odd behaviour hidden attribute/property Topic is solved

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
thosrtanner
Lunatic
Lunatic

odd behaviour hidden attribute/property

Unread post by thosrtanner » 2019-11-17, 10:13

Whilst I realise the documentation on the hidden attribute on MDN is confusing to say the least, and my reading of it may be different to other peoples, (for instance it appears to say it is both designed for the situation I want and should not be used in the situation I want). the actual attribute seems to behave oddly

I have a list of items, some of which I don't want to appear depending on the user ticking a 'show all' box. Collapsed doesn't work for this, as this merely blanks out the item, giving you a list with blank spaces in it.

So I tried with setting the hidden attribute. Which indeed makes the item disappear as I wanted. Except - when I clear the hidden attribute, the item doesn't reappear. I have to remove it and re-add it for that to happen. It's not a huge effort to work around, and it looks like what I wanted.

Except the scroll bar still assumes all the hidden items are there, and the scrolling can behave very strangely. Not just jerkily, which I could understand. For instance scrolling down can actually cause the display to re-show some items it had previously scrolled out.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this one of those areas of the system that is a bit of a Cinderella?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: odd behaviour hidden attribute/property

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-11-17, 10:15

Without actual details and code, it's impossible to tell what you are doing (and therefore to tell what you are doing is correct or to suggest alternatives)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

thosrtanner
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by thosrtanner » 2019-11-17, 11:52

The code is like this:

Code: Select all

function update_visible_group_list()
{
  const view_all = document.getElementById("viewAllViewSelected").selectedIndex == 0;
  //The first item in the collection is a listcol. We don't want to fiddle
  //with that.
  let item = document.getElementById("group-list-rss").firstChild.nextSibling;
  while (item != null)
  {
    item.hidden = ! (view_all || item.childNodes[0].getAttribute("checked") == "true");
    //browser issue - need to redisplay if we've unhidden
    //item.parentNode.insertBefore(item, item.nextSibling);
    item = item.nextSibling;
  }
}
where the xul is like

Code: Select all

<radiogroup id="viewAllViewSelected" orient="horizontal">
        <radio label="&inforss.group.view.all;"
               selected="true"
               onclick="viewAllViewSelected(true)"/>
        <radio label="&inforss.group.view.selected;"
               onclick="viewAllViewSelected(false)"/>
      </radiogroup>

<hbox flex="1">
      <listbox id="group-list-rss"
               flex="1"
               style="overflow:auto; border-width:1px; border-style: solid; min-height: 70px">
        <listcols>
          <listcol flex="0"/>
          <listcol flex="1"/>
        </listcols>
        <!-- arbitrarily repeated, generated by code -->
        <listitem>
          <listcell ...>
          <listcell ...>
        </listitem>
      </listbox>
      </hbox>

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-11-17, 14:04

You're iterating over listitem elements. These elements neither have a collapse nor hidden attribute/property because hiding/collapsing individual listitems was never an intended behavior. The fact that it even does anything to begin with is a layout quirk. Having list items hidden would not just mess up scrolling, but also navigation/selection since the items would actually still be there.

If you want a filtered view, then you will have to filter the actual items to display, and repopulate the list.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

thosrtanner
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by thosrtanner » 2019-11-17, 16:33

Ah, OK, thanks