caret (text cursor) not visible in Wikipedia search text field

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
ari5_96
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

caret (text cursor) not visible in Wikipedia search text field

Unread post by ari5_96 » 2020-03-15, 01:59

Using Pale Moon 28.8.4 64-bit, with default configuration (clean installation) on Windows 7 SP1 64-bit...

Go to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:S ... arch=test1 ("test1" can be anything as long as that page does not exist).

The resultant search results page has a text entry box - under the words "Search results" showing "test1". Click in that text box, then edit the text, and/or use the left/right arrow keys on the keyboard to move the text insertion point - the text insertion caret is not visible.

If you click on the Windows background, then on the browser window again (or Alt-Tab away from the browser and then back again) the text insertion point is visible again.

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: caret (text cursor) not visible in Wikipedia search text field

Unread post by Tomaso » 2020-03-15, 10:14

I'm not able to reproduce the problem at the moment, although I AM familiar with it!
I've actually never bothered to report it though, because I think it can be caused by various external factors.
Quite often for me, at places like GitHub, the cursor becomes invisible in Pale Moon.
To fix it, I've simply switched to a different tab, and then back again!

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2020-03-15, 10:44

Confirmed, initially.

On page open, test1 was pre-filled - and - there was a drop down "suggestion" box.
At that point, you could not interact with the search line.

Focus away, onto the page itself, then back to the search box & at that point, all was OK.

Thinking ? it's just a site oddity?

At that point, you could not interact with the search line.
Actually, you can. There simply is no visible indication.

And actually, maybe there is an issue on the PM end (as other browsers behave, differently)- unless it is just a sniffing issue going on.

Does not appear to be a UA issue. (At least changing the UA did not change behavior.)

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2020-03-15, 12:03

therube wrote:
2020-03-15, 10:44
maybe there is an issue on the PM end
Yeah, I've kinda been writing it off as a minor graphics- or mouse driver issue.
..but since I can't say that I've noticed it anywhere else, it might be a Pale Moon bug after all.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-03-15, 17:51

Or a specific quirk in how they are overriding the textbox default behavior.