Warn when closing multiple tabs

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
damamm

Warn when closing multiple tabs

Unread post by damamm » 2014-03-12, 00:45

Greetings,

just reporting a small bug that has been annoying me for some time:
I have, in the options->tabs, UNchecked the setting "Warn me when closing multiple tabs", but it still warns me and opens up the confirmation dialog when I click on a tab, in the tabs bar, and use "Close Other Tabs" or "Close Tabs to the Right" (naturally, with multiple tabs open).
When closing the browser entirely it works as intended and doesn't prompt me.
That's all.

Win 7 x64 SP1, PM x64 24.4.0 (though it has been around in previous versions).

Thanks in advance!

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Warn when closing multiple tabs

Unread post by ron_1 » 2014-03-12, 02:12

I too have "Warn me when closing multiple tabs" UNchecked and I also get the warning about closing multiple tabs when closing them the way you described (which is totally new to me).

somdcomputerguy
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by somdcomputerguy » 2014-03-12, 02:37

This thread caught my attention, because I haven't experienced this issue. However, I am running the Tab Mix + add-on, and when I disabled it, I did have the same issue.
:cool: -bruce /* somdcomputerguy.com */
'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2014-03-12, 06:31

Can't confirm this.
Did you guys have a tab addon?

Try a clean profile. The unchecking didn't give me the close warning.

damamm

Unread post by damamm » 2014-03-13, 00:44

Thank you for looking into this.
dark_moon wrote:Did you guys have a tab addon?
Nope here.
dark_moon wrote:Try a clean profile. The unchecking didn't give me the close warning.
There you go. Freshly built profile, no addons, only setting I touched was to uncheck the "Warn me when closing multiple tabs".
Close tabs warn
Close tabs warn

jumba

Unread post by jumba » 2014-03-13, 11:31

damamm wrote:I have, in the options->tabs, UNchecked the setting "Warn me when closing multiple tabs", but it still warns me and opens up the confirmation dialog when I click on a tab, in the tabs bar, and use "Close Other Tabs" or "Close Tabs to the Right" (naturally, with multiple tabs open).
That setting might be a bit misleading. It applies only to when closing the browser. e.g. it should read something like "Warn me when closing browser with multiple tabs opened".

There is no setting in the options dialog to configure that, but you can from about:config,
set browser.tabs.warnOnCloseOtherTabs to false

(the check box configures this entry instead: browser.tabs.warnOnClose)

I think it would be better to add both of them to the options dialog or at least make it more specific for the user.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-03-13, 11:36

jumba wrote:There is no setting in the options dialog to configure that, but you can from about:config,
set browser.tabs.warnOnCloseOtherTabs to false[/highligh]
Nice tip. :thumbup: Thanks for sharing.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

somdcomputerguy
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by somdcomputerguy » 2014-03-13, 13:20

jumba wrote:There is no setting in the options dialog to configure that, but you can from about:config..
Thanks! :thumbup:
:cool: -bruce /* somdcomputerguy.com */
'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

damamm

Unread post by damamm » 2014-03-13, 20:56

jumba wrote:There is no setting in the options dialog to configure that, but you can from about:config,
set browser.tabs.warnOnCloseOtherTabs to false

(the check box configures this entry instead: browser.tabs.warnOnClose)

I think it would be better to add both of them to the options dialog or at least make it more specific for the user.
Sweet, spot on!

I see no reason not to have both settings in the options already, or have this one setting change both values. Is it necessary to open a topic on the suggestions board, or would Moonchild consider from this? :P

Thanks

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-03-13, 22:21

damamm wrote:I see no reason not to have both settings in the options already, or have this one setting change both values.
Good point actually.

I don't see a reason to make separate entries in the options dialog box, that would just add confusion for the users; but having the one setting control both preferences is a good solution and makes the setting less ambiguous.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2014-03-13, 23:24

dark_moon wrote:
Try a clean profile.
I'm a little late here. I tested this after updating to 24.4.0. I uninstalled the previous version completely with Revo Uninstaller, so I assume that gave me a clean profile.
Moonchild wrote:
but having the one setting control both preferences is a good solution and makes the setting less ambiguous.
I think that's a good idea.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2014-03-13, 23:31

No need for install a tool to uninstall a programm.
Windows can do this better ;)

And for the profil: Just start the profilemanager with -p and create a new profile
No need for uninstall pale moon.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2014-03-14, 01:21

dark_moon wrote:
And for the profil: Just start the profilemanager with -p and create a new profile
No need for uninstall pale moon.
I didn't uninstall just to create a new profile . . . I was updating from 24.3.2 to 24.4.0. But thanks for the instructions on how to create a new profile. I'll try to remember that for future reference.
No need for install a tool to uninstall a programm.
Windows can do this better ;)
This is off-topic, but Revo catches left-over folders and registry entries (which I am very careful with deleting) that would otherwise be left behind. [Speaking generally, not specific for Pale Moon.]
Last edited by ron_1 on 2014-03-14, 21:16, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-03-14, 12:11

I've made a change to how the "warn me when closing multiple tabs" works now, which will be part of Pale Moon 24.4.1

When checked, it will warn when closing multiple tabs when closing a window or the browser, and it will warn when "closing other tabs" from the tab strip.
When unchecked, it will not warn in either situation.
You will still be able to change the settings individually in about:config, if you so desire.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2014-03-14, 14:03

A nice little addition.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

damamm

Unread post by damamm » 2014-03-21, 21:53

Sweet and working on 24.4.1 :D
Thanks

damamm

Unread post by damamm » 2014-04-10, 20:44

Hi again,

I found a small bug (or maybe just anonyance) related to the change applied:
when using a clean profile, the first time you close the browser with multiple tabs open, it will prompt you whether you'd like to be warned when closing multiple tabs or not. If you uncheck the box saying you wish to be notified, it will not alter the config related to "Close Other Tabs", but the setting in the options menu (the "Warn me when closing multiple tabs" which now alters both configs) will be unmarked.
To make it work as intended you have to check and uncheck the setting again, so that it modifies the config related to both events.

Thanks for the continued effort!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-04-10, 21:24

Thanks for your report, I'll have a look at that.