Palemoon losing color channel on specific jpg

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
ExSpearmint

Palemoon losing color channel on specific jpg

Unread post by ExSpearmint » 2021-01-29, 03:36

OS is windows 10, version is 28.17.10 (64 bit)

This jpeg on wikipedia is mangled on my computer on palemoon, and not on other browsers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapel_Royal#/media/File:HRH_The_Duke_of_Connaught_at_Mohawk_Church,_Brantford_(HS85-10-26794).jpg

Direct link to image:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5a/HRH_The_Duke_of_Connaught_at_Mohawk_Church%2C_Brantford_%28HS85-10-26794%29.jpg

It looks all pink and blue, like there's a missing color channel. The image looks fine on chrome and - if downloaded - opens fine in a normal image editor.

I do not think this is the result of the image getting corrupted in transmission and the bad image being cached, because of the following facts

1) Forcing a reload of the image does not fix it. I have checked about:cache?storage=disk&context= and it is indeed fetching a new version and updating the cache aeach time
2) Opening the a window in private mode still loads the corrupted version
3) Different thumbnails of the same image sent by wikimedia (which have different file sizes) all display this same effect. The one attached is a medium sized thumbnail version, but both the tiny on-page thumbnail and the full-size one display the exact same effect.
4) Restarting the browser still has the same issue.
5) Downloading the file through palemoon results in the correct image.

Steps to reproduce: I navigate to the image, or see it embedded on a page, and it's messed up.

I have attached a copy-and-pasted version of the image from palemoon into an image editor, which retains the corruption (as I said, downloading the image and opening it in an image editor produces a normal picture).
Attachments
Clipboard_Downloaded_Image.jpg

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Palemoon losing color channel on specific jpg

Unread post by Cassette » 2021-01-29, 11:30

Unfortunately the images are no longer available on the thread, but see if this is any help. viewtopic.php?f=29&t=18699&p=138187

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2021-01-29, 12:20

The image has a color profile named "OS12000_A1_mG", so can confirm that this is a color profile issue.

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-01-29, 12:25

Confirmed this is because of an embedded colour profile that isn't sRGB.
Loading the image up in Ps presents the attached dialog as a result. For this conversion to work system-wide, you need to calibrate your colour in Windows as explained in the linked thread.
Attachments
mismatch1.png
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

ExSpearmint

Unread post by ExSpearmint » 2021-01-29, 14:26

Checked color calibration settings: they were on factory defaults (which should be correct for a laptop)

Are you talking about the "display color calibration" wizard?

I went through that, but even after I had set a new 'custom color' setup, nothing changed with the displayed image. Windows says I'm using the custom setup now.

Has windows hidden more color calibration info in some strange third place?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-01-29, 14:48

No, that should be all that's needed for basic calibration.
It most certainly works for me. It even worked for me at default calibration (without a profile) in Windows 10, so I'm not sure what's being weird with your laptop display.

To work around it you can disable colour management in the browser. In about:config, set gfx.color_management.mode to 0 and restart the browser.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite