German dictionary not working anymore

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
ibmhal5678

German dictionary not working anymore

Unread post by ibmhal5678 » 2020-07-21, 20:03

I have used this addon quite from the beginning, it used to work with every Pale Moon version. Now with 28.11.0 it won't work anymore.

https://addons.thunderbird.net/de/seamo ... /versions/
Version 3.0.1 worked without issues until Pale Moon 28.10. Now PM 28.11.0 complains, that it won't work anymore, because addon isn't compatible with PM anymore.

https://addons.thunderbird.net/de/seamo ... /versions/
Basically the same, slightly different German dictionary, here version 2.0.6 was supposed to work with Pale Moon up until recently.

Both these addons are old style, not webext, so in my opinion this is clearly a bug in Pale Moon, old addons should keep on working forever. It's not that my life would depend on these dictionaries, but it would be nice, if that issue could be fixed. Hopefully it was an accidental regression and not a deliberate improvement, that led to this issue.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: German dictionary not working anymore

Unread post by therube » 2020-07-21, 20:14

See if the de-DE.xpi found there works.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-07-21, 20:36

Learn to search the board and read the release notes.

ibmhal5678

Unread post by ibmhal5678 » 2020-07-22, 16:57

@therube, yes, the de-DE.xpi works.

@New Tobin Paradigm,

I didn't read the release notes, just saw the other thread about add-ons not working anymore.

Was there a real technical or security reason for that change? Imo suddenly breaking support for add-ons, that worked for ages is plain wrong. Most of these old addons will never ever see an update again, and more recent releases of these add-ons (even if they are non-webext) usually won't work, because they rely on features only available on more recent FF versions. So a lot of users will simply be screwed.

You may be perfectly right(tm) for security or other reasons, but this doesn't help people, that rely on old add-ons.

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2020-07-22, 20:39

ibmhal5678 wrote:
2020-07-22, 16:57
You may be perfectly right(tm) for security or other reasons, but this doesn't help people, that rely on old add-ons.
I understand why this troubles some people, but you really must ask yourself "is a(n) (now unmaintained) add-on for Firefox the best and most realistic choice for use with Pale Moon, a different browser"?

Please try and understand.
ibmhal5678 wrote:
2020-07-22, 16:57
Was there a real technical or security reason for that change? Imo suddenly breaking support for add-ons, that worked for ages is plain wrong.
This has actually been a long time in the making. It has been made clear since Pale Moon users were notified here of temporary Firefox add-on support that that would not last indefinitely.

The Pale Moon team hopes that those who desire these add-ons (and have the will to work to keep them) will rewrite them (if legally permitted by the licence) to be Pale Moon add-ons, and help maintain them going forward.

Not everyone may be necessarily able to do that, but the team hopes that some will rise to the occasion here. That's the way that add-ons have always been: if the person who made them doesn't maintain them, they eventually become incompatible, unless someone else continues development/maintenance of the add-on themselves.
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020