Pale Moon is still crashing for me.

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
RexyDallas

Pale Moon is still crashing for me.

Unread post by RexyDallas » 2020-10-10, 15:05

I am using Pale Moon v28.14.2, yet it is still crashing. It crashed 5-10 times yesterday, and has already crashed once today. The only extension I have installed is Stylem 2.2.6.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Pale Moon is still crashing for me.

Unread post by ron_1 » 2020-10-10, 15:21

See if you still get those crashes in a new profile.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-10-10, 15:42

Contrary to popular belief we can't magically see what's happening with your browser. Also, unlike Mozilla, we don't collect telemetry or crash reports from users, so you'll have to provide this information yourself if you want us to look into the crashes.

What would be helpful:
  • Help -> troubleshooting information, Copy as Text
  • A crash report from AppCrashView at the least, or if you feel comfortable trying something a little more technical, a crash minidump would help
  • Details in what situations your browser crashes: visiting specific websites? Doing antyhing specific?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

RexyDallas

Unread post by RexyDallas » 2020-10-10, 19:02

I have noticed it usually has happened when I was Private Browsing, but it could be coincidential. I also noticed a lot of the times I had Wikipedia open, but I open it a lot, too.

Crash reports:
https://pastebin.com/wuSGfmXH

Troubleshooting info:
https://pastebin.com/NvpfA6vY

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-10-10, 19:45

Thanks, I've found the crashing point with your reports. Unfortunately it's in a refresh/timer loop and I'd need to see the stack trace and object values to be able to see what exactly is going on, since I can't reproduce any frequent sort of crashing myself.
It would help a lot if you could capture a crash dump using the instructions in viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13044
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

dink_fbneo

Unread post by dink_fbneo » 2020-10-22, 00:26

I got a crash earlier today with pm 28.14.2, went to another SMF forum, read new messages, downloaded a ~60meg avi from a mega.nz link.
I went to the download arrow and clicked "open containing folder" - nothing happened. then I clicked "remove from history", then "open containing folder" again (it didn't delete it from history - probably since the vlc was playing it after it downloaded?). then it crashed.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-10-22, 02:10

Moonchild wrote:
2020-10-10, 19:45
It would help a lot if you could capture a crash dump using the instructions in viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13044

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-10-22, 09:48

Also please don't use this one thread to lump different crashes into.
The browser WILL have crashing behaviour in specific scenarios because it's not a perfect piece of software. Whether various crashes are related is unknown without details, so just posting "I had a crash too" without details will just confuse the matter.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-10-22, 09:51

We would prefer there be no crashes so help us help you help us all.

RexyDallas

Unread post by RexyDallas » 2020-10-29, 00:04

So, I have gotten some progress. I have managed to find out if I open these three pages together, (I was opening them in a private browsing window with YouTube open in a normal window, not sure if that is relevant.) Pale Moon will eventually crash. It often has crashed when I try to switch to the first page, but it has crashed while I had both windows minimized.

https://www.mensjournal.com/health-fitn ... golf-ball/
https://www.spcfitz.com/biceps-training ... o-the-arm/
https://www.spcfitz.com/

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-10-29, 00:09

Moonchild wrote:
Thanks, I've found the crashing point with your reports. Unfortunately it's in a refresh/timer loop and I'd need to see the stack trace and object values to be able to see what exactly is going on, since I can't reproduce any frequent sort of crashing myself.
ALSO: please update to 28.15.0 if you haven't yet because we fixed a number of crashes in this release.

RexyDallas

Unread post by RexyDallas » 2020-10-29, 00:28

Moonchild wrote:
2020-10-29, 00:09
Moonchild wrote:
ALSO: please update to 28.15.0 if you haven't yet because we fixed a number of crashes in this release.
Will do so.