"Clear cache on exit" pref relabeling

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Faziri

"Clear cache on exit" pref relabeling

Unread post by Faziri » 2013-08-14, 22:42

This is a simple request for a fix (not truly a bug, but it needs "repair"), submitted to Mozilla already and plainly ignored by the wonderful people there as it has been for years.
Bugzilla post 903869

Palemoon x86 20.3 (present in just about every build anyway)

The disk cache has an option to be "cleared on exit". Enabling this option does not actually do what it says. Instead, it disables the cache altogether.

If that is the case, then the pref in the interface should be relabeled so that it states its true effect instead of what it's supposed to look like. I'd suggest changing "Options/Privacy/Clear history when Firefox closes/Cache" into "Options/Privacy/Disable disk web cache".

CraigPD
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: "Clear cache on exit" pref relabeling

Unread post by CraigPD » 2013-08-15, 02:34

Faziri wrote:The disk cache has an option to be "cleared on exit". Enabling this option does not actually do what it says. Instead, it disables the cache altogether.
Thanks for unraveling a mystery I'd given up on months ago - Disk Cache Dilema and some others. I thought this glitch was unique to PM Portable but in fact its an example of broad Mozilla illogic.

Faziri

Unread post by Faziri » 2013-08-15, 10:17

CraigPD wrote:
Faziri wrote:The disk cache has an option to be "cleared on exit". Enabling this option does not actually do what it says. Instead, it disables the cache altogether.
Thanks for unraveling a mystery I'd given up on months ago - Disk Cache Dilema and some others. I thought this glitch was unique to PM Portable but in fact its an example of broad Mozilla illogic.
You're welcome. Took me a while to find out too, couldn't believe what I was reading when the dev replying to my report plainly told me about this.

aorbiter

Unread post by aorbiter » 2013-08-15, 11:15

Is there a particular work-around routine?

I have mine ticked. That means the disk cache is disabled. If I untick, how and where do I clear the cache?

I've always wondered why my ram disk cache experiment/experience didn't please me.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-08-15, 12:16

Options -> Advanced -> Network -> Cached web content: [Clear Now]
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Faziri

Unread post by Faziri » 2013-09-23, 08:09

So does that reply and the fact that it wasn't changed in v24 imply you don't consider this one valid? Just wondering, it's a little indecisive.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-09-23, 08:38

Faziri wrote:So does that reply and the fact that it wasn't changed in v24 imply you don't consider this one valid? Just wondering, it's a little indecisive.
I've actually had a lot more important things to worry about than editing a display string, to be honest.
It's not that I don't care or that it's not valid, it's simply the fact that it's low priority. Even if the description isn't exactly correct for what happens under the hood, the description of the effect is correct: disabling the cache does clear it.

Instead of changing a label, I'd rather change the behavior under the hood, to actually clear the cache. That will take time to implement.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Faziri

Unread post by Faziri » 2013-09-23, 10:49

Moonchild wrote:
Faziri wrote:So does that reply and the fact that it wasn't changed in v24 imply you don't consider this one valid? Just wondering, it's a little indecisive.
I've actually had a lot more important things to worry about than editing a display string, to be honest.
It's not that I don't care or that it's not valid, it's simply the fact that it's low priority. Even if the description isn't exactly correct for what happens under the hood, the description of the effect is correct: disabling the cache does clear it.

Instead of changing a label, I'd rather change the behavior under the hood, to actually clear the cache. That will take time to implement.
Awesome, no worries then. :D Changing it to actually do what it says (enable cache and just empty it at shutdown) is exactly what I was hoping for, but the Mozilla people told me it wouldn't happen, ever. Then again, that's Mozilla... Should've known better.

Thanks Moonchild :D