Facebook becomes laggy in Pale Moon

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Facebook becomes laggy in Pale Moon

Unread post by badnick » 2020-12-05, 04:54

RedRamGT wrote:
2020-12-04, 23:24
I've noticed that as I scroll in Facebook, the memory usage climbs, until the system significantly slows down.
You are right! Scrolling is one of the major problems on Facebook with Pale Moon.
Windows 10 pro /64 (version 1809)
PM last/64

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2020-12-06, 05:50

Moonchild wrote:
2020-12-04, 10:14
Keep in mind that Facebook will use much slower scripting on Pale Moon because it will use "fallback code" for everything as they don't officially support the browser. Instead of proper feature detection they likely fill in the blanks for every feature they assume we don't support by not being Chrome-based with Even More Javascript™, many of which can be leaky or simply slow as tar.
That thing can be seen on developer tools?
PM last/64

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-12-06, 10:14

badnick wrote:
2020-12-06, 05:50
That thing can be seen on developer tools?
No it can't. All of this happens silently.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2020-12-07, 05:51

Moonchild wrote:
2020-12-06, 10:14
No it can't. All of this happens silently.
After the browser begin hanging by using Facebook, closing Facebook tabs, empty cache, deleting cookies, refreshing other tabs, do not solve nothing, the browser remain unusable.What can still cause that?
PM last/64

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-12-07, 10:59

badnick wrote:
2020-12-07, 05:51
After the browser begin hanging by using Facebook
Which means you are already in a bad memory state the browser has trouble recovering from...
badnick wrote:
empty cache
... making things worse by increasing management load
badnick wrote:
refreshing other tabs
... making things worse by increasing memory use
badnick wrote:
What can still cause that?
Facebook's insane script mountain causing memory leaking and fragmentation.

I bet if you look at about:memory in that state you'll likely see problems.
There is a simple solution though. We have a "Restart..." option in the menu for a reason.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2020-12-10, 13:11

Because I'm an insistent guy I did some testing with different settings. Seems to disabling „enabling compacting GC” under „Garbage collection” on Pale Moon commander leads to a significant improvement in Facebook browsing: the progressive lag is much-much lower untill memory rise to around 2500 -3000 MB or over when Pale Moon still begin to hangs but these hangs are short and not irreversible so Pale Moon is still responsive. After a couple of minutes of browsing in this state, Pale Moon returns itself to normal – I mean no hangs, no lag and looking to memory it drops to around 1300-1400 MB This test was made yesterday during about 14 hours of moderate Facebook browsing and today about 8 hours untill now, with no one restart needed.
In parallel with this test I ran SeaMonkey same period of time with another Facebook account and is working like a charm –no lag-no hangs.
So I know I will be blamed, but I don’t think Facebook made some special code for other browsers than Chrome and clones, or Firefox, to make them go bad.
PM last/64

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-12-10, 16:37

I think what the crisis here is that someone who spends 14 hours on facebook calling that "moderate browsing". I mean shit, no wonder you have some sort of aquired functional retardation.

I'd be staring into the sun drooling like an idiot too (when not on facebook, of course) if that was my life.

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2020-12-10, 17:04

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2020-12-10, 16:37
I think what the crisis here is that someone who spends 14 hours on facebook calling that "moderate browsing". I mean shit, no wonder you have some sort of aquired functional retardation.

I'd be staring into the sun drooling like an idiot too (when not on facebook, of course) if that was my life.
Smart people can imagine somebody who has a facebook tab open for 14 hours is not necesarely to watch this page all the 14 hours . But ofcourse you have a long endless way untill you can reach this nomination "smart people"!
PM last/64

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-12-10, 20:22

So what have you done that is impressive? Maybe we need to get to know you better beyond your fragmented and nonsensical forum history.

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2020-12-13, 07:06

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2020-12-10, 20:22
So what have you done that is impressive? Maybe we need to get to know you better beyond your fragmented and nonsensical forum history.
Why do you think i should do something "impressive" on this forum? I thought the forum was for reporting problems and trying to solve it. Do you want me to write poems here? You have a wrong opinion about people in general and especially about yourself.
PM last/64

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-12-13, 12:37

You two can work this out in private. Nobody else feel like reading this drivel.
SOLVE IT LIKE ADULTS.

PS: both of you are currently on 2 forum warnings. if you can't behave i'll ban you both.