PM just Updated when set only to notify

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

PM just Updated when set only to notify

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2021-02-05, 15:08

I have used PM since soon after FF creatd Australis.

I do not set any software to update automatically and have done things this way for many years,

I was just in the process of making a post on a foruim when suddenly the browser closed, I got a warning from defensive software about something modifying something and then a notice that PM had updated to 29.0.0. I checked, and I am still set not to allow this.

I consider this to be unwanted behavior and I am not happy abouti . This is the sort of thing I work to avoid. I wait to install updates to prevent bad ones from being able to take me off-line. I now wonder how much to trust the control for this stuff in PM

How do I undo this and get the prior version back until I choose to accept ver. 29??

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: PM just Updated when set only to notify

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-02-05, 15:29

By default, Pale Moon does not automatically update its self but notifies you. So that is strange, but never the less.. Unless you have a backup of your pre-29 profile you really can't simply go back.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: PM just Updated when set only to notify

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-02-05, 15:53

If you were typing away then it is possible that you (very unfortunately) had the update window pop up while you were hitting the exact keys to keyboard-shortcut confirm the update window and then restart (we already make sure to default to the cancel option in the update window to avoid unintended confirmation). Pale Moon does not update or certainly restart without asking you permission first.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite