All session tabs lost

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
azzahr
Moongazer
Moongazer

All session tabs lost

Unread post by azzahr » 2021-05-06, 01:48

After updating Pale Moon to version 29.2 the tabs were kept but on the next start all of them were lost!
I demand an explanation :problem:
..even the pinned tabs :thumbdown:

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: All session tabs lost

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-05-06, 02:49

azzahr wrote:
2021-05-06, 01:48
I demand an explanation
Have you ever heard of this amazing technology called 'bookmarks' that goes back to Netscape? Tabs are not a substitute for bookmarks.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2021-05-06, 03:57

Tabs are volatile. They are never meant to last forever. So as moonbat said, use bookmarks next time.

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

azzahr
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by azzahr » 2021-05-06, 04:06

OK, tabs are volatile. But this is the first time it has happened to me and I would just like to know the cause and if it will happen every time I update Pale Moon.

azzahr
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by azzahr » 2021-05-06, 04:12

moonbat wrote:
2021-05-06, 02:49
azzahr wrote:
2021-05-06, 01:48
I demand an explanation
Have you ever heard of this amazing technology called 'bookmarks' that goes back to Netscape? Tabs are not a substitute for bookmarks.
Perhaps people navigate differently now than 25 years ago. Maybe now people want to have 50 tabs open and when they restart their browser they will see them there again. If that functionality does not exist it might be useful to create it. Has neither of you used your previous browser session again?

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-05-06, 04:21

azzahr wrote:
2021-05-06, 04:12
Maybe now people want to have 50 tabs open and when they restart their browser they will see them there again.

̷M̷a̷y̷b̷e̷ People definitely need to learn that tabs are volatile and it isn't reliable to depend on a session, and that's before bloating up your memory usage and stressing the browser beyond what it's designed for. WTF do you need hundreds of tabs spilling off-screen for when you can instantly type to access anything in the addressbar from across history, open tabs and bookmarks and what do you gain from saving the few milliseconds it takes to retrieve them?
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2021-05-06, 04:22

azzahr wrote:
2021-05-06, 04:12
Has neither of you used your previous browser session again?
I don't restore from the previous session, even if it crashed. It makes the browser faster for me. If I have to backtrack to some site when it crashed, I use the browser's history.

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-05-06, 09:01

azzahr wrote:
2021-05-06, 04:06
OK, tabs are volatile. But this is the first time it has happened to me
... and for some people it will never happen.
and I would just like to know the cause
It depends on several factors, not in the least if the shutdown of the browser was clean, if the session was mangled by extensions, if there was an interruption writing the session file to disk, how large the session was (if hundreds of tabs then it'd be very likely to happen again), etc.
and if it will happen every time I update Pale Moon.
Not by design, no.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2021-05-06, 09:19

I'd never expected tabs to be there forever. Until sometimes before the pandemics I used to work at office only, and keep the browser on for weeks (but clearing history every 2 days), with some two windows with about 10 tabs (which however I did not look at regularly). I have Session manager to restore the setup in case I had to restart the browser. I used to keep bookmarks only in the bookmark menu and two subfolders ("volatile" and "long term"), plus mantaining a list of interesting URLs offline in a myqsl/HTML db of mine.

Then at some time I rearranged entirely the system. Now I have both the bookmark menu and the bookmark toolbar. The bookmark menu has three areas: a few links like search engines (I removed the search entry from he navigation bar since ages), maps etc., a group of thematic folders like forums, mailing lists, project wikis etc. and a short volatile area. The bookmark toolbar has half a dozen of folder entries two of which are called sub-sessions, each folder has about half a dozen of entries most of which are thematic sub-folders. This way I can recreate the "session" I need easily, and usually have just from 3 to 10 tabs open.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

azzahr
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by azzahr » 2021-05-07, 02:15

Lucio Chiappetti wrote:
2021-05-06, 09:19
I'd never expected tabs to be there forever. Until sometimes before the pandemics I used to work at office only, and keep the browser on for weeks (but clearing history every 2 days), with some two windows with about 10 tabs (which however I did not look at regularly). I have Session manager to restore the setup in case I had to restart the browser. I used to keep bookmarks only in the bookmark menu and two subfolders ("volatile" and "long term"), plus mantaining a list of interesting URLs offline in a myqsl/HTML db of mine.

Then at some time I rearranged entirely the system. Now I have both the bookmark menu and the bookmark toolbar. The bookmark menu has three areas: a few links like search engines (I removed the search entry from he navigation bar since ages), maps etc., a group of thematic folders like forums, mailing lists, project wikis etc. and a short volatile area. The bookmark toolbar has half a dozen of folder entries two of which are called sub-sessions, each folder has about half a dozen of entries most of which are thematic sub-folders. This way I can recreate the "session" I need easily, and usually have just from 3 to 10 tabs open.
Thank you. A friendly, practical and useful answer. That is all I wanted to read. Thank you so much. :thumbup:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-05-07, 08:04

azzahr wrote:
2021-05-07, 02:15
That is all I wanted to read.
I guess that teaches me to actually answer the question that was asked instead of providing a tangential alternative written like an anecdote. What was I thinking :P
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite