Facebook becomes laggy in Pale Moon

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Facebook becomes laggy in Pale Moon

Unread post by badnick » 2020-12-03, 06:22

nimanima wrote:
2020-12-03, 02:13
They still don't play (version 28.16.) I don't use adblockers. I don't use the Facebook Chat, so I can't say anything about it. I use Fluff Busting Purity (Grease Monkey) to actually HIDE a lot of unnecessary for me buttons and functions on Facebook. I have done so for ages also on the old design. Facebook videos were playing fine with and without FBP enabled in the old design, they don't play at all with and without FBP enabled in the new design.
Generally videos play for me, just sometimes they looks like in your attached screenshot.
But I have another problem: after short time of browsing, Facebook become very laggy till unresponsive. In fact the whole browser become unresponsive I tried to solve this by deleting cache and refreshing the page but this solve the problem partially and just for few cases. The only way to solve this is restarting the browser, so at the moment I can't use Pale Moon for Facebook. Anybody else has this issue?
Windows 10 pro /64 (version 1809)
PM last/64

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Videos don't play in New Facebook Design - but in the Old

Unread post by back2themoon » 2020-12-03, 11:12

badnick wrote:
2020-12-03, 06:22
...I can't use Pale Moon for Facebook.
Your CPU and GPU?

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2020-12-03, 11:34

back2themoon wrote:
2020-12-03, 11:12
Your CPU and GPU?
I don't think it has anything to do with it. The old Fb design worked for me.
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4160 CPU @ 3.60GHz / GPU=Radeon R7 -200
PM last/64

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2020-12-03, 11:46

Old design-old CPU, new design-new CPU. It's not really that illogical. Aren't websites software, after all? Software gets "heavier", requiring better hardware and up to a certain point, it makes sense.

Having said that, Facebook is indeed badly designed "software" so don't expect it to perform logically.

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2020-12-03, 12:05

I honestly don't think here it's my configuration because new Fb works in other browsers. But if you are a current Fb user and you have no problems on Pale Moon, maybe is something i'm missing.
PM last/64

Andrew Herbert

Unread post by Andrew Herbert » 2020-12-03, 12:50

badnick wrote:
2020-12-03, 06:22
In fact the whole browser become unresponsive I tried to solve this by deleting cache and refreshing the page but this solve the problem partially and just for few cases
Maybe the solution is to increase the disk cache capacity with browser.cache.disk.capacity in about:config or with Pale Moon Commander. I note that Pale Moon's default is 358.400 KB, while Firefox's is 1.048.576 KB.

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2020-12-03, 13:05

Andrew Herbert wrote:
2020-12-03, 12:50
Maybe the solution is to increase the disk cache capacity with browser.cache.disk.capacity in about:config or with Pale Moon Commander. I note that Pale Moon's default is 358.400 KB, while Firefox's is 1.048.576 KB.
That's how I thought at first that the cache is to blame, but is not. In most cases the lag occurs before the cache is half full
PM last/64

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Facebook becomes laggy in Pale Moon

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-12-04, 10:14

Keep in mind that Facebook will use much slower scripting on Pale Moon because it will use "fallback code" for everything as they don't officially support the browser. Instead of proper feature detection they likely fill in the blanks for every feature they assume we don't support by not being Chrome-based with Even More Javascript™, many of which can be leaky or simply slow as tar. That isn't a browser issue. In other words: what you see on Pale Moon isn't the same website code as what you see on other browsers, and the result is accordingly.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2020-12-04, 11:03

For the record facebook works appallingly on firefox too and within 5 minutes of use my operating system is frozen so it is definately not just pale moon..PM has been my browser of choice for years and firefox is only used for facebook but even then firefox is more or less killed within minutes of use and it is getting worse...facebook will becopme chrome only and i refuse to use a chromium based browser.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2020-12-04, 11:17

Moonraker wrote:
2020-12-04, 11:03
For the record facebook works appallingly on firefox too and within 5 minutes of use my operating system is frozen so it is definately not just pale moon..PM has been my browser of choice for years and firefox is only used for facebook but even then firefox is more or less killed within minutes of use and it is getting worse...facebook will becopme chrome only and i refuse to use a chromium based browser.
Sorry but since the new Facebook look arrived I use Firefox for them and there is no problem.
PM last/64

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-12-04, 11:49

So, clearly, your mileage may vary when a website shoves close to 10 MEGAbytes of minified JS to your browser upon first load. And it's clear you can't actually blame any browser for that since the experience apparently varies for each user.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2020-12-04, 12:02

Ok, but i'm in doubt that the "Operating system" can be frozen just by using Facebook. Maybe the browser is frozen (firefox).
I'm not blaming Pale Moon , just seek a solution to use Facebook on Pale Moon.
PM last/64

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-12-04, 12:13

The browser can't freeze the O.S. unless you are either running out of memory and the swapping to disk takes all cycles, OR there's an issue with system drivers that can't handle bog-standard compositing calls done by Pale Moon. Pale Moon runs in application space and by definition can't lock up the lower operating levels itself. (same way it can't cause blue screens or kernel panics itself)

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2020-12-04, 12:25

i have discovered in my personal case it is certainly a memory issue.To be fair i only have 2gb of RAM and firefox gobbles 1.6gb at times and yes the entire os freezes.
1.6gb for just facebook.??.
i am intending to upgrade to a more powerful laptop so performance may improve.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2020-12-04, 12:49

Moonraker wrote:
2020-12-04, 12:25
1.6gb for just facebook.??.
Yes, it is possible.
Right now i'm in the middle of some "experiments" : I'm on Facebook / Pale Moon from about 1 hour / 1 window with Facebook tab active and a couple of inactive tabs eats about 1640 MB -RAM
Other Facebook account open on Opera from about 9 hours (and few other tabs open) - 470 MB of RAM
PM last/64

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-12-04, 14:53

Did you count all processes? Did you in those 9 hours close/open Facebook tabs (because you know that would just nuke the content process which would be like restarting the browser)

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2020-12-04, 15:15

Moonchild wrote:
2020-12-04, 14:53
Did you count all processes? Did you in those 9 hours close/open Facebook tabs (because you know that would just nuke the content process which would be like restarting the browser)
As Windows 10 shows in taskmanager the root process count the sum of all subprocesses.
In all this time I opened links from Facebook in other tabs and some of them I close it, but I never close all facebook tabs
Attachments
Opera 1.png
Opera2.png
PM last/64

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-12-04, 15:29

So, IOW you can't use your comparison. It doesn't matter if you "closed all Facebook tabs" in Opera because each tab would just kill one of the processes and as such not actually have the browser engine run Facebook scripting for those hours. So sure, it may leak just as much, you just won't notice it :P

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2020-12-04, 15:44

Moonchild wrote:
2020-12-04, 15:29
So, IOW you can't use your comparison. It doesn't matter if you "closed all Facebook tabs" in Opera because each tab would just kill one of the processes and as such not actually have the browser engine run Facebook scripting for those hours. So sure, it may leak just as much, you just won't notice it :P
Moonchild, not the Memory consumption is my problem, it was just a remark to Moonraker post I have enough RAM -16 Gb
PM last/64

RedRamGT
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by RedRamGT » 2020-12-04, 23:24

I am running Windows-7 Professional, both 32-Bit and 64-Bit versions. I've noticed that as I scroll in Facebook, the memory usage climbs, until the system significantly slows down. In Windows-7 32-Bit and Pale Moon, the browser eventually runs out of memory and blows up, while with 64-Bit Pale Moon it just uses more and more memory. I've also tried Facebook on Windows-7 with Microsoft Edge, and the memory use does not climb like it does with Pale Moon. I wonder if it could be Facebook knowing it's on a Chrome browser, and doing something differently.