that have this problem so they can be tested to see if the problem is with the links or page linked or related in general to start.me page or is a specific issue unique on your end.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-10-22, 00:18

Pale Moon Rising wrote:
Moonchild wrote:Please make sure the URL is https://palemoon.start.me and not just https://start.me
Okay I changed mine (from what I've been doing up until now) to the above, but it still gets redirected to https://start.me/.... so is there a reason for adding the "palemoon." preceding the "start.me" in the URL since that part gets dropped in the redirect? (I have no problem adding this, just curious why? --- possibly the affiliation Pale Moon has with start.me and if so that's fine of course :thumbup:)
If I'm not mistaken, I think it has something to do with financial awards to PM but I could be wrong. :think:

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-10-22, 02:11

Thehandyman1957 wrote:.... If I'm not mistaken, I think it has something to do with financial awards to PM but I could be wrong. :think:
That's what I was wondering about too as far as something like that, which is fine as I'm all for it!! :thumbup:

azra_medea

Unread post by azra_medea » 2017-10-22, 03:17

Hmm, I am trying but my attempt to show this looks strange at best.

One example from FB is just a story I was trying to read about George Soros being banned in Austria: "The world’s youngest leader, newly-elected Sebastian Kurz, has informed George Soros that his Open Society Foundation has 28 days to cease and desist operations in Austria or face legal action for “attempting to undermine the democracy of the nation.”

Good thing that.. but it comes up like this: about:blank

So it goes nowhere. This is what a few links are doing.

I could probably find the story if I searched the internet, but not from that link, and since it is not the only one, we seem to be having some kind of a problem.

As for my news feed, (first block on the top left) I was trying to go directly to any story at all on the Drudge Report, and it just keeps trying to connect forever and stays here: https://palemoon.start.me/p/3x80vz/startpage

Which it has never done before.

Now in my block underneath this one I have specific websites, (not the feed from the sites to their latest stories,) and these websites come up with no problem. A little slowly sometimes loading but they do come up.

I hope this helps. The problems I am having are entirely new, and they are sporadic.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-10-22, 03:55

Okay since you've specifically mentioned the Drudge Report feeds are not working for your start.me page I tried the top 5 feeds in the Drudge Report module in start.me and all 5 links opened up immediately taking no more than 1-2 seconds to render the webpage.

These are the top 5 (I'm certain all feeds will work without any issues) that all rendered the website:

1) Ramping up rhetoric, Turkey's Erdogan chastises U.S. over democracy
2) Brutal crackdown has gay and transgender Egyptians asking: Is it time to leave?
3) Philippines' Duterte says he will shoot criminals
4) Far-right scores surprise success in Czech election
5) 'Czech Trump' clinches election victory, eurosceptics boosted

Are these the top 5 stories in your Drudge Report module in your start.me page? (as you can see, by clicking on them, all the feeds link to working website news pages) You can test this by doing a right-click on any one of these feed links and selecting "copy link location" and then pasting this into the browser address bar to verify that your feeds do work in your start.me page.

Since they all work flawlessly in my case (and will presumably work in your case by doing the "copy link location" link test in your browser address bar) it woudl appear that you apparently have some unique issue in regards to your start.me page.... You might consider checking things out via the start.me support page. :think:
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2017-10-22, 04:31, edited 2 times in total.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-10-22, 04:08

You might also consider clearing your Pale Moon cache (under "Options" > "Advanced" > "Network" tab), in the Cached Web Content" module click on the "Clear Now" button for this module.

If this does not help you could try clearing start.me cookies (here is a clearing cookies example for Paypal.com, you would do the same thing but make sure you do it for the start.me page so be on the start.me page when you go through the illustrated steps).

If no help then you could try flushing your DNS cache which can sometimes get corrupted for a site by doing precisely the following steps:

1. Click the Microsoft logo in the bottom left corner of the screen
2. Click All Programs
3. Click Accessories
4. RIGHT-click on Command Prompt
5. Select "Run As Administrator"
6. In the command window type the following and then hit enter: ipconfig /flushdns
7. You will see the following confirmation: "Windows IP Configuration Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache."

Test the start.me page once again....

azra_medea

Unread post by azra_medea » 2017-10-22, 18:41

Thank you. I will try all of these things and I will make a post here with my findings when completed.

Yes, those were the links I had that were not loading so I can confirm that at this point.

Thank you again for your time on this!

I appreciate you!