Unidentified Site Behavior

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
JBGood

Unidentified Site Behavior

Unread post by JBGood » 2014-04-03, 21:39

Hi all,

I've just ran into a strange site behavior regarding what seems to be an unknown plugin notification.

The Web site is http://www.urbandictionary.com/

An image is worth several words (especially mine as I'm not fluent in English), hence hereafter screenshots of the 3 sequences which are :

1- I have the plugin notification icon on the URLbar ;
2- When clicking it, I have an empty box with only a Show all ;
3- Clicking on that Show all appears a Allow http://www.urbandictionary.com to run plugins?
Seq.jpg
I've never encountered this before. Thanks for your advise.

EDIT : I forgot to mention that config is Pale Moon 24.4.2 (x64) on Windows 7 (x64) and that the only plug-in installed is Shockwave Flash 12.0.0.77

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Unidentified Site Behavior

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-04-03, 23:02

I'm running linux 64-bit Pale Moon 24.4.1 in linux 64-bit SolydX and when I clicked on the plugin notification icon for the site, it says the Flash plugin is enabled. I can see everything on that site.
Last edited by Night Wing on 2014-04-03, 23:04, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-04-03, 23:02

NoScript tends to cause this. See also http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php ... ugin+blank
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

JBGood

Unread post by JBGood » 2014-04-03, 23:26

Moonchild wrote:NoScript tends to cause this. See also http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php ... ugin+blank
NoScript isn't installed, Moonchild. I've read the post/topic you mentioned and noticed the problem disappeared with NoScript disabled. Obviously more than one cause for a same problem.
I'll try to find out. Really not a problem, just a matter to wonder about! I visited the page no later than yesterday (Thursday) and this mystery wasn't yet on stage. Either I've changed something, either it's the site which has a modification included.

Thanks.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2014-04-04, 05:47

Did you use a youtube addon? This can make this problem too

JBGood

Unread post by JBGood » 2014-04-04, 08:21

dark_moon wrote:Did you use a youtube addon? This can make this problem too
I do have a YouTube add-on (YouTube Center Developer Build 265 at this time), but disabling it doesn't change anything.
I've just tried, on the go, disabling all styles, and all scripts as well, no change. Remains the possibility of another add-on interfering. I'd have to test disabling one after another (some obviously cannot be guilty) and with 80 or so it'll take time! But as I mentioned above, I had not encountered this oddity when I visited the site last Thursday.

As always there is a reason. I'll call Dick Tracy to investigate :)

EDIT: for those who may be wondering about the S shaped icon on the screenshots above, it is not though it looks like, the NoScript icon, but the one of an add-on called CS Lite Mode when the cookie permission for the page's site is Session only ... I'm on Dick Tracy's state of mind!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-04-04, 12:49

Page content can't do anything with the UI, so it won't be site code. You'll have to focus on your add-ons and think about what has been changed or updated recently in that respect. If it's only on certain sites, then likely candidates are add-ons that block.filter content based on what site you visit, or provide information/manipulation of site-based content.

EDIT: It's AdBlockPlus. I noticed the same - disabling ABP and reloading the site fixed the doorhanger. Enabling it and reloading the site broke the doorhanger again.
Must have been a gremlin. Tried to reproduce it a few times and failed. Somethign odd, at any rate. I'll have a look into this.

Seems a Firefox bug: bug #921411
Will have to research causes and solutions
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-04-04, 13:24

Confirmed bug, moved to bug reports.

It is actually caused by page content, confusing the UI by adding and then removing object nodes, making the browser think there is a plugin while there is none, and subsequently confusing the doorhanger display code, trying to display the one for multiple plugins with insufficient data.
Fairly easy solution as well in the browser front-end JS, just needs a sanitation filter.

Will be fixed in the next point release; I'll add it to the known issues page. No workarounds unfortunately.

JBGood

Unread post by JBGood » 2014-04-04, 13:37

Concerning AdblockPlus , I had tested yesterday its "disable everywhere" option, and have right now tested disabling the add-on itself, but no effect on the "oddity" (I'll call it Oddity!).
I read you, Moonchild, I see you've retracted the AdblockPlus possibility; I've tested anyway.

Thanks for the link to the Bugzilla article which fits exactly with the Oddity I'm experiencing. Here it was, is the first time we met (the Oddity and myself!). I won't say obviously because I don't have the techie skills to assume, but perhaps it is all contained within the scripting area. As I mentioned yesterday, I've tried disabling all scripts with Scriptish's option, but that led to nowhere as well.

What is puzzling here is that it seems to be a very occasional problem, hard if not impossible to reproduce otherwise than with the site concerned (and with the user's configuration, since other users have not my problem on that site).

I tried this morning to check if blacklisted sites in my HOSTS file could be the cause. With Hostsman Hosts Manager I asked sister application HostsServer to log sites blocked on the Oddity page, found one, disabled the blocking with HostsMan ... but unsuccessfully again.

It's amusing because it's not a problem with consequences, even if as always in computing the slightest things can sometimes be relevant of deeper errors. Sometimes not at all.

Wait 'n' see :)

JBGood

Unread post by JBGood » 2014-04-04, 13:43

Moonchild wrote:Confirmed bug, moved to bug reports.

It is actually caused by page content, confusing the UI by adding and then removing object nodes, making the browser think there is a plugin while there is none, and subsequently confusing the doorhanger display code, trying to display the one for multiple plugins with insufficient data.
Fairly easy solution as well in the browser front-end JS, just needs a sanitation filter.

Will be fixed in the next point release; I'll add it to the known issues page. No workarounds unfortunately.
Great. So I will have contributed unwillingly to Mozilla code optimization. Darn, what an experience!

Thanks Moonchild for investigation.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-04-04, 13:45

JBGood wrote:What is puzzling here is that it seems to be a very occasional problem, hard if not impossible to reproduce otherwise than with the site concerned (and with the user's configuration, since other users have not my problem on that site).
It's actually reproducible 100% of the time if you delete document nodes through DOM in a certain way.
I've already found a fix for it, but since it's a bug in the main browser front-end code, there's no workaround and will be an issue until the next release.
JBGood wrote:So I will have contributed unwillingly to Mozilla code optimization. Darn, what an experience!
Usually that's how bugs are handled: someone reports it, it's verified, the cause is found and a fix is written.

JBGood

Unread post by JBGood » 2014-04-04, 14:21

OK- So it appears the problem was not script related, but a content handling by the site made possible because of a loose code on that segment.
That's the general idea I'm limited to. Nice you found out the culprit, Moonchild.
We'll have to wait for Mozilla to take care of the flaw in a next version since the problem affects a core area of the browser. OK.

I won't have to check every add-on, that's my little part of immediate satisfaction :)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-04-04, 14:57

You'll only have to wait for the next Pale Moon version ;)

JBGood

Unread post by JBGood » 2014-04-04, 15:25

Moonchild wrote:You'll only have to wait for the next Pale Moon version ;)
Nice! I had misunderstood your previous post. I had concluded that their are areas of the Firefox code that can be changed/optimized/widened and that other areas were a core area that was untouchable, the "Oddity" cause being of the latter. Must be the Dick Tracy syndrome! -- Frankly (anyone doubting?) I'm trying to understand with the best will but, again, with limited knowledge in this domain (I know so many things, yeps, but not all, nops) !